Dolmar 6100 vs ms362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flotek

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm really on the fence and weighing what to do . Stihl has such great dealer networks and the 362 seems like it's a good setup especially after it's broke in and muffler mod I can get one with 20" bar for 699 $but the dolmar. 6100 Is at 574 $it seems to it's equal but there's only two dealers around kind of far and both shops are not really professional business setup s'more like a lawn mower guy in a lean too off a garage kinda thing . The dolmar is said to have great power has 2 yr warranty but it's kinda ugly and just has a cheap looking feel and fit to it ( very poulon -esq ) the Stihl has great features and like all stihl pro saws it's gorgeous it's well designed and of excellent quality however the warranty is only 90 days. ! Id like to get the dolmar but no one seems to have a 6100 and reviews are scarce and I don't want to drop. 6 bills and have a unreliable terd with poor service . Whst should I do who has run both . They are very similar saws in weight power and price .. is the stihl worth the extra 130$ Is the dolmar a well guarded secret in the saw world that I'm not realizing .

Last edited:
flotek. I can't comment on the saws, but concerning the Stihl warranty, I'm 99% sure you get a one year consumer warranty (two years if you buy a six pack of ultra mix or pre-mix). There was a thread on here recently about it. I was "kicking the tires" of an MS261 a while ago and the dealer was telling me about the extended warranty if I buy a six-pack when I purchase the the saw. Here's the link (note that if you are NOT earning money with the saw, you're good to go AND the only product it does not apply to is the concrete cutter):http://www.stihlusa.com/information/warranty-service-info/engine-oil-double-warranty/

They are both well built saws. Unless your commercial you should get a 2yr warranty on the 362 if you buy a 6pack of ultra oil.
The dealer service should be a part of where you purchase and that should help you decide on the brand. Dolmars are great saws but the dealer network isn't the greatest.

I like the 6100 better than the 362. And I have used both.

That said I also would not buy a new chainsaw from a distant guy in a lean-too who may not be able to service the saw correctly to boot.

Just because there is no fancy store doesn't mean he's not a good dealer. My Dolmar dealer works out of his garage as a second job. I couldn't ask for a better person. Stihl dealer was going to get my business but the manager opened his mouth lost a sale . I'm really satisfied with my saw .

Go with the brand that has the best dealer support in your area.
It sucks to deal with a nit wit dealer that's only concerned about sales and doesn't care about service and support. Parts availability, down the road, is something to think about as well.

Although you didn't ask about the Husqvarna 562 or Jonsered 2260, both are great saws. I'm a Stihl guy but own and love my 562. If you have a good dealer close, both are worth a look.

Good luck, however you decide to go.

I've sold a number of 6100s since they came out and we have nothing but good reports on them. I agree on the looks, but any saw that eats wood sure looks pretty when the chips are flying. The 362 is a good, good saw, but like you say, add the 6 pack of oil and tax and is it $150 better? I'd contend that it isn't. Stihl fanatics will contend otherwise. I agree with a previous statement, if the dealer is operating out of the back of his van I don't care as long as he is knowledgeable and committed to doing the right thing by his customers. Trust me, some of the worst experiences in the world are with the big place. Walmart- do you go there for personal service and quality goods? I say try to run them both to compare in your own mind how you like them, make the decision on which dealer will have your back regardless of fancy store front, and pull the trigger.

Thanks guys see my stihl dealer with the good price is really pompous as soon as I mentioned dolmar was also a consideration he immediately said they were gas hogs and slow even my 290 farm boss I'm replacing would beat a 6100 . Which made me reconsider going through his shop because I read reviews stating the exact opposite and YouTube videos show the 6100 absolutely ripping logs up !also he says he will decide on the problem if there's warranty work involved says he will " know " if it's been used hard or for commercial use ( which it won't) I don't want to trust this mans judgement he doesn't look like he has personal integrity I may need later . The dolmar dealers are Amish and handyman shops not very business like per say either but they probably would stand by their product line . The stihl dealers are all really high on price compared to the rest of the country it seems

Thanks guys see my stihl dealer with the good price is really pompous as soon as I mentioned dolmar was also a consideration he immediately said they were gas hogs and slow even my 290 farm boss I'm replacing would beat a 6100 . Which made me reconsider going through his shop because I read reviews stating the exact opposite and YouTube videos show the 6100 absolutely ripping logs up !also he says he will decide on the problem if there's warranty work involved says he will " know " if it's been used hard or for commercial use ( which it won't) I don't want to trust this mans judgement he doesn't look like he has personal integrity I may need later . The dolmar dealers are Amish and handyman shops not very business like per say either but they probably would stand by their product line . The stihl dealers are all really high on price compared to the rest of the country it seems
Are you near meyersdale pa

True but I'd trust owners and video over a dealer . I'm in nw pa.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. Buy from the dealer that is the most knowledgeable. I have sold several 6100's and had good reports back on them and I have one personally that is sitting in TN awaiting its turn to be ported. 1 of my guys just traded his 6400 for a 6100 but I haven't had the chance to run a 362 yet.

Go for the 6100. Even an equal price or even higher price for the 6100 would let me run to a remote dealer for the buy.
The Stihl dealer you talked to is probably very scared by now ventilating crap like that.
I'm not that bothered with a Dolmar dealer that's not close by. Why would you. The saws are built to last.

Wolter

Latest posts

Back