Don't be mad at me, I'm just curios about the dogs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm with you on the the dog thing,although they do have their place.( if you know how to use them PROPERLY.....which most wanna be wood cutters don't !!! ) lot's of good responses here in this tread. i've sold over 2,300 brand new HVA chainsaws over the past 32 years, and it's interesting to hear the people lookin' at my saws on display ask " where's the teeth on these saws"......and i say "real wood cutters don't need teeth around here"!
262XPH006.jpg
[/URL]
[/QUOTE]

What is this saw used for with the strange handle bar?

Beefie

I would also be interested to know what the saw with the handlebar is used for? My first guess was small scrub to save bending, but why would you need dogs for that?

i'm with you on the the dog thing,although they do have their place.( if you know how to use them PROPERLY.....which most wanna be wood cutters don't !!! ) lot's of good responses here in this tread. i've sold over 2,300 brand new HVA chainsaws over the past 32 years, and it's interesting to hear the people lookin' at my saws on display ask " where's the teeth on these saws"......and i say "real wood cutters don't need teeth around here"!!!!!

There ya go. Don't listen to the professional who makes his living with a saw. Just listen to the office jockey who knows what "real wood cutters" need. It's safer behind the counter than out in the woods.

This may sound stupid, but don't the dawgs also keep you from accidentally banging the muffler against the log?

There ya go. Don't listen to the professional who makes his living with a saw. Just listen to the office jockey who knows what "real wood cutters" need. It's safer behind the counter than out in the woods.

He is writing from the northeastern coast. Here, in NH, we do not have the timber nearly what the west coast has. Our average DBH is significantly less than what you see. A 24" bar will drop 99.9% of the trees on our landscape. A 24" bar won't pass through the entire diameter on some trees. Simply takes a second cut. Our bark is also much thinner.

I have worked with sawyers who take the dawgs off there saws here in the northeast. With a sharp chain, they don't need the dogs on the short bars we use (18-24"). We also cut the scarf on the tree, not the stump. We do not need dawgs when cutting scarfs from the top down.

Dogs, spikes can be miss used. People compensate for a dull chain and use them to apply more pressure to the cut thus burning the chain and bar up. I have a friend (shop owner) who removes them from the saws before selling them because of miss use.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of using a saw without them. I just got a 32" bar for my PM800. I put spikes on so they can act as a fulcrum. A whole lot less effort is required to pull back on the rear handle than trying to push the tip of longer bars.

Dogs, spikes can be miss used. People compensate for a dull chain and use them to apply more pressure to the cut thus burning the chain and bar up. I have a friend (shop owner) who removes them from the saws before selling them because of miss use.

I do not get that logic. You have a tool that is apart of the saw and I know you believe this because you use them, and your friend takes them off because of mis-use. Does he take the chains off too because they might not get sharpened correctly or remove the chain brake because someone might try to rev the engine with it on? The dawgs are a tool people just need to use them correctly that's all.

You all are missing the best reason

They bring in big dollars on Ebay. LOL :laugh:

I put larger dogs on my 570 just to cut this Cottonwood up. It helped in my opinion.

3-2.jpg

Last edited:
I do not get that logic. You have a tool that is apart of the saw and I know you believe this because you use them, and your friend takes them off because of mis-use. Does he take the chains off too because they might not get sharpened correctly or remove the chain brake because someone might try to rev the engine with it on? The dawgs are a tool people just need to use them correctly that's all.

Yep...I don't get it either! I don't talk to him about it......and we get along! LoL!

I like having dogs on my saws. If the dealer removed them because he thought they might be miss used I wouldn't buy a saw from him. I don't use them to compensate for a dull chain either. When the chain is dull it gets touched up or that saw goes back into the tractor and I grab another one and continue cutting.

If I went to a dealer and he took the spikes off without asking I would probably walk out. A saw without spikes is going to make you work harder than needed.

Is that a 562 with full wrap and a 28" bar in that first picture?

i'm with you on the the dog thing,although they do have their place.( if you know how to use them PROPERLY.....which most wanna be wood cutters don't !!! ) lot's of good responses here in this tread. i've sold over 2,300 brand new HVA chainsaws over the past 32 years, and it's interesting to hear the people lookin' at my saws on display ask " where's the teeth on these saws"......and i say "real wood cutters don't need teeth around here"!!!!!

Damn, that thing has a more funky-assed full wrap than a Dolmar.

A full wrap and no dogs? Somebody likes to do a lot of work.

It looks funny but it's still probably better than a pro safety full wrap. I much prefer the 3/4 stihl style. I wish the 372 had a 3/4 wrap like that. How would you put in a humbolt undercut without dawgs?

It looks funny but it's still probably better than a pro safety full wrap. I much prefer the 3/4 stihl style. I wish the 372 had a 3/4 wrap like that. How would you put in a humbolt undercut without dawgs?

Hardly anyone humbolt cuts in the New England States. I think you would need to be one B@d @ss to pull off that cut with out dawgs.

You backbar and do more work :D

Back