Dolmar 5100s died

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RNeurath, D&D Enterprise outside Salem is a good Dolmar dealer. I got mine last spring for $380. But I have to warn ya it is in the country.

I also have a 5100 at the dealer since oct, dealer called me a month ago and said it may not be covered under warranty because I tried to adjust the carb myself. I told him why would I adjust a saw that is running correctly. I have not heard back I assume he is waiting on a response from dolmar. My saw was only used for about 1 or 2 months. It had the same problem as the op. If I knew then what I know now would have bought a husky. since my saw has been at the dealer since oct, the dealer has only called me twice.

Sounds like you need to become "Agent 004 Ultra" and sneak a picture.....

All three were from this brown looking gas that smelled real bad ....LOL

The owned figured out after smoking three saws he might see what was wrong ......

Other was a MS 460 ..........

Stale gas has a bad affect on saws and brands dont matter ... :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

I also have a 5100 at the dealer since oct, dealer called me a month ago and said it may not be covered under warranty because I tried to adjust the carb myself. I told him why would I adjust a saw that is running correctly. I have not heard back I assume he is waiting on a response from dolmar. My saw was only used for about 1 or 2 months. It had the same problem as the op. If I knew then what I know now would have bought a husky. since my saw has been at the dealer since oct, the dealer has only called me twice.

Now that sounds like my 385 when new in early 2002...

All three were from this brown looking gas that smelled real bad ....LOL

The owned figured out after smoking three saws he might see what was wrong ......

Other was a MS 460 ..........

Stale gas has a bad affect on saws and brands dont matter ... :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Bad gas is never a good thing.:fart:

If they come from the factory set for non-ethanol gas, and you use E10, they are going to be lean.

WRT the "wot". That number is a fiction.. or a rough guide at best. Whether a saw runs at 14k or 15k won't make a heck of a lot of difference to life UNLESS it's set too lean. Every manf sends the saw out from the factory set to pass EPA. Why? it's the law... And yes, they are set real lean because most saws today barely pass the regulations if they aren't.

As for WOT.... Stihl numbers are mid-point and can vary +/- 1000 rpm for "correct tune". A dealer is not allowed (by Federal law) to enrichen the carb anymore than the factory allows. Great...

The last part is a little unclear Andy......there is a provision for retuning the carburetors for optimum performance and lifespan but the law wording makes it difficult to say who would be allowed to do it...dealer or manufacturer.

The written documents are fairly clear that to purposely defeat or disable any emissions device is illegal.

I have had the same problem with one of mine. I have heard Im waiting on his dolmar rep to give him the okay. I have two other 5100 that haven't given me any trouble.

Stopped by the local Dolmar dealer today. New 5100 $385 with a 18" bar and chain + tax 7900 $709 + tax. I asked if he adjusted the 5100 before sending them out, said he couldn't, carbs weren't adjustable, I'd think because of the caps. He had a fried 5100 that a friend bought in the back. If I bought a 5100 from him I'd pull the caps and adjust richer warrenty or not. Steve

How many saws does it take with similar problems before a manufacturer will address the problem? It kinda sounds like a crap shoot on getting a good 5100. I had almost bought one of these but went with a different manufacturer's who's saw had a much longer track record for reliability. It may not set the world on fire with cutting speed or it's out dated anti-vibe, but it is rock solid and it has cut alot of wood with 0 problems. I'll keep watching and good luck with the 5100's.....:popcorn:

Mike

How many saws does it take with similar problems before a manufacturer will address the problem? It kinda sounds like a crap shoot on getting a good 5100. I had almost bought one of these but went with a different manufacturer's who's saw had a much longer track record for reliability. It may not set the world on fire with cutting speed or it's out dated anti-vibe, but it is rock solid and it has cut alot of wood with 0 problems. I'll keep watching and good luck with the 5100's.....:popcorn:

Mike

So you got one of the 026/260s that idles fine on the ground

:laugh: No, Shindaiwa 488.:cheers:

The Shiny 488 is a nice saw. I like that saw. Not the fastest , not the smoothest but runs and runs and runs. We had one in the yard used for sawing lumber. The guys beat that saw to hell but it ran and ran for many years....

New guy here.Great forum.I have been interested in buying a 5100 and the bashers don't scare me away but price just might.I'm in southern In.and the closest dealer in Louisville,Ky is pricing these at $460.00.You guys paying that much for these and are there any other options?Amick's list them for $395.00 but I guess no online sales.Thanks,Ron

Southern Indiana also... I payed $409 with a 20" bar just last month. I went to Owensboro, KY to get mine.

Regarding the question of 10% ethanol being used in Dolmar saws. Here is the e-mail I sent to the factory last year:

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Roger Hall
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 11:35 PM
To: support
Subject: Sent via www.dolmarusa.com

Hallo

Sie haben eine Nachricht von: Roger Hall bekommen
Nachricht
-----------------------------------
Hello, I have just purchased a ps7900. It is a fantastic saw. However, while reading the owners manual in the fuel section I found that fuel that contains alcohol is not supposed to be run in the saw. I live in Michigan where all fuel contains a minimum of 10% ethanol. Is there something that I should do to make sure the saw is not harmed? Thank-you for your help. Roger Hall

This is the reply:

The saws are set up to accept and run properly up to 10%. When you use 20% the saw will not run properly.

-----Original Message-----
To: "Green" <[email protected]>
Sent: 2/12/2008 7:13 AM
Subject: FW: Sent via www.dolmarusa.com

Don't let a dealer tell you 10% voids the warranty.

Roger

Regarding the question of 10% ethanol being used in Dolmar saws. Here is the e-mail I sent to the factory last year:

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Roger Hall
Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 11:35 PM
To: support
Subject: Sent via www.dolmarusa.com

Hallo

Sie haben eine Nachricht von: Roger Hall bekommen
Nachricht
-----------------------------------
Hello, I have just purchased a ps7900. It is a fantastic saw. However, while reading the owners manual in the fuel section I found that fuel that contains alcohol is not supposed to be run in the saw. I live in Michigan where all fuel contains a minimum of 10% ethanol. Is there something that I should do to make sure the saw is not harmed? Thank-you for your help. Roger Hall

This is the reply:

The saws are set up to accept and run properly up to 10%. When you use 20% the saw will not run properly.

-----Original Message-----
To: "Green" <[email protected]>
Sent: 2/12/2008 7:13 AM
Subject: FW: Sent via www.dolmarusa.com

Don't let a dealer tell you 10% voids the warranty.

Roger

I'll be dayumm another Roger Hall, I have a brother named the same, cool beans.

I see that e-mail reply came from Terry Green, the Dolmar rep. Good to see he's still at work with Dolmar. He seems like a good guy...

That is kind of funny Tom. I ordered some parts from Spike yesterday and he asked if I was related to you!

Roger

Latest posts

Back