Dolmar/Makita questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but the distinction was that prior to Andreas Stihl and Emil the saws were big industrial ones.

These two fellows made them portable, as in two people could sort of carry them around and use them and I believe the distinction between them from what I've read was that Emil Lerp used a petrol powered engine before Stihl, who used an electric motor for his first one.
Lerp's saw was carried into the forest and used, rather than just at a mill.

It was still a fair while before the one man operated chainsaw as we know it came about, the saws that Stihl and Lerp (Dolmar) first made were huge.

:agree2:

Jonsered used to brag about the first true one-man saws, but their first saws (XA, 1954) were just refined Comets that came out in 1949 (Norwegian brand, but I believe most parts were made by Jonsereds). I also believe that the French PKK brand beat them to it, and maybe more.....

As always, it is back to how you define a "chainsaw".....:msp_sleep:

Well after using it on a couple trees now, I love it. Seems the 20 inch bar is about right for what I do. I can't believe how easy it is to keep cuts straight with the bumper spikes. :yoyo:

Chopper.... Did you ever get this saw yet? I got $472.00 eating a hole in my pocket..

Nope, not yet. Delivery time is 2 weeks from the date of order, so the ETA is the 30th.

Can't wait!:blob4:

EDIT: Just checked the HD online order status and the ETA has been bumped to 4/5 . . . and the product to be delivered is a 6421. $472 for a $600 saw aint too bad!

Last edited:
Chopper.... Did you ever get this saw yet? I got $472.00 eating a hole in my pocket..

Called HD to see if they could have the saw "expedited", since 4/5 is beyond the original ETA. From speaking to the HD person, it seems that HD (at least my local one) is now aware that the 6401 is NLA and that it needs to "update its catalog".

In other words, don't be surprised if you run in to your local HD to buy one at $472 and find a piece of tape obscuring the price posted in their tool catalog. If you realy are interested in getting the saw at a $125 discount, I'd run in there today and place your order before the catalog is "updated".

Picked-up the new 6421 from HD today. It came early.

The saw was still in my local HD's catalog and listed at $472, price good through 7/11.

makitanew.jpg

Called HD and they seem lost on this

The saw was still in my local HD's catalog and listed at $472, price good through 7/11.

makitanew.jpg

I called my local (S.C.) and national Home Depot offices and all they find is some electric Makita chainsaw. Do you have a SKU number and/or an HD catalog number that you can share? Or the phone number for your local store?

Beautiful saw, BTW. I've been looking at the Dolmar/Makita 50 cc saws but would prefer a larger one.

I called my local (S.C.) and national Home Depot offices and all they find is some electric Makita chainsaw. Do you have a SKU number and/or an HD catalog number that you can share? Or the phone number for your local store?

Beautiful saw, BTW. I've been looking at the Dolmar/Makita 50 cc saws but would prefer a larger one.

Very interesting. I ordered mine via the Aspen Hill, MD HD's rental dept. I'll check my paperwork for the specific info when I get into the office tomorrow.

Thanks re the saw. Played hooky today and put it through its paces in some oak. Truly is a great saw!:rock:

makitaelkneck3.jpg

makitaelkneck.jpg

Very interesting. I ordered mine via the Aspen Hill, MD HD's rental dept. I'll check my paperwork for the specific info when I get into the office tomorrow.

Thanks re the saw. Played hooky today and put it through its paces in some oak. Truly is a great saw!:rock:

Wow! Great pics. I did get a call back from HD and they also said to check with a local store with a rental dept.

Tell me about that black air cleaner on your saw in these pics.:blob2:
Thanks for the information!

Wow! Great pics. I did get a call back from HD and they also said to check with a local store with a rental dept.

Tell me about that black air cleaner on your saw in these pics.:blob2:
Thanks for the information!

Thanks. :msp_smile:
Yeah, I think you need to visit a rental center equipped store.

That's the Dolmar HD filter kit, mentioned briefly/previously in this thread. Do a search for it - tons of info/pics/vid in here about it. It gets very high marks. I got the matching black cyl cover from a dolmar dealer for $18. Tis a crime to not color-coordinate one's saw, ya know!:laugh:

Well.. I went to HD today to try to purchase a 6421... The price in the catalog is still $472. So I told the guy I want to order one... He said he's never ordered out of the catalog and didn't know how to do so..

I'm going back Monday after work when there manager will be there to try to order one then.. Hope the price is the same... will see...:cool2:

Also on a side note the catalog still has the 6401 model number listed.. I didn't tell the rental guy that as I didn't want to confuse him even more.. Or give him a head's up the the 6401 in no longer available.

Thanks for the heads up Chopper.. would give ya another rep... but it won't let me.. sorry..

Also on a side note the catalog still has the 6401 model number listed.. I didn't tell the rental guy that as I didn't want to confuse him even more.. Or give him a head's up the the 6401 in no longer available.

Thanks for the heads up Chopper.. would give ya another rep... but it won't let me.. sorry..

No problemo, and thanks for the rep!

Yeah, it seems people never order through the rental guys. The guy working at my HD's rental desk had no clue also. I filled-out the purchase order and he said he'd post it on the wall for his mngr to follow-up on. I returned a few days later and it was still posted on the wal - LOL!

Few weeks later when I went to pick the saw up, the rental dept guys first looked at me like I was crazy, then had no idea where the saw was located, etc. and had to search for it. Finally found it in a totally different HD Dept.

Somehow I get the feeling that nobody orders new through the rental dept . . .

Interesting - I just noticed that my 6421 has a plastic bushing/plug blocking access to the "H" carb adjustment screw. Its actually a PITA to remove. After tugging on it w/ neadlenoses and prying on it w/ a screw driver, I just left it alone . . . for now.

I wonder if this is an EPA thing, or some sort of "tell-tale" in the event that the saw burns-up and a warranty clam is made - ie. evidence that the saw was not tuned by an authorized Makita dealer/service center.

The saw seemed to be tuned pretty rich out of the box, but with about 3 tanks having been run through it now, it seems just about "right" - but still 4-strokes every once in a while in the cut.

Well.. It took me a bit longer than what I was wanting, but Today I went to HD and ordered the Makita 6421.. Can't wait till it gets here..

Thanks for the heads up Chopper..

makitanew.jpg

Latest posts

Back