Dolmar Air Filters Leaking???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeInParadise

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
I have never noticed a problem with any dirt getting past my saw filters but I am usually pretty good about keeping the saw air filters clean as i usually blow off the saws every day.

However, I as I type this I am cleaning up and putting away for the winter my,

Murray Push Trimmer,
Lawnmower,
Tiller,
WoodChipper,
Echo brush cutter
5500 watt Generator

and I can tell you that I have not been that good on cleaning the filters on the lawn equipment.

Especially the murray push trimmer ...Geesh I only used it 4-5 times but I lent it to the neighbour out at the woodlot to do his 12 inch grass and man was it dirty.

rayIN

rayIN

ArboristSite Member
Dust always gets in my Domar (DCS510 - makita colored) tried several filters, clean / change every tank - Unless I'm in really clean wood, I get dust at the elbow prior to the carb. Just the way it is for me.

So
1) cleaning it more often and reg, maintainence doesn't help (couldn't hurt)
2) I'm really glad someone posted about the fluid film

I don't post here much, but have lurked for years. This is the first new piece of information I can use for my real dolmar issue. There's a bunch of regular posters (know it all's) who wait to cry "you're doing it wrong" "the filters too dirty and that's the only reason" (I haven't searched their posts, but I'll bet each have taken the opposite position on occasion - that being if you don't clean the filter it will plug up and run rich, but I digress)

but URharrie - you are in the minority trying to help with somethiing new, instead of reciting the obvious.

bcorradi

bcorradi

Arboristsite.com Sponsor
and.. just because the filter is dirty doesn't mean it's not working just fine... as anyone working at the servicing end of the business will attest, a clean filter is a rare find... and most have been dirty for weeks to months (and the saws run fine).

I rarely check mine even daily or weekly unless milling (fine dust, and you're down in it).
Yeah I guess I'm not saying action needs to be taken daily, but I have a heck of a time remembering if I checked it last week, last month, or two months ago so thats why i normally check it after every cutting. If saws had hour meters it probably would be easier to monitor maintenance routines. This may very well be overkill, but as long as you have it in your scheduled maintenance routine (no matter if that is every day, every week, every month) then it will probably won't pose any problems.

Trigger-Time

Trigger-Time

Addicted to ArboristSite
I kind of wonder how much this real fine saw dust hurts (wears)
the PC, or is harder on the bearings. I would think that what
made it to the combustion chamber would just burn up.

bcorradi

bcorradi

Arboristsite.com Sponsor
I think the fine dust, which is pretty abrasive and is usually mixed with fine particles of dirt, is real hard on the intake side of the piston. If you pull apart a saw that was run with a regularly dirty air filter, the skirt on the intake side well be real thin. It can eventually break off causing other damage. Now concrete saws are even more crucial in regards to keeping the air filters clean. You can imagine how much abrasion damage concrete dust can have on the internals of saw.

grandpatractor

grandpatractor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Different strokes for different folks!

Not sure why everyone is getting their undies in a bunch? What works for one doesn't always work for everyone. On my 5100 the donut under the filter wasn't glued on quite straight and let in a little dirt/dust. I just repositioned it and put on some of Moddoo's special mesh around the air filter and I haven't had any more problems. I am a mechanic and I get kinda anal about maintainence and I don't neglect my tools/toys. This worked for me but may not work as good as fluid film or some other option. Just having a variety of information is good.:cheers:

PES+

Addicted to ArboristSite
I had wondered about Uwharries original "paper" reference

Paper filters have been tried on various chainsaws with less than stellar success.

There have been problems with Huskies and Jreds very much like this problem where there is a poor air tight fit between filter and intake which have been addressed.

I wonder if the majority of complaints on the 5100 may be coming from Air injection cleaner users which allow the bad habit of not even opening the air cleaner cover for a week or more.

I cannot see how spraying the outside of the element and not dealing with the area where the dirt is getting by can improve things but if it works do it.

No matter what brand of saw sir filters need to be kept CLEAN as once they plug, the engine will pull air from any place possible and leads to wear of throttle shaft and choke shaft bores. (Particularly with users switching from Husky/Jred saws to Stihl compensated saws and not cleaning enough)

Latest posts