Dolmars/ Pro saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar makes HO/LO and Pro Saws like most others. Bet the guy has a Stihl license plate on the front of his truck. :msp_wink: Dolmars are good, I like mine, some of our guys use them. Just not a good dealer support around here. (As compared to Stihl and Husky)

The only non pro saw Dlomar makes is the ps45 like wse8562 said.:rock:

I actually believe the myth that is the reason for this thread was caused by a heavy advertising campaign in the 1990s, made by Stihl. :msp_bored:

Isn't the 510 the LO version of the 5100/5105? At least, that's the what the dealer tells me.

No it's just the cheaper version. Still has a metal vertically split case, but it's aluminum not magnesium, so it weighs a little more, but it's still a pro saw. The Husky 353 is a pro saw, only real difference between it and the 346 is power AKA the top end.

Just thought I'd put my two pennuth worth in!
I was told by an engineer making pistons that the difference between one two or three rings is all down to tolerance and materials if you have one ring piston then you need high tolerances and high quality materials to achieve the same compression as tow or three ring system, and as to reliability no difference.

having said that if you make it with inferior (cheep) materials and only have one ring then your engines gona be out of puff after the first season. or time you use it bit like the cheepy saws you get from B&Q and Walmart.

Just thought I'd put my two pennuth worth in!
I was told by an engineer making pistons that the difference between one two or three rings is all down to tolerance and materials if you have one ring piston then you need high tolerances and high quality materials to achieve the same compression as tow or three ring system, and as to reliability no difference.

having said that if you make it with inferior (cheep) materials and only have one ring then your engines gona be out of puff after the first season. or time you use it bit like the cheepy saws you get from B&Q and Walmart.

Correct! Stihl's cylinders have gone down in quality here and there. The Dolmar cylinders that I've seen are the best of the best.

Last edited:
Correct! Stihl's cylinders have gone down in quality here and there. The Dolmar cylinders that I've seen are the best if the best.

I've heard that also....along with a lot friends having trouble, hence my purchase of
the 5105 and 7900. What pushed me over the top was talking to dealerships that
sell and rent both and telling me how dolmar is as good as stihl used to be. Example: I've been using an 024 for almost 25 years, given to me by my dad. In that same time period he has had two stilhs come apart ( literally ) , saws he purchased to replace the 024 he gave me. And "oh by the way" he hardly ever used his saws.

Completely untrue. I have stock saws that run 14,400 with two rings and ported saws that run over 15,000. Again we are dealing with chainsaws not high output sled engines.

Yea well my saw has nos and a runs at 21,000 rpms with a 54in bar. The neighbors hate when I start it.:D

Is two rings in a two cycle engine better than one? Your gut would say yes, two rings should deal with heat and ware a little better. With that said, I've seen two ring saws fail just like single rings do, no extra longevity with two rings IMHO. You overheat a saw you overheat a saw. You score one ring you score them all.

Wilson Dolmar makes some of the finest saws out there, have a few of them myself, and if you ever want to run one, just let me know. Edit. I see you already have a few Dolmar's what part of town are you in?

Andyshine, you gotta delete some of your private messages so we can talk...it's too full. sorry for the interuption fellas.

No it's just the cheaper version. Still has a metal vertically split case, but it's aluminum not magnesium, so it weighs a little more, but it's still a pro saw. The Husky 353 is a pro saw, only real difference between it and the 346 is power AKA the top end.

I wouldn't regard either the 510 or the 353 as a pro saw because of power to weight, but the 353 surely is a lot closer!

Is two rings in a two cycle engine better than one? Your gut would say yes, two rings should deal with heat and ware a little better. With that said, I've seen two ring saws fail just like single rings do, no extra longevity with two rings IMHO. You overheat a saw you overheat a saw. You score one ring you score them all.

Wilson Dolmar makes some of the finest saws out there, have a few of them myself, and if you ever want to run one, just let me know. Edit. I see you already have a few Dolmar's what part of town are you in?

I've read in the snowmobile forums that the rings help transfer heat from the piston into the cylinder where it is then dissipated. So in theory 2 rings dissipate more heat than the single ring out of the piston.

Well there's a thing! I was told that the new fuel entering the engine helped to cool the internals witch is why they overheat when leaned out, and rings rubbing on cylinders would create more heat than they dissipate ???

Latest posts

Back