DOLMAR 7900 - is it a piece of JUNK?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do you come up with this information (or lack thereof?). Around here we've been running ethanol-free fuel in EVERYTHING (outboards, chainsaws, string trimmers, 2 stroke bikes, etc.) ever since they came out with the ethanol crap. Saves TONS of hassles with equipment used only seasonally.

Are you next going to tell me that 4-5 years ago, when ALL gas was ethanol-free, we imported all our gas from Canada?

We import more oil from Canada than we do the Gulf, they are our main source,...but that's not what I was referring to....that's where the "if i'm not mistaken" part comes in. I don't know if we get any ethanol-free fuel from Canada, that would be privledged information and way beyond my paygrade.

What I was referring to is the fact the OP lives in Washington State, and i'm aware that gasoline comes from the refineries in pure gas form then is mixed with the lovely ethanol at the distribution centers, which is why marinas etc, can have the good stuff. Now this is no lie...I heard it from a Stihl guy...:taped: but "rumor" is that sometimes the northern states, may get a truckload of E0 or ethanol free from our northen neighbor, Since some states or jusrisdictions will not allow gas to get distributed without a 10% blend.

I probably should have been more clear on that......I don't know for sure but I was merely suggesting that to be sure, get a fresh can of fuel from a busy station and roll with the 10%.

If that's not the case then so be it, I have no problem being wrong....been there.:D

We import more oil from Canada than we do the Gulf, they are our main source,...but that's not what I was referring to....that's where the "if i'm not mistaken" part comes in. I don't know if we get any ethanol-free fuel from Canada, that would be privledged information and way beyond my paygrade.

What I was referring to is the fact the OP lives in Washington State, and i'm aware that gasoline comes from the refineries in pure gas form then is mixed with the lovely ethanol at the distribution centers, which is why marinas etc, can have the good stuff. Now this is no lie...I heard it from a Stihl guy...:taped: but "rumor" is that sometimes the northern states, may get a truckload of E0 or ethanol free from our northen neighbor, Since some states or jusrisdictions will not allow gas to get distributed without a 10% blend.

I probably should have been more clear on that......I don't know for sure but I was merely suggesting that to be sure, get a fresh can of fuel from a busy station and roll with the 10%.

If that's not the case then so be it, I have no problem being wrong....been there.:D

OK. Sorry if I came on a little strong:msp_smile:. There is another thread currently circulating with some misinformation about non-ethanol gas and I had just read that, too.
I'm no expert on fuel blending and where we get ours either, but it seems it would be cost prohibitive to truck non-ethanol gas all the way from Canada, unless you live in Washington State, like he does. There are multiple lists of gas stations that sell non-ethanol gas (Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada & Find ethanol free gas near you!), so trucking it to places like Texas, as well as here in VA, would likely be cost prohibitive.

What I'm getting at is the non-ethanol gas is not likely to be the OP's problem. Where I work we have a fleet of 5 boats we use to run hundreds of trips a year, going through thousands of gallons of non-ethanol gas. When they first switched over to fuel with ethanol we had problems with the boats. Then we started getting non-ethanol fuel delivered to our gas tanks (one 250 gallons and one is 500) that we use to fill our boats. End of fuel related problems.

I, and the others where I work, also use non-ethanol fuel in all our personal, seasonally used equipment including things like chainsaws, trimmers, blowers, mowers, boats, etc. I also know several people who own lawn care businesses. They use non-ethanol fuel, too, without problems.

It seems to be just like the gas you used before all this ethanol fuel became so prevalent. We gladly drive a little further, and pay 30 to 40 cents more a gallon, to get non-ethanol fuel. But we are lucky to live in an area where it is fairly easy to get, too. If you look at the lists of areas where they sell the non-ethanol fuel, it seems to be focused on non highway uses such as agricultural and marine use. It is usually easier to find it in rural areas than in the cities, unless you go to a marina. It's worth the trip, though. Treat it with Stabil and you are good to go for at least 6 months.

Again, I apologize if I was overly critical.

On my 7900's, when it kicks the first time with the choke out - it pops the compression release out. You have to push the compression release back in to then be able to pull the starter handle with the choke off.

Note - -

To start my 7900's when still hot - - I pull the choke "out" and immediately push it back "in" to put the carb on high idle for starting.

Someone earlier mentioned it's hard to hear the first pop. With my old ears I rarely hear the first pop. Good tip there W8ye on the comp. release button poping out - let's you know it's popped if ya can't hear(like me). Also, thanks for reminding me of how to set the idle fast. I kept trying to do it like I did on my 32 yr. old 056 to no avail. I'm sure I knew it last fall when I read the manual but that was long forgotten(memory stinks nowadays).

Actually got some wood cut yesterday. Went out after my tutoring here and that sucker started up in 2 pulls, just like my Stihl did for 31 yrs. :msp_smile: - before I loaned it out.

Someone earlier mentioned it's hard to hear the first pop. With my old ears I rarely hear the first pop. Good tip there W8ye on the comp. release button poping out - let's you know it's popped if ya can't hear(like me). Also, thanks for reminding me of how to set the idle fast. I kept trying to do it like I did on my 32 yr. old 056 to no avail. I'm sure I knew it last fall when I read the manual but that was long forgotten(memory stinks nowadays).

Actually got some wood cut yesterday. Went out after my tutoring here and that sucker started up in 2 pulls, just like my Stihl did for 31 yrs. :msp_smile: - before I loaned it out.

That's what we like to here! :clap: Now where are the action pics??? Did I miss them? No pics => it never happenend! :msp_wink:

Yes Sir, I'll bet it does. Looked all over for it last night but it was misplaced along w/my memory:msp_smile:

I hear you buddy and share your pain... its like that old adage says, "of all the things I've lost... I miss my mind the most!" :msp_smile:

We import more oil from Canada than we do the Gulf, they are our main source... I don't know if we get any ethanol-free fuel from Canada...

That'd be true folks, Canada is your largest supplier of oil. Then its mostly refined in the US as we have next to no refineries left up. Which partially explains (other than corporate and government greed, but thats a whole other matter) why we pay a good chunk more for gas than you guys. I highly doubt any ethanol-free product originates here...

Man...

I would of chimed in right away and had you straightened right out with how to start these beast, but I was out cutting with mine:rock: only 3 trees though! Same thing with the one I bought my brother, a minute on the phone and had it running hot to trot......Love the saw....

That's what we like to here! :clap: Now where are the action pics??? Did I miss them? No pics => it never happenend! :msp_wink:

OHHHHHHHHH, that's is way too funny:msp_biggrin: This'll fit in well w/my MO I've shown here lately. Can't find my nice Sony camera I bought a few years back and when I do find it, good luck trying to figure it out again how to use it and then post pics if I did figure it out.

Maybe I'll post a thread here shortly on my SONY - is it JUNK?:hmm3grin2orange:

Well if it's a few years old then you can't take photos with it only videos! (even better :D) Now if you post a pic of the camera, maybe we could help you faster.....

:laugh:

I am willing to be that the low setting for the carb needs to be adjusted. Pull the top cover off and remove the plug. You need to determine if it is flooding or lean. If it is dry put a little squirt of gas down the carb and see if it pops. If it does then the low setting on the carb is probably to lean.

I had the exact same problem with my 7900 and the problem was the low mixture adj. was to lean, turned it out (counter clock) about 1/3 turn and now it runs and starts as it should, also needed to set the idle a little higher after low adj.

Most of these carbs have 3 settings. One is a low setting for when the carb is at idle and when it just comes off of idle to accelerate. One is a high setting for when the saw is at full throttle. Then there is a stop adjustent that is a screw that provides a stop when the throttle is released which sets the idle rpm. The first two are needle jets that actually affect the mixture of gas going into the carb. Sometimes if you look on the cover or on the carb itself you will see a H or L indicating which is which. If the low setting is to lean because of emissions standards from the factory they can be very hard to start because they just do not get enough gas. Turning a jet out or CCW richens the mixture. Like what previously mentined here on by one of the guys sometimes all it take is a 1/3 of a turn.

Thanks for this tip on the 7900. A quarter turn out on the LOW screw solved my hot starting problem. :cheers:

I can't speak for the 7900 as i've heard many great things about them but I also posted many threads over the 5100's that were outlasted by homeowner stihls. Chances are the advice on flooding is true but I say this with respect if thats the case maybe you should rethink owning a saw that powerful, my 13 yr old son is helping out when he can and outside of rope tending his primary job is refueling, touching up chains and making sure that when needed the bigger saws are warmed up and has no problems firing a 90cc saw with no decomp needed. On another note all the dolmar dealers around my parts dumped them for service issues. I compare the dolmars to the 6.0 liter powerstokes, when they are running they're great but thats about it!

The 6.0 stroke is a pretty good engine "after" you fix it...with the head repair. The annoying part is it took ford so long to NOT fix it at the factory.
This is coming from a Cummins owner.

The 6.0 stroke is a pretty good engine "after" you fix it...with the head repair. The annoying part is it took ford so long to NOT fix it at the factory.
This is coming from a Cummins owner.

They are a few problems to be address with the 6.0
#1 TTY head bolts stretching and causing head gasket failure. Fix= ARP studs and stock head gaskets.

#2 Egr cooler failure caused by fords gold coolant flash boiling and cause the silicate to turn in to a gel over time, causes the rupture of the egr cooler.
fix= egr delete or bulletproof egr cooler.

#3 clogged oil cooler. Cause by silicate flowing back throw the oil cooler.
Fix= chemical flush, replace with oem oil cooler and run a coolant filter. Or replace with a bulletproof diesel system.

#4 HPOP STC fitting, fitting wears out over time cause low high oil pressure. Fix= replace with ford updated solid fitting.

#5 Stand pipes and dummy plugs. Over time develop a leak cause low high oil pressure. Fix= replace with updated part.

#6 turbo drain and feed lines. Factory lines are restrictive. Fix= replace with updated lines.

#7 low fuel pressure. Fix= replace with ford blue spring fuel pressure kit.

#8Low FICM voltage. Kills the injectors if not fixed. Cause by low battery voltage. Fix= replace battery's and FICM.

That in a clam sell is what needs to be fixed. There are a lot of other problems but these are the main issues.

They are a few problems to be address with the 6.0
#1 TTY head bolts stretching and causing head gasket failure. Fix= ARP studs and stock head gaskets.

#2 Egr cooler failure caused by fords gold coolant flash boiling and cause the silicate to turn in to a gel over time, causes the rupture of the egr cooler.
fix= egr delete or bulletproof egr cooler.

#3 clogged oil cooler. Cause by silicate flowing back throw the oil cooler.
Fix= chemical flush, replace with oem oil cooler and run a coolant filter. Or replace with a bulletproof diesel system.

#4 HPOP STC fitting, fitting wears out over time cause low high oil pressure. Fix= replace with ford updated solid fitting.

#5 Stand pipes and dummy plugs. Over time develop a leak cause low high oil pressure. Fix= replace with updated part.

#6 turbo drain and feed lines. Factory lines are restrictive. Fix= replace with updated lines.

#7 low fuel pressure. Fix= replace with ford blue spring fuel pressure kit.

#8Low FICM voltage. Kills the injectors if not fixed. Cause by low battery voltage. Fix= replace battery's and FICM.

That in a clam sell is what needs to be fixed. There are a lot of other problems but these are the main issues.

These are the reasons Ford sued International/Navistar for the money they lost in warranty work, and Ford won the case. International simply couldn't develop the new engine to meet Ford's schedule. They rushed the engine to Ford, before they preformed proper testing of the emission control systems. These systems created mostly one very bad thing, heat. The emission systems simply didn't work. Without the emission control on the engines, they ran really well and were very reliable/durable, even the head bolts weren't an issue. Ford had little involvement in the development of the 6.0 and short lived 6.4 or any previous light truck Diesel engines from what I know. 2011 was the fist year for a Ford along with Anstalt für Verbrennungskraftmaschinen List of Austria, developed a diesel truck engine. Ford also had to buy the Power Stroke name from International when they parted ways.

Last edited:
These are the reasons Ford sued International/Navistar for the money they lost in warranty work, and Ford won the case. International simply couldn't develop the new engine to meet Ford's schedule. They rushed the engine to Ford, before they preformed proper testing of the emission control systems. These systems created mostly one very bad thing, heat. The emission systems simply didn't work. Without the emission control on the engines, they ran really well and were very reliable/durable, even the head bolts weren't an issue. Ford had little involvement in the development of the 6.0 and short lived 6.4 or any previous light truck Diesel engines from what I know. 2011 was the fist year for a Ford along with Anstalt für Verbrennungskraftmaschinen List of Austria, developed engine. Ford also had to buy the Power Stroke name from International when they parted ways.

I wondered why the VT365 was relatively trouble free (as was the VT275 V6 version), while the same engine (6.0L PSD) in Ford pickups was such a lemon.

I wondered why the VT365 was relatively trouble free (as was the VT275 V6 version), while the same engine (6.0L PSD) in Ford pickups was such a lemon.

Funny isn't it? The heavier vehicles were in a different classification, so the emission control systems were not needed. The 6.0 and 6.4 were at their core really good engines.

Bought me a Dolmar 7900 brand new last year. Wore out my shoulder trying to start the darn thing. FINALLY got her running, quite impressed after that. Used it once. Sat her down in my shed, leaked ALL the bar oil out onto my cedar floor just sitting there upright :( . WTF , over???? Just now got her back out for a day of woodcutting tomorrow. Put fresh gas in her, same thing -won't start. I know it's getting spark cause a little smoke was coming outta the muffler as I pulled and pulled and pulled.........:angry: Bout ready to throw the damn thing in the lake and buy me another Stihl. Is there some secret to starting these things? Paid a hefty sum for it, very dissapointed. Any hints or tips on how to get this finnicky thing running would be greatly appreciated. Had me a Stihl 056 for 30 years and NEVER had to pull on the rope more than twice, NEVER! What really sucks is I bragged to all my friends about it, 10 lbs. lighter than my 056 and about the same power. When it runs it's great, kinda hard to cut wood though when it won't fire up.:(
Hey mate I recently purchased one, it starts completely differently to my husky.... husky is choke on full pull pull till it fires, choke off and pull till it starts. However this chainsaw will not start like this, I either choke on full for one pull and back to start position and pull till it goes or no choke and pull to start, not sure why it starts like that but works for me.

Bought me a Dolmar 7900 brand new last year. Wore out my shoulder trying to start the darn thing. FINALLY got her running, quite impressed after that. Used it once. Sat her down in my shed, leaked ALL the bar oil out onto my cedar floor just sitting there upright :( . WTF , over???? Just now got her back out for a day of woodcutting tomorrow. Put fresh gas in her, same thing -won't start. I know it's getting spark cause a little smoke was coming outta the muffler as I pulled and pulled and pulled.........:angry: Bout ready to throw the damn thing in the lake and buy me another Stihl. Is there some secret to starting these things? Paid a hefty sum for it, very dissapointed. Any hints or tips on how to get this finnicky thing running would be greatly appreciated. Had me a Stihl 056 for 30 years and NEVER had to pull on the rope more than twice, NEVER! What really sucks is I bragged to all my friends about it, 10 lbs. lighter than my 056 and about the same power. When it runs it's great, kinda hard to cut wood though when it won't fire up.:(
Choke on, throttle open, drop start it until it pops, choke off. pull and it lites right up. If it dont somethings wrong.
This how I start mine works all the time.

Choke on, throttle open, drop start it until it pops, choke off. pull and it lites right up. If it dont somethings wrong.
This how I start mine works all the time.
That's how ALL my saws start except my 7900. With the 7900, choke for one (and only one) pull, then straight to fast idle until it starts. If you pull more than once on choke, it floods like crazy. Mine never pops, but will start on about 2-3 pull on fast idle. Been that way since I brand new

Back