Dolmar/Makita questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using the information in this thread, I went to HD this afternoon and ordered one.

It was "Click" - "Click" - "Click" no problem. The catalog was out in front of the counter where you could browse through it.

He wrote it up as a DCS640120 and the computer took it. I told him that was the 2010 model and what might happen. He thought it would go through as a 6401 for it was in the catalog. We'll see in about 10 days? It is not so important to me about 6401 or 6421 but I would rather have the 01.

The only real issue here is the 6401 vs the 6421 is:

The 6421 has a cat muffler, and looks like chopper found out it also has a cover over the H adjust for the carb.

I plan on running mine stock for the 1 year warranty period, but after that I will replace the muffler (which I think Baileys is working on making a replacement kit) and remove the H adjust cap to tune the carb, along with a 84cc BB kit.

I ordered 1 from my local home depot a few days ago.
I just got a call this morning saying that the 6401 is no longer available only the 6421...(not exactly new news)
They were not willing to honor the $472 price.

Needless to say I'm kind of bummed

Whoa. I would make A LOT of noise about that, especially if it is printed in their catalog. That's a classic "bait & switch" routine and illegal.

"Well, we cant sell you X at Y price like we advertise, but we can sell you Z at Y + $100." :hmm3grin2orange:

Homie don't play dat . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

I wish I would have read your post earlier. You're very correct. I didn't really think about that.
They were basically blaming Makita. The Makita rep said that they were aware that they were out of the 6401 but didn't want to reprint the catalog page. To try to make it up to me they offered to sell me a rental saw for $150. I talked them down to $125 and took it. It's a little beat up but they said it had been straight gassed and they P&C had just been replaced. I took off the muffler and it does look brand new. I'll tear it down next week and clean it up and see if there's anything that needs replacing. I could likely sell it for at least double on Ebay if I wanted.

With that said, I still want a *new* one and I'll try another Home Depot and see if I get a different result.

I'll let you know my results.

I wish I would have read your post earlier. You're very correct. I didn't really think about that.
They were basically blaming Makita. The Makita rep said that they were aware that they were out of the 6401 but didn't want to reprint the catalog page. To try to make it up to me they offered to sell me a rental saw for $150. I talked them down to $125 and took it. It's a little beat up but they said it had been straight gassed and they P&C had just been replaced. I took off the muffler and it does look brand new. I'll tear it down next week and clean it up and see if there's anything that needs replacing. I could likely sell it for at least double on Ebay if I wanted.

With that said, I still want a *new* one and I'll try another Home Depot and see if I get a different result.

I'll let you know my results.

That's too bad. Great deal on the used one, though.

Sounds like Makita is hip to what's going on. I wonder if HD Makita sales have "spiked" recently . . . and I wonder if Makita or some of their other vendors have seen this or similar threads? LOL!

But ultimately, its HD's obligation to stand by their advertised price - period. I'd make a big stink and insist next time. Good luck!

I ordered 1 from my local home depot a few days ago.
I just got a call this morning saying that the 6401 is no longer available only the 6421...(not exactly new news)

and what is their list price for a 6421 ?

and what is their list price for a 6421 ?

They said $589 was about their cost and they'd let it go at that, he didn't give me a list price. I'm kinda thinking that's BS since that's Baily's price.

Like I said, I'm going to try another H.D. and see if I get any better results.

Take the cover off and push or drill the plugs out.

Just got my 6421 and once you pop that cover off. ( takes like 5 seconds with the small carb screw driver) There is no limiter on the carb adjustments. Repeat there is no limiter. Like an old stihl there is just springs too keep the screws from turning. Makes it very nice to rich up when you add the hd filter kit and a bb kit

They said $589 was about their cost and they'd let it go at that, he didn't give me a list price. I'm kinda thinking that's BS since that's Baily's price.

Like I said, I'm going to try another H.D. and see if I get any better results.

Thanks mate.

While they are still cheaper than here, with Intl postage and the ability to claim the tax back here (for me) it works out at roughly the same price buying here now at that price.

I went to HD today to check on my Makita 6401 that I ordered last week.

I got the same sad story as posted previously. That the 6401 was no longer available. That the 6421 was going to be $689 etc etc.

So I got my money back and went over to The Dolmar dealer and bought a Dolmar 6421-24. He offered me one with a 20" laminated bar at the same price as Bailey's wants for the 6421 Makita but I opted for the 24" bar. I'm supposed to pick it up Friday.

Looking in the catalog, the listed dealer cost for a Dolmar 6421 with the laminated 20" bar is $579

Now I have a companion for my other Dolmars

Well, I tore apart the rental saw I bought...Not exactly the best deal. I just spent another $80 on replacement parts. It was a little more beat up than I thought. With that said, It starts right up. I need to borrow my Brothers compression tester just to see where it's at.

I did stop in at another H.D. on Saturday to "try again" on a new one. Let just say that I will raise hell if they deny me again.

I'll let you know hoe it goes.

To be fair, chances are one of the home depot brochures or catalogs has "prices and/or specifications subject to change without notice" somewhere in the fine print. We all know that the saw companies seem to be pretty mystical about if and when they're going to release a new product, and it seems that they are no less vague and spontaneous with retailers like the home depot as they are with consumers and or other dealers.

Home depot could certainly afford to give you the saw for less than they paid for it even, but at the end of the day, if you get a low price they're being forced to essentially eat the costs of the makita group's poor communications. It's not like they chose to start stocking the 6421, that's what they get now.

Interesting, I just checked my order online. They cancelled the order for the 6401 but created a new order for the 6421.

I just hope the didn't add a charge on my CC.

Can't wait to see how it ends up.

To be fair, chances are one of the home depot brochures or catalogs has "prices and/or specifications subject to change without notice" somewhere in the fine print.

Actually, the fine print says "price guaranteed through 7/1/11".

This is a pretty simple case of false advertising. I just left HD, and the 6401 is still in the catalog @ $472, guaranteed through 7/11.

On top of that, once you pay your dough you have a binding contract for the saw at the price paid.

This one is a no-brainer, guys.

Actually, the fine print says "price guaranteed through 7/1/11".

This is a pretty simple case of false advertising. I just left HD, and the 6401 is still in the catalog @ $472, guaranteed through 7/11.

On top of that, once you pay your dough you have a binding contract for the saw at the price paid.

This one is a no-brainer, guys.

i don't see false advertising going on. if the 6401 is not available(discontinued), catalog can say anything it wants on a guaranteed price thru 7-11 because if its not available- its simply not available. the guaranteed price is for the 6401, correct?? so you can wait for the 6401 to go back into production so you can get your guaranteed price of 479$ for a 6401( better be before 7/11), or pony up the extra for the 6421 because that is all that is available. i dont think your so called binding contract states you purchased a 6421, does it?? different saws= different part #s. they are doing what any bussiness does, they tell you to go pound sand because they cant aqquire and sell you a saw(6401) that is no longer available, so here is your money back or you can order the replacement model(6421) for 100$ more.

by the way, im upset at myself for not getting the 6401 last fall when i heard the 6421 were coming out. procrastinating just cost me more dough.

i don't see false advertising going on.

If HD did not know that the 6401 is NLA, they would be in a slightly better position. However, since they do in fact know that the product is NLA, it is illegal for them to advertise it at a guaranteed price, take your money/order for the product, let you wait a week for it, and then tell you "oops, sorry, but for another hundred bucks we can sell you the 6421".

I dont know what kind of legal background you have, but if the answer is "none", you may want to look-up "bait and switch". This is a textbook case of it.

Back