Don’t let ANYONE borrow your equipment…

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand your frustration, but you guys need better friends. I've got one friend I'm happy to loan stuff to. Everything I have ever loaned him comes back better than when he borrowed it. An apropos example: A few years ago he borrowed a vintage Homelite saw: When I got it back he'd rebuilt the carb... correctly. He said it was a little hard to start, so he fixed it.
Now that's a friend!
Amen brother! You just described exactly how I would do it if I borrowed anything! Leave no reason whatsoever for the person who you borrowed it from to sniveling! It just seems to me that if ever you need to ask for something again you have a very high probability he or she is going to not think twice about loaning it to you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe doing just the opposite of that is called burning a bridge? 😉

Amen brother! You just described exactly how I would do it if I borrowed anything! Leave no reason whatsoever for the person who you borrowed it from to sniveling! It just seems to me that if ever you need to ask for something again you have a very high probability he or she is going to not think twice about loaning it to you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe doing just the opposite of that is called burning a bridge? 😉
A couple of days ago I was over to his house, first thing I did was ask if there was anything he needed to borrow. :D

I will never loan out one of my chainsaws or my tractor.
I just had a neighbor who tore up his entire yad with a backhoe. Nothing but dirt and weeds left now. First he wanted to borrow my 87 TroyBilt Horse Tiller with Cast iron cylinders, I said no, it has been prepped for long term storage with the cylinders fogged and I had restore it. Then he wanted to borrow my 91 Craftsman GT6000 tractor 20hp Onan opposed cylinder engine with hydraulics and he would cut my yard. I told him I had just hired someone to do my yard, edging and all. That was also recently restored and has new blades on it too. He tore up his $15K Walker mower tearing up his yard. He has also broken the BRAND NEW Kubota backhoe he just bought to redo his yard. There is not a chance in H*** I would lend him a garden rake. He cut the roots on two trees with the backhow, now they are dieing. He's a drunk and put diesel left over in a gas can in his mower once and I have fixed it three times. He starts drinking at 7 am, or as soon as he wakes up. Only calls me when he needs something.

I just had a neighbor who tore up his entire yad with a backhoe. Nothing but dirt and weeds left now. First he wanted to borrow my 87 TroyBilt Horse Tiller with Cast iron cylinders, I said no, it has been prepped for long term storage with the cylinders fogged and I had restore it. Then he wanted to borrow my 91 Craftsman GT6000 tractor 20hp Onan opposed cylinder engine with hydraulics and he would cut my yard. I told him I had just hired someone to do my yard, edging and all. That was also recently restored and has new blades on it too. He tore up his $15K Walker mower tearing up his yard. He has also broken the BRAND NEW Kubota backhoe he just bought to redo his yard. There is not a chance in H*** I would lend him a garden rake. He cut the roots on two trees with the backhow, now they are dieing. He's a drunk and put diesel left over in a gas can in his mower once and I have fixed it three times. He starts drinking at 7 am, or as soon as he wakes up. Only calls me when he needs something.
Need more details... how do you break a Kubota backhoe? Mine is about 40 years old, and has had minimal repairs.

Need more details... how do you break a Kubota backhoe? Mine is about 40 years old, and has had minimal repairs.

Seriously? There are people who can tear up a crowbar in a sand pile. There are people who could break a cannon ball in a room of pillows. Messing up anything with an engine and moving parts is easy.

Seriously? There are people who can tear up a crowbar in a sand pile. There are people who could break a cannon ball in a room of pillows. Messing up anything with an engine and moving parts is easy.
Yep... the saying is "run it like a rental..."

Bologna of the highest order. Hope they make right with you on it. Can't imagine running used drain oil as two stroke mix, that's one I haven't heard of. In a case of legitimate emergency and that's all I had on hand, I'd give it a shot.

These are the loaner saws I keep on hand:

https://www.homedepot.com/c/lawn_and_garden_equipment_rental#chainsaws
https://www.amazon.com/COOCHEER-Chainsaw-2-Stroke-Carrying-Orange-red/dp/B0CC95GHST
Remember, when you tell someone you don't loan out your saws, them getting pissy about it is confirming that you made the right choice. Anyone truly competent to run a saw will have their own saw, or at least understand and accept why you don't loan yours out.
You aren't far enough out in redneck world then. ;)
There's a reason I don't loan my saws either - I don't use them for work, but I only have wood heat, so can't afford a seized up saw.

That's why you never buy a used rental car, They drive them like they stole 'em.

Latest posts

Back