Dolmar 7900 "dirty engine"???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way i heard it from my dealer is the 7900 will be cat free for 1 more year. They are on back order right now but will be avalable in a few weeks.

Cat free sounds good to me. I can't believe they can't leave anything alone. Iam going to try and contact a sponsor. Thanks for all the info.

Makes sense - since the US-spec 6400 is equipped w/ a cat in order to be EPA compliant, I'd imagine the 7300 and 7900 need one as well, but only the 6400 is offered w/ a cat. Perhaps the cat restricts too much flow to be suitable for the larger motors.

The non cat 7900's are banned, just like many non strato non cat saws. The 7900's from now on will have cat mufflers, at least this is what I think is going on, I hope they're not gone for good. Because of this the 7900's are in short supply right now.

If it was just a cat muffler bolt on to get it to comply you would think it would have been done by now. Makes me wonder if still didn't pass with the cat on it and they are working on plan B. (whatever that might be...)

Scott was at our Dolmar distributor today to pick up some oil & saws and he saw a pallet of 7900's that came in today. They still have the stock muffler but they are limited on how many can be imported. But the 7900's have taken another price increase a few weeks ago.

has anyone ever seen a cat on a saw that big? my guess is the whole damn thing would melt!

Dolmar has been running the Cat on the 73cc Cut Off saws for a few years now.

I gotta throw a Cat muffler on a 7900. They sound awesome on the PS-6400.

I live in the Orlando area and priced out a 460 today. After reading all the great reviews about the 7900 decided to price out one too.

Went to Dolmars website and got the number for the closest dealer. Called them up to get the price. The lady said that her pricing book only went up to the 6400 and that she would have to call me back.

She calls back later and says that the 7900 has a dirty engine and is banned in the us now. And gives me the price for the 6400.

Is there any truth to this?? Anyone else get the same story. I blew up a 441 ( I had several problems with it) and was thinking of trying another brand. Any info would be appreciated.

Iam going to call the Other dealer Dolmars website gives out tommorow. Its just a long drive to get there.
Dirty engine is a term invented by EPA and CARB (California air resourses board). The stoichiometry of internal combustion engines suggests that a larger engine will use more fuel and therefore produce more emissions than a smaller one. It is labeled as "Dirty". There are certain displacements that are considered "Clean". It is a system that lacks logic. That is what forced Stihl to produce the MS650. They would rather you run 5 small chainsaws, than 1 big one. At any rate, before you spend your money, call Dave Milliken at 250 282-0001, he is a very nice guy and a sponsor on this site. Even with shipping it might be cheaper to buy a 7900 from him. He is a Dolmar dealer in BC Canada

Potential bad news for 7900 fans.

Called a site sponsor that was recommended to me. Said that he could not ship to me due to his contract with dolmar. Which I undertand

He also said that he cannot get anymore 7900s either. He said he believes that it is going to be even more than a cat muffer but a stratoengine. That just sound like SH!t to me. I hate the epa and ethanol equally.

After realizing that I can't get a 7900 down here Iam looking at this.

Bailey's - Makita DCS6421 64cc Chainsaw with 20" Bar & Chain & 84cc Upgrade Option

How close to a 7900 is this. Does it use the same oiler, pull starter, etc? I rebuilt a 660 and a 441 would this saw be about the same to change out the BIG BORE?

The base saw is exactly a 7900 with different colors and a smaller p/c (also the cat muffler). Changing the top end will be no different than doing the top end on a 660 or similar pro saw.

After realizing that I can't get a 7900 down here Iam looking at this.

Bailey's - Makita DCS6421 64cc Chainsaw with 20" Bar & Chain & 84cc Upgrade Option

How close to a 7900 is this. Does it use the same oiler, pull starter, etc? I rebuilt a 660 and a 441 would this saw be about the same to change out the BIG BORE?
same exact saw except for p&c, colors and decals.

That combo deal is pretty sweet.
The other option would be the same saw from HD for $472 + $180 for an OE 7900 top end.

Do a search, tons of info on the upgrades, pros, cons, install pics, etc. Very popular saw/mod with generally rave review results.

Being that my Dolmar dearlers around here are basically useless, where is a good place online to buy most of the wear parts for a Dolmar. Like carb kits etc. Baileys doesn't seem too. Maybe i just don't know what all the numbers mean on the carb kits. Going to keep reading today to try and inform myself.

Being that my Dolmar dearlers around here are basically useless, where is a good place online to buy most of the wear parts for a Dolmar. Like carb kits etc. [snip]

The boys from The Cutting Edge above (166 and cuttinscott) or Kyle from Edge and Engine.
They are both excellent dealers and ship parts.

There's a couple of more Dolmar dealers here but can't recall who ATM.

My dealer told me 7900's are still not available and he was told June would be the earliest he would be able to order them. Might be a few heated handled versions available though. No news on whether they will have a cat or not.

Look forward to a revolutionary new 7900 sometime later this year!

Potential bad news for 7900 fans.

Called a site sponsor that was recommended to me. Said that he could not ship to me due to his contract with dolmar. Which I undertand

He also said that he cannot get anymore 7900s either. He said he believes that it is going to be even more than a cat muffer but a stratoengine. That just sound like SH!t to me. I hate the epa and ethanol equally.

IMHO strato engines are a plus, nothing wrong with them at all, and a much better than simply using a cat muffler.

My dealer told me 7900's are still not available and he was told June would be the earliest he would be able to order them. Might be a few heated handled versions available though. No news on whether they will have a cat or not.

Look forward to a revolutionary new 7900 sometime later this year!

DON'T hold your breath! I remember how long it took for the PS420 and the PS5105 to arrive after word got out about them! From what I hear is the next new DOLMAR will be in the 55-57cc range. Not sure if it will be a new big block design or....................

Latest posts

Back