dolmar ps7900 or stihl ms 460mag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know the true weight of the saw?

The filter, is it a fleece filter or the nylon "winter" type filter? I have seen some mention on their website about using the fleece filter in dryer conditions. Not sure what comes standard.

I don’t know the actual weight of the 7900 but I think the quoted number is right around 14lbs or close enough to a husky 372 that there really is no difference. Stock filter is a fleece filter.

bought a ps-7300 last week and love it. 3 pulls cold and its up and running ready to go. had to leave my ms 270 there on trade, he gave 250$ for it.
great saw.

ms 290 is gone, theres so much info on here i cant take it all in on one sitting. to me the stihl felt lighter, the demo dolmar looked like it had better days, but felt hevy. I noticed the handle on them, the dolmar is more of a angle, stihl seems to be straighter and more comfortable to me. but for a $50. to $75. is it worth it. a lot of loyal people on here to their products they run!!!

yea getting that feeling also. my take on any thing is its gonna break, some time, some how, some way. if i bought today it would be the stihl just because of the potential to stop by and pick it up and go. buying tomarrow so i can sleep on it.

yea getting that feeling also. my take on any thing is its gonna break, some time, some how, some way. if i bought today it would be the stihl just because of the potential to stop by and pick it up and go. buying tomorrow so i can sleep on it.

I was talking to my neighbor about the two saws. His thoughts on the Dolmar:
With the closest dealer to us being 45 miles away, it is a long way for parts or service. Stihl dealers are a dime a dozen around us (not excluding the bad ones), but if I were to need a part or the saw looked at, a 10 minute drive and I can be standing in a Stihl shop. If I were to ever sell the saw (not that I ever would, maybe only to upgrade), Dolmar is not widely known by the general public. I may have a harder time selling the saw locally than I would if it said Stihl. Not trying to open a can of worms here, but Husky and Stihl are way more popular here, especially with no Dolmar dealers around. Just some more snacks for thought...

I guess even though I would entertain myself with the idea of a Dolmar 7900, reality is, I probably would buy the 460 because of the above observations.

I would love to try a 7900, probably would want to own one, but I need to have a local dealer in order to make the leap.

yea getting that feeling also. my take on any thing is its gonna break, some time, some how, some way. if i bought today it would be the stihl just because of the potential to stop by and pick it up and go. buying tomarrow so i can sleep on it.

Deer slayer,
The price that dealer quoted you for a 460 is very, very, very good, at least for around these parts. You can't touch one of those for under 900 new around here.

I was talking to my neighbor about the two saws. His thoughts on the Dolmar:
With the closest dealer to us being 45 miles away, it is a long way for parts or service. Stihl dealers are a dime a dozen around us (not excluding the bad ones), but if I were to need a part or the saw looked at, a 10 minute drive and I can be standing in a Stihl shop. If I were to ever sell the saw (not that I ever would, maybe only to upgrade), Dolmar is not widely known by the general public. I may have a harder time selling the saw locally than I would if it said Stihl. Not trying to open a can of worms here, but Husky and Stihl are way more popular here, especially with no Dolmar dealers around. Just some more snacks for thought...

I guess even though I would entertain myself with the idea of a Dolmar 7900, reality is, I probably would buy the 460 because of the above observations.

I would love to try a 7900, probably would want to own one, but I need to have a local dealer in order to make the leap.
Unless your making a living with your saw and need it everyday all day I don't see the dealer thing as an issue. I bought a Solo with no dealer support. If I need a part I'll just have to wait a few days. No biggy as its not the only saw I own. If you work on your own saws I think the dealer thingy is mute. If you never touch your stuff then yes maybe it has merit. And then again unless you cut over 50 cord a year most likely you won't need service anyhow.

DIY dealer free

Too bad you just don't free yourselves and go dealer free, its liberating. The way I figure it you should be free to choose whatever brand you want. If you are here on AS I'm assuming you can use a computer. If you can do that you can certainly repair and maintain your chain saw of choice. Mail order parts are no more than 1 day away. The guys here at AS will help with questions. Learn to DIY-much more satisfying.:)

now i'm seeing the advantage of this site, good points indeed. for me 8-10 cords a year just to heat my home. but enjoy being outdoors and cutting. far as the price, my first post stated my expeirence there. kinda funny how that works, but i understand its about buisness. said they will still honor it w/out trade. everyone else would not budge from the $850. +/- sticker.

I hear you guys talking about the filter on a 7900. I don't like the design myself so I took matters into my own hands. Problem is: when big wood chips get into the air filter area they tend to clog the filters under side in the filter flutes. I "engineered":) a felt pre-filter sock that goes over the filter-keeps out the big chips that get stuck in the grooves. Works real good on dry seasoned wood. Greasing the filter to carb mating surface also helps keep out fine stuff.

That's cool, but the new black filter cover with its very fine mesh prefilter solves the problem of the main filter getting clogged with chips. $12 or so.

Also, this is true of most all saws and filters: The mesh ones typically don't filter as well as flocked. Thet do let some fine stuff through. Over time this can cause some wear.

The 7900 or the 460 will leave you satisfied, can't go wrong either way.

One kudo to the 7900 though, anti-vibe is superior, and the end of the day, that makes a difference to the invisible parts of your arm, elbow, hand, fingers, blood flow and nerves.

That would be the only reason I"d sell my 460 to get the 7900, since my invisible parts are complaining.

No Ultra, the 460 is not for sale.

Back