Dolmar Or Makita

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gafirefighter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to try out a 7910 the other day. I will say, I was not interested in Dolmar prior to this point. I can no longer make that statement. So now I have one other saw to add to the list. Here is the real question though... My father in law is a manager for a tool company. One of the brands that they carry is Makita. He just so happens to have a 6421 sitting on the shelf. He could not remember the exact cost, but it is in the neighborhood of $450. Would it make more sense to buy the 7910, or to buy the Makita and find a 7910 jug and cylinder? It seems like the cost has gone up on the new Dolmar saws, so I just do not know what would be cheaper. I guess in the long run, does it really matter?

I hate to tear a new saw apart, lol, but if I bought the Makita, I could reduce the squish a bit in the process.

Thanks,

Adam

I did this 2 yrs ago.

I tried getting a used Home Depot 6401 but they were uncooperative on selling me a used one and outrageous in price on a new Makita 6421.

At the time Bailey's was selling the Makita 6421 for $600.

I went to my local Dolmar Dealer and he agreed to sell me a Dolmar 6421 for $600. I did a little figuring with the costs of the 7900 cylinder and I could save a little over $100 by buying the Dolmar 6421 and converting it to a 7900. I got all the parts from the Dolmar dealer. We are not far from the regional distributor and the saw all the parts came the next day on the brown truck. The chainsaw was never run as a 6421 except at the factory.

I wasn't long after that, the price of the Dolmars went up in a pretty good jump.

There is no difference in Makita and Dolmar except the color.

Dolmar7900HDltft.jpg

I may get lucky and be able to pick up a demo model from the Makita rep. We shall see Monday. Is there a good source for the cylinder, piston, and muffler?

Adam

I may get lucky and be able to pick up a demo model from the Makita rep. We shall see Monday. Is there a good source for the cylinder, piston, and muffler?

Adam

Edgeandengine.com is where I got my cylinder from. Was happy with their price and service. But even with the 79cc its still a little girl saw.:hmm3grin2orange:

Don't be tempted to use the aftermarket stuff - it is only good when ported by an expert on that saw, as I understand it....

I definitely want to stay oem on this one... I just found it on the site. Nice kit. It says it works for the 6401. I assume it will also work on the 6421?

Adam

I definitely want to stay oem on this one... I just found it on the site. Nice kit. It says it works for the 6401. I assume it will also work on the 6421?

Adam

I would think that it should fit the 6421 also.When your ready for parts just call them and explain what conversion your doing and they will set you up with all the correct parts.Thats what I did and I talked to Kyle.

Don't be tempted to use the aftermarket stuff - it is only good when ported by an expert on that saw, as I understand it....

I've had no problems with my BB kit installed two years ago. Ran it today. It is one mean SOB with a 24" b/c. Runs side by side with my 385 xp. Blue or orange eenie meanie miney mo ..
I say buy what ever kit you want but try and wear out the 6410 p/c first....bet you can't !!!

Latest posts

Back