Dolmar CT - Can't find ANYTHING about it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danandel

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm new everyone, and the reason why I signed up and how I found all of you, is because I picked up a Dolmar CT at the auction yesterday. Bargain, but the thing doesn't go. I've figured out it has irregular spark, pulled it to pieces and am trying to find parts & information. Does anyone have a lot of experience with these CT's? Anyone have a service manual for it? Are they even any good? It certainly looks like a beast and weighs the part.....
Thanks a lot !
El

Well i could be wrong but if i recall right the last of the Dolmar CT were sold by Victa Australia back in the early eighties i sold them then as breaking down saws in mills as they were just too heavy to lug around the bush a nice saw to collect with more than enough grunt with a long bar in hardwood best left to the collectors now.

Mc Bob.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...e318ba9a81f7ebf988256af9006088dd?OpenDocument

Last edited:
Shame

Thanks mc Bob, hopefully we'll be able to get it to go. It seems so chunky, and after the last chinese chainsaw we had (the husband smashed it on the concrete and burnt it until only the crank was left) I was certain this one would do the trick. We only want to cut some firewood every now and then, it seemed to have plenty of power. The others died, as the wood lying around the place is old, dry and full of dirt.... Anyway, thanks for your reply, it seems worth the effort anyway!

Cheers, very helpful!
Went to chainsaw dealers today and got told parts are pretty well extinct. Most likely it's the ignition trigger, and he reckons the big end is gone too, rattly.... We'll pull it apart tomorrow and have a look!
Thanks all!

Cheers, very helpful!
Went to chainsaw dealers today and got told parts are pretty well extinct. Most likely it's the ignition trigger, and he reckons the big end is gone too, rattly.... We'll pull it apart tomorrow and have a look!
Thanks all!

I know P&C kits are still available in germany, and while this saw has been built well into the eighties, I think other parts are still available....but quite expensive. Is your dealer a dolmar one ? Ask him to liaise with dolmar directly.
let us know

The CT uses the same module you need for your 041

Check the IPL

Welp, Archie, that's indeed the same, good catch there. I have a CT but don't recollect seeing that trigger unit on it. The CT had different versions so maybe it's a certain type that was equipped with that type of ignition.

I still have to try that jumper wire you suggested....to little time for the moment, grrrrrrr.:cheers:

Once you posted the later pics

I recognized the ignition.

The later CTs had it as did some of the Dolmar powered cut off saws Wackers?....I can't remember all the different brands

I had never seen one on a Stihl

On my monitor the first pics you posted still look like there is a plug lead coming out of the module which threw me....digital pic compression makes for weird distortions

Last edited:
The CT uses the same module you need for your 041

Check the IPL

Thanks guys, the dealer didn't actually ring anyone, but I've emailing around to plenty of other dealers & Dolmar directly, but have not received an answer yet. Just wondering, IPL? What's the IPL? We've got a few things to check up on now, will start with the wire from trigger to coil. Thought parts wouldn't be as hard to find, I'm starting to wonder whether she's worth it?

Thanks guys, the dealer didn't actually ring anyone, but I've emailing around to plenty of other dealers & Dolmar directly, but have not received an answer yet. Just wondering, IPL? What's the IPL? We've got a few things to check up on now, will start with the wire from trigger to coil. Thought parts wouldn't be as hard to find, I'm starting to wonder whether she's worth it?

IPL=Illustrated Parts List :cheers:

Never give up on a Dolmar, if it isn`t busted up or split open from an accident they can be fixed almost indefinitely. It just takes time and some money for parts but if you don`t depend on it for work or your only running saw take the steps necessary to fix it and bring it back to life. The knowledge and experience you will gain will not be a heavy load to carry and the confidence and pleasure will show up when she`s up and roaring. IMHO
Pioneerguy600

Thank you for the motivational talk, we'd love to fix her cause she seems such a beast! We are thinking of buying a brand new Stihl, as we are relying on it a bit, it's going to be freezing very shortly and we have no firewood... We are going to try and fix it, but parts have still not turned up, no one seems to want to know about it. Someone said the module was the same as a 041, so we're looking into that. But then there's still the question whether the big ends are any good...
Will keep you updated!

Big End

Thank you for the motivational talk, we'd love to fix her cause she seems such a beast! We are thinking of buying a brand new Stihl, as we are relying on it a bit, it's going to be freezing very shortly and we have no firewood... We are going to try and fix it, but parts have still not turned up, no one seems to want to know about it. Someone said the module was the same as a 041, so we're looking into that. But then there's still the question whether the big ends are any good...
Will keep you updated!

If you are referring to the Piston and Cylinder condition do a compression check and pull the muffler off and take a look at the piston for scoring.. I wish I could help you with the ignition but the Bosch Ignition System that saw used was discontinued years ago.. Your only hope might be to look for a donor saw for parts. If you decide Not to revive the ole CT give me a shout Ill buy it for a parts saw.

Scott

Latest posts

Back