Domar 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffro68

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with a Dolmar 5105? How does it stack up with a 350 or a 346xp. Was thinking of getting another 350 and ran across this Dolmar. Dolmar is used but supposedly has only had a couple tanks of gas ran through it and is a few $ less but there's a husky dealer within 10 miles of home if I need parts and closest Dolmer dealer is a two hour drive.

5105 is a real nice saw. They'll run close to a 346 and if you use it only for firewood duty will be the cats azz. I'm a Husqvarna guy and the 350 platform is hard to beat. But if that 5105 was at a cheap price I'd pull the trigger.

I have one of each. The 346 has that lightning throttle response, sings a great song when wound up and I think due to the outboard clutch has a great feel to it. The Dolmar makes some pretty nice music of its own and is much stronger on the bottom end of the rpm band while not feeling quite as agile in your hands. It also does not fall over near as easy.

Both great saws, I would not hesitate to add another of either to my stable for the right coin!

Good saws from what I hear. Before you buy it, pull the muffler and check the piston condition. These have been known to be set up lean from the factory.

Good saws from what I hear. Before you buy it, pull the muffler and check the piston condition. These have been known to be set up lean from the factory.

That was mostly an issue with the previous models, 5100 and 5100S. Of course it never hurts to check.

Forgot to mention the 5105 has a cat muffler, a non cat offers a very nice improvement as well as a cooler running saw.

There is a 5100S for sale in the classifieds. Read all the posts.

I have two 5105s, they are good saws, especially at used prices. More torque than a 346/350 but not as quick if you measure that. The Dolmars seem to make more power running a bit richer than factory settings, least for me. Pulls 3/8ths with authority on an 18" bar. The 5100 non-cat muffler I put on both of mine to get rid of the weight and heat. The 5100 in the Classifieds however does have a cat muffler. I'd change that.

I'm not sure what year it is buy i was told it's had less than two tanks ran through it and looks good enough to believe him. What's a saw like this worth? He's wanting three bills for it.

I'm not sure what year it is buy i was told it's had less than two tanks ran through it and looks good enough to believe him. What's a saw like this worth? He's wanting three bills for it.

3 bills is a bargain if it is as you say...

Three bills! I'm comming! Might take a while though. :D

That's a great price!

Went back this morning with the cash and told him id take it but wanted to pull the muffler off first. Thanks morgaj1 for telling me to pull the muffler you saved me a pile of money. The piston was in pretty bad shape, if there was only 2 tanks ran through it one of them must of been straight gas. Told him id pass on it. Thanks again morgaj1 and everybody else too. I know now why he was selling it for that price he new it was bad.

That was mostly an issue with the previous models, 5100 and 5100S. Of course it never hurts to check.

Forgot to mention the 5105 has a cat muffler, a non cat offers a very nice improvement as well as a cooler running saw.

Not all 5105s were like that....

Back