Dolmar 5100S blew up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going no more then 2 week with my 2 stroke mix before I dump it in the riding lawnmower. I use to mix some old(no more the half a gallon and less then month old)with fresh and be okay with it. Now that I can't get non-ethanol laced gasoline. Ive stopped doing that and waste quite a bit of premix. Ive have had to retune all my saws. It seams to be okay, but I miss being able to store non-mixed fuel during the winter time. :monkey:

That's fine if you want to find out if your fuel has ethanol in it, but that is not the cause of your problems. What your dealer told you is a bunch of crap! I'm almost positive the Stihls come from the factory tuned to run on a percentage of alcohol. That is not the problem!

Wow someone sure had a bad day!

Maybe I can cheer you up with another story. Doesn't belong here I know but lets start.
I bought a ride on mower on friday. On Saturday first trial I run over a piece of wood with a screw (you guesed right) sticking out. Now that was a short first test run!:chainsaw: Call the dealer, he calls the manufaturer and they say not worth repairing buy a new tire at 145€=212$. :monkey: So I asked around also here in other threads and they say way to easy to repair. So I start calling around and find a dealer who has the right inner tube for 6€=9$. Get the tube go to a repair shop and have it put in (5min work time). Ask the boss so how much and he just says give the mechanic what you think. Give him 5€=7$ and drive home with a nice big smile on my face and a fixed tire in the trunk and some spare money in my wallet.

I can't see fuel going bad in 2 weeks. That sounds extreme. I know quality varies, but I leave fuel in my lawn equipment over the winter, including 2-strokes, and they fire right up and run perfectly in the Spring.

I have not had trouble running ethenol and MN has had it since I moved back in 01'. I tune my own saws, so they are set a bit on the rich side, but I have NEVER had a fuel problem with any of them. I have done the same as Brad as far as using stored fuel over winter. Normally, I like to use it up in 6 weeks. Even shifted to a gallon can(instead of 2) to use it up quicker.

My dad had some mixed boat fuel that sat over a year that I dumped in my 89' chev pickup. No troubles other than it is some oily gas. Wouldn't try that with a newer vehicle, but this pickup is the used fuel disposer at my house.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt it. Probably more like 10%, but I'm not sure. Again though, that's not a problem if the saw is tuned for it. It's only a concern for long term storage.

Ok, than....It's probably not the case here but theoretically speaking, could the OP have unsuspectingly bought fuel with a ridiculously high amount of ethanol (I know for a fact there's stations here in OH with 20%) and possibly the dealer tuned the saw right on the edge, not figuring for such high amounts of crapanol in the gas?

BTW.....The 50cc Stihl saws I've ran could have run on 2% USDA reduced fat milk so yea it's probably not an issue with them. :jester:

Last edited:
For the record, I'm a big fan of the 5100/7900 2 saw combo. Love both saws, they're a pleasure to run. Hope to own at least a 7900 in the near future. When my 026 retires,which it probably never will, it'll be a tough call between the 5100s and the 346. By no means am I wanting to add fuel to the fire, but, if it's the dealer setting the saw lean, why aren't they setting the 7900's lean?

I think it's a great saw also, just cannot believe that so many die an early death all relatd to poor fuel, fuel mixture, ethanol excuses. why wouldn't the 6400's and 7900's have similar issues if it truly is botched setup at the factory or dealer for that matter? It is inexcuseable that there are so many doing the same thing and no recall or service message to fix the problem. Seriously, isn't it kinda rediculous how many threads you have read here that start out with "blew up my 5100S..." CRAZY!!!

Scott

Last edited:
Yep, that's one Husky 435 lean seize, if we're keeping track. A homeowner model no less, not made in Sweden. Only several dozen to go to catch up with the 5100S. Anybody can blow one saw up, it's the gross number of failures that has set the 5100S apart. Ethanol be damned there is something up with these saws. Do Dolmar customers not ever tune their saws?!?!

Last edited:
For the record, I'm a big fan of the 5100/7900 2 saw combo. Love both saws, they're a pleasure to run. Hope to own at least a 7900 in the near future. When my 026 retires,which it probably never will, it'll be a tough call between the 5100s and the 346. By no means am I wanting to add fuel to the fire, but, if it's the dealer setting the saw lean, why aren't they setting the 7900's lean?

This is just a guess, but perhaps it's tougher for the 5100 to meet EPA emission requirements and comes from the factory set leaner in order to meet those requirements. AFAIK, there has never been any evidence provided that showed a problem other than them being set too lean, to be causing these seizures.

That's fine if you want to find out if your fuel has ethanol in it, but that is not the cause of your problems. What your dealer told you is a bunch of crap! I'm almost positive the Stihls come from the factory tuned to run on a percentage of alcohol. That is not the problem!

Stihls are run on and tuned at the factory on 10% ethonal mix. Make no mistake about it though, todays handheld power equipment is coming out the box set very lean to meet EPa standards. Ethanol is not the problem, excessive rpms out the box is the problem with most saws nowdays.

Oddly I have noticed the new strato models don't seem to have the excessive rpm problem out the box. All the 441's, new 181 and 211's, the new trimmers as well that I've sold all seem to come out the box at the right rpm levels. Seems to be the old standards that you really got to check closely.

Any dealer that is letting saws go out the door today, especailly the older models, had best check the rpms. Not doing so is risky nowdays and the bad part on the dealer is that it only takes a few seconds to check them and a few minutes at most to set them. Old timers can do it by ear almost. I'll be needing hearing aids soon enuff,haha..

Only several dozen to go to catch up with the 5100S.
:spam:

You also made this claim a few posts back.....Can you back that up with several dozen posts from different OPs that have had this problem?

Hell, how about just one dozen of them in the last year and I'll eat crow....Be sure to include the links so we all can see.

:spam:

You also made this claim a few posts back.....Can you back that up with several dozen posts from different OPs that have had this problem?

Hell, how about just one dozen of them in the last year and I'll eat crow....Be sure to include the links so we all can see.

You're ignoring the point. It's a fact that there have been problems with 5100s seizing up do to lean seizures. I'm not sure what your point is in trying to discredit his claim. Whether his number are correct or not, the intent of his post is undeniable.

For the record, I'm a big fan of the 5100/7900 2 saw combo. Love both saws, they're a pleasure to run. Hope to own at least a 7900 in the near future. When my 026 retires,which it probably never will, it'll be a tough call between the 5100s and the 346. By no means am I wanting to add fuel to the fire, but, if it's the dealer setting the saw lean, why aren't they setting the 7900's lean?[/QUOTE]

The 7900 is most likely a cleaner running engine than the 5100 so it doesn't need to be leaned to the hilt to pass EPA standards.

Believe it or not one major saw maker has been putting other brands through their own emission labs to see how well they do. The report on several popular models on this board is not very good at all. To pass some had to be leaned beyond what any 2 cycle motor could stand. Some of them included their own models which is why strato is here to stay for awhile.

This is just a guess, but perhaps it's tougher for the 5100 to meet EPA emission requirements and comes from the factory set leaner in order to meet those requirements. AFAIK, there has never been any evidence provided that showed a problem other than them being set too lean, to be causing these seizures.

For the record, I'm a big fan of the 5100/7900 2 saw combo. Love both saws, they're a pleasure to run. Hope to own at least a 7900 in the near future. When my 026 retires,which it probably never will, it'll be a tough call between the 5100s and the 346. By no means am I wanting to add fuel to the fire, but, if it's the dealer setting the saw lean, why aren't they setting the 7900's lean?[/QUOTE]

The 7900 is most likely a cleaner running engine than the 5100 so it doesn't need to be leaned to the hilt to pass EPA standards.

Believe it or not one major saw maker has been putting other brands through their own emission labs to see how well they do. The report on several popular models on this board is not very good at all. To pass some had to be leaned beyond what any 2 cycle motor could stand. Some of them included their own models which is why strato is here to stay for awhile.

I'll buy that.

:popcorn::popcorn:

You're ignoring the point. It's a fact that there have been problems with 5100s seizing up do to lean seizures. I'm not sure what your point is in trying to discredit his claim. Whether his number are correct or not, the intent of his post is undeniable.

My point is I dislike exaggerated claims....I've never said this wasn't a problem but to claim, as if he has some proof, that dozens upon dozens of 5100s have had this problem is over zealous bashing at best.

I can recall maybe a 1/2 dozen posts in the last year....I could be wrong, feel free to correct me.

My point is I dislike exaggerated claims....I've never said this wasn't a problem but to claim, as if he has some proof, that dozens upon dozens of 5100s have had this problem is over zealous bashing at best.

I can recall maybe a 1/2 dozen posts in the last year....I could be wrong, feel free to correct me.

Relax Fast, the issue is with the maker and EPA. It can be easliy resolved with a tack and screwdriver at time of sale at the dealer. The dealer just needs to be more aware of what he is letting out the door nowdays..

Latest posts

Back