DOlmar ps510 carbuerator adjustment screws missing.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ambrose21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just bought a Dolmar 510 off of ebay. (bad idea right.) But the place where the adjustment screw for the carb are missing. can you guys fill me in if they are like this or what is going on?

can you take a look at the pics. because the stuff that is in place of the screws is hard. doesnt seem like it would scrape away easily.

It's epoxy. So a little heat and a dremel tool are your friend. Or go to a dolmar dealer and tell him that you want to cut wood on the next montain top and without proper adjustment your saw will fry. They should exchange the carb for free.

but the carb is definitely not right. it wont idle without shutting off and it is running really fast. and really really hot.

you guys are not making any sense. does my carburetor need to be rebuilt or do I need to kill my cat?

Last edited:
Do some searches on mufflers and carbs and read it's all here.

1. Open the muffler and take out the catalytic element. Your saw will weigh now a pound less.
2. Either dremel out the epoxy or get a new carb and retune.

you guys are not making any sense. does my carburetor need to be rebuilt or do I need to kill my cat?

That made me laugh pretty hard:laugh:

Message a nstueve he has a pretty nice trick at removing the epoxy. That's one of the 2 things that dolmar did that satisfied the epa.

just bought a Dolmar 510 off of ebay. (bad idea right.) But the place where the adjustment screw for the carb are missing. can you guys fill me in if they are like this or what is going on?

Bad idea to buy an ebay saw? I don't know about that. Although it is always nice to support the local dealer if you can... a saw doesn't know it was bought from ebay.

I went through the same thing you did, but I never removed the epoxy (chickened out). I've heard a couple strategies. I can tell you that the epoxy is very hard and not very burnable. Someone told me they had success removing that aluminum shroud first...

Whatever you are going to do, don't do anything until you ponder the following: If you take it to the dealer now all you need to explain is that you got it from a friend or online and could he help. If you take it to the dealer after you bugger the carb up you have more splaining to do as it becomes hard to warranty broken stuff. I guess what I"m saying is if you think you will need advanced help or end up at the dealer for this, go there first!

If that was my saw, i would take the carby off and slowly grind off the end of the cover that is over the mixture screws until i could see the ends of the mixture screws. It looks like the mixture screws hold the cover on, so once you can get a screwdriver onto the mixture screws, unscrew them completely out and see if the cover will come off and then just screw the mixture screws back in like on a real carby.

Way to go guys bust a Newbies chops. You can tell by his post he knows little if any thing about saws. I thought we were here to help people guess I was mistaken.
To the OP (original poster)If you can't get the epoxy out or screw up the carb. PM ( private message) me.
There was IIRC (If I remmember correctly) a recall on this carb any Dolmar Dealer should replace it free.
Shep

thanks alot guys. it's at a shop getting a tune up. the recall was interesting though. I might want to investigate that. Wish I bought from the dealer. but hindsight is always 20/20.

Best of luck to the OP. Geez, thats pretty lame, not even the dealer can adjust it. Think I'll hold off getting a Dolmar until they come up with their own version of Autotune/M-tronic.

They cover the carb screws with plastic. If you use the saw for like 30+ hours ect. If the spark plug is a nice brown color and the saw runs great. Forget what anyone else says.

Removing the cat muff, only makes it run a bit cooler. Unless you're cutting many tons of wood a year. Don't think about it. Even so, its not a huge must do right away thing.

Back