Dolmar PS352

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, do we hate or love outboard clutches?
I feel like this is a retorical question but...

Some guys (mostly husky guys) like outboard b/c they believe it gives a saw better balance. I would prefer an inboard clutch b/c rims are easier to swap and chains easier to mount. I don't think it really matters for balance; there are plenty of great inboard clutch saws out there. 026/036 Stihls ring a bell...

Speaking of clutch and rim... Does the new saw come with spur or rim drive?

Maybe I missed it but do we have a ETA to USA market on the 352/ea3600?

Type in 'chainsaw inboard Vs outboard clutch' into google.
What you will find is every link will have input from a guy who holds the world record for the most number posts on chainsaw forums. :reading: :numberone:
The guy holds very strong opinions on the topic....... I would go as far as to say he gained the world record on the back of talking up the virtues of outboard clutches.:surprised3:
I personally prefer inboard

Maybe I missed it but do we have a ETA to USA market on the 352/ea3600?
havent heard anything about this one but guessing that we are waiting on EPA approval and that is just based on the last thing i have heard about the top handle dolly.

two bar studs
041 oregon bar tail
captive bar nuts
actual chain catcher
chain tension adjusting device in the clutch cover
possibility that that black substance that clamps the bar is metal.
peg between the two bar studs

if the IPL i saw is this saw, the bar mount will be plastic but it does have a vertically split crankcase.

if the IPL i saw is this saw, the bar mount will be plastic but it does have a vertically split crankcase.

I suspected there was plastic/composite behind that plate the bar rests on the powerhead side. I was wanting to discuss if that black part of the cover is metal so a large shadow effect is seen on the bar instead of two circles.

Forgive my ignorance but how much more advanced is this saw than the larger Dolmars?

Forgive my ignorance but how much more advanced is this saw than the larger Dolmars?
Go back to post #33. As far as more advanced not all the "larger Dolmars" are equally advanced the way I see it.
There is a video showing the gasses, 3 colors with the thing running in an animation that popped up after the imbedded video in a thread somewhere on this site. At least it is out there probably in Makita blue where ever it is.

vertically split case. http://ecatalog.makita.co.jp/flash/administrator/14/#54

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1055208871184686&set=p.1055208871184686&type=3
13010626_1055208871184686_828464655858392634_n.jpg

It looks like a standard piston and cylinder to me (non-stratto) with some changes to the carb box area and bottom end air flow. Looks like the carb is isolated from the secondary air flow path so hopefully the carbuation will remain fairly standard and easy to tune.

I was already looking at the muffler to see what was going on there. NO CAT! Waahoo! Looks like a standard roll crimp can with internal diffuser. Wonder if they will be stainless?

I'm probably wrong about the above since I'm not able to watch the animated version.

Go back to post #33. As far as more advanced not all the "larger Dolmars" are equally advanced the way I see it.
There is a video showing the gasses, 3 colors with the thing running in an animation that popped up after the imbedded video in a thread somewhere on this site. At least it is out there probably in Makita blue where ever it is.

That didn't help me but nuesteve's post helped a bit. I guess it's not self evident that I don't know the internals of these saws very well :D

That didn't help me but nuesteve's post helped a bit. I guess it's not self evident that I don't know the internals of these saws very well :D
Look at the blue air flow... Traditional saws didnt have a secondary intake that leads into the bottom end just the primary (green). It kinda almost looks like that feeds fresh air to the bottom end and maybe even back around to the exhaust??? Looks like the muffler and top end are standard pieces but the difference will all be in air and fuel delivery and how it gets to the bottom end.

Either way don't worry, I will probably have one as soon as they come out (or even before some dealers?). I'll tear it down and play with it to show all the in's and out's of the new saw design. @166 is going to get one to me somehow! ;)

Wait, do we hate or love outboard clutches?
We love inboard clutches especially when we screw up felling a rotten leaning tree and pinch the bar and are lucky enough to remove powerhead to safety and use a back up saw or same saw with a different bar and chain. I've been that guy. As for the main topic new saws are cool unless we can't buy them in the states or are teased for a long time until they are available.

We love inboard clutches especially when we screw up felling a rotten leaning tree and pinch the bar and are lucky enough to remove powerhead to safety and use a back up saw or same saw with a different bar and chain. I've been that guy. As for the main topic new saws are cool unless we can't buy them in the states or are teased for a long time until they are available.
Well said. That is why I say an out board clutch is ok on limbing saws because you can move the limb by hand. Alsour putting a short bar and chain on an outboard clutch saw is not so bad. A long bar and chain on the hand is a real bear!

Latest posts

Back