Dolmars/ Pro saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think that a single ring would be better lubricated, because it gets lubricated in both directions. In two ring pistons, the top ring gets lubricated on the up stroke, and the bottom on the down stroke. I three ring pistons, the same thing, except the center ring never gets lubricated, except when it passes by the transfers. You guys can let me know if I am totally full of it, or if I do have a point, lol.

I've heard that also....along with a lot friends having trouble, hence my purchase of
the 5105 and 7900. What pushed me over the top was talking to dealerships that
sell and rent both and telling me how dolmar is as good as stihl used to be. Example: I've been using an 024 for almost 25 years, given to me by my dad. In that same time period he has had two stilhs come apart ( literally ) , saws he purchased to replace the 024 he gave me. And "oh by the way" he hardly ever used his saws.

Thats a good way to put it! I believe that when their whole line is considered Dolmar is better than anyone!

Thats a good way to put it! I believe that when their whole line is considered Dolmar is better than anyone!

Hmmmm, as I see it, Dolmars main problem (besides the dealer network) is just the lack of a complete line. A few very good models isn't good enough!

Hmmmm, as I see it, Dolmars main problem (besides the dealer network) is just the lack of a complete line. A few very good models isn't good enough!

Maybe the Dealer network in certain areas (not mine)

But the lack of a complete line? WTF are you talking about?

:deadhorse:

Maybe the Dealer network in certain areas (not mine)

But the lack of a complete line? WTF are you talking about?

:deadhorse:

I would have to agree with Troll. For Pro saws, the 5105, the 7900 and the 9010. Nothing bigger, and the 6400 and 7300 are pointless, as they are weak versions of the 7900. They really need specific versions of saws in the 60cc class, the 80cc class, and the over 90 cc class to have a complete line IMO.

Hey, I like Dolmars, and I have two of them, just telling it like it is.

I would have to agree with Troll. For Pro saws, the 5105, the 7900 and the 9010. Nothing bigger, and the 6400 and 7300 are pointless, as they are weak versions of the 7900. They really need specific versions of saws in the 60cc class, the 80cc class, and the over 90 cc class to have a complete line IMO.

I agree too. Husky and Stihl have every single category covered in pro saws. Dolmar has nothing that I would consider pro under 50cc and nothing above 90cc. I agree on the 6400 and 7300 point too. Both good saws but eclipsed in that category by both Stihl and Husky, maybe not in toughness but in power to weight. The 7900 is not beaten however in it's class.

Saying the 7300 is a tweener is a little odd. It has as good of power as a 372 or 440 did. Husky has had 3 70cc saws for the past few years and stihl has had atleast 2 with the 440/441/460. It is a little bit cheaper too. I've not run a 6400 myself but it fits in the one size fit all firewood saw. It's just a touch heavier than the old 028s that people love for firewood.

With a 20" b/c I didn't really notice a difference in the wood pile. I owned 2 7900s and ran a well broken in 7300 at the dealer. He logged part time and used a 7300 and a 2171 most of the time. He had a 7900 and sold it to me as a demo.

And you DO know what they say about opinions, don't you???

The 3410, 420, 5105, 6400, 7300, 7900 and the 9010 are as good as ANY saw in their class and better than most.

The 350, 460 and 510 suffer the same fate as the 6400 and the 7300.
As I've said MANY times before..."It's hard to live in the shadow of a legend"!!!

Mike

Dolmar not a Pro Saw?

Most all, if not all of their saws have a vertically split magnesium crankcase which is a feature of Pro saws.

Most all, if not all of their saws are made in Germany which is not a bad thing as far as perception of quality goes.

The 7900 blows everything in its class away, and the 5100, 5105 is a go getter as well.

It's not easy to get more power out of a Dolmar, because it's a factory hod rod when it comes out of the box.

It takes more than piston rings to define a Pro saw, and Dolmar is the equal of any Pro saw, and better than some.

I speak from experience on this subject, having owned and run dozens of their saws over the years.

There are now no dealers near me, so I have moved on to other saws.

Yeah ,there are other good Pro saws, but Dolmar is right up there with the best of them.

Unfortunately it's only the 5100-S/5105 and the 7900 in Dolmar's lineup that are giving other manufacturers a touch up in those classes as far as I'm aware and I'd think even the 5100-S/5105 are losing ground. I love Dolmar as much as anyone by the way and own a few.

And you DO know what they say about opinions, don't you???

The 3410, 420, 5105, 6400, 7300, 7900 and the 9010 are as good as ANY saw in their class and better than most.

The 350, 460 and 510 suffer the same fate as the 6400 and the 7300.
As I've said MANY times before..."It's hard to live in the shadow of a legend"!!!

Mike

Well put!!!

It's not easy to get more power out of a Dolmar, because it's a factory hod rod when it comes out of the box.

Well the 6400 is the number one easiest to hot rod saw out there. For $100 you can go from 64cc to 84cc and make your saw the fastest out there for its weight.

I have run a 6400 and it runs like my 7900 with a dull chain.... lol. If I owned a 6400 it would get a BB kit immediately....

Latest posts

Back