Dolmar 7900 owners?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wishie22

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What bars, chain, and gauge are you running?

I'm currently running the standard 20" Bar Chain Pitch: 3/8 " Chain gauge: .050" full chisel.

Looking to get a longer bar for the larger things that get in my path. :chainsaw:

I'd go for a 28", 3/8 chisel, full comp.

No need for sprocket change for the .050 or .058 on the 28".
Would a skip run better or slow the cutting down and not worth it?

Diced up a 44" maple today and it was a :censored: not having the extra...usually in hardwoods also.

Sprocket should be able to handle the thicker gauge, but your bar can't. You have to run .050 chain in an .050 bar, and .058 in an .058, etc. Skip would be better if you were running a 32", or a 36" bar where the saw couldn't handle all the cutters digging into the wood. The 7900 has the power to pull the full comp in decent sized wood, so going to fewer cutters would probably slow you down a touch, but then again, it has more chip clearance which makes up for a little.

If you're racing in big wood you'd probably have to time your cuts to tell which was faster.

Hopefully Andyshine will weigh in on this. His saw's are outta control, but I think I like his stock 7900 the best

U still haven't got one, what are you waiting for? :chainsaw:

Been running more than some others at the jobs. Its not waxed or spit-shined but maintained, and Not tossed around like some (other gents I work with) saws when something goes wrong. It is used to buck up wood, and it is good at it. Been grabbing it over the 026 even for limbing (on the ground), just faster to get the job done. Suspension has loosened up and have the dealer looking into it, he replaced the front spring (no nothing broken just soft) for now. Have ran it hard on 10 HR days, I was tired but my hands weren't vibrating, as they do when running the 026 for 2 HR.

Man can it noodle,,,,:smoking:

I like it.:)

Sprocket should be able to handle the thicker gauge, but your bar can't. You have to run .050 chain in an .050 bar, and .058 in an .058, etc.

Yup, understand that (the sprocket is the same for .050 & .058), would have to change if I was to run a setup for .063, etc.

Skip would be better if you were running a 32", or a 36" bar where the saw couldn't handle all the cutters digging into the wood. The 7900 has the power to pull the full comp in decent sized wood, so going to fewer cutters would probably slow you down a touch, but then again, it has more chip clearance which makes up for a little.

If you're racing in big wood you'd probably have to time your cuts to tell which was faster.

Maybe one day with some new chains in the future.:chainsaw:

20'' .058 gauge Oregon lgx for most of my cutting and 28'' .050 gauge square ground for big wood. I had to go .050 can't find .058 anymore in Square or at least around here. Not that it matters about the gauge size but it is nice to be able to run all the same size chain.
edit always full comp

What bars, chain, and gauge are you running?

I'm currently running the standard 20" Bar Chain Pitch: 3/8 " Chain gauge: .050" full chisel.

Looking to get a longer bar for the larger things that get in my path. :chainsaw:

currently: Sugi-hara 20" 3/8 .50 + oregon lg
backup: stihl 18" ES 3/8 .50 + stihl rsc
rainy day: stihl 28" ES 3/8 .50 + stihl rsc
feeling crazy: stihl 16" E 3/8 + stihl rsc

I run a 24 in bar, 50 gauge 3/8 full chisel. It's long enough I can cut standing up and short enough to keep my retarded self out of the huge stuff.

Mine both generally wear 28 inch full skip square. Monster noodlers. Pulls full comp easy, but I run full skip on 28 and up generally.

Where can I get an adapter to run ES bars?

Last edited:
Back