Don't be mad at me, I'm just curios about the dogs.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You backbar and do more work :D

I back barred an under cut with the 576 with the 4 point pro safety and it was still work. I was on a little point and standing in the creek the tree was over shoulder high. It's much easier to make nice comfortable felling cuts with a full wrap and nice useable dawgs.

They make smooth bumpers to be put in place of dawgs. If you look at the pictures in this thread, you will see the bumpers.I have seen these bumpers used in the chainsaw racing circuit.

You backbar and do more work :D

A lot of folks in Europe, if not nearly all, like to use the back bar even for stumping. I hated it. I feel you have less control, have more risk of a powerful saw shooting out towards you instead of pulling you(ask me how I know), do more work, and are fighting the saw often to keep it in the cut. You also basically can't use the dogs as efficiently. In bucking, you often must use it, but I try to avoid it as much as possible otherwise.

As far as dogs go, you can either use them to make work easier, or ya don't. I'd rather let the chainsaw do the work while I supervise. When used right the dogs on a saw will allow you to use a heavier, more powerful saw, without much more work when it comes to cutting trees down.

This sort of reminds me of the wrap handle threads. If you're on the side of a mountain in Oregon and need to finish a humbolt on the weak side of a Fir, you are gonna pay for it if you do not have full wraps or dogs. Same with thinning in tight areas. It can be done without wraps, but why punish yourself when you don't have to? It may weigh 5 ounces more, but if it allows me to jam the dogs into the bark and pivot on them while I hold the saw comfortably at the wrap in a natural position, the saw is doing all the work for me.

Crap, no Dawgs on a saw is silly, and makes the operator work a hell of a lot more. I even use the Dawgs on the little 200T to line up the kerf on bigger stuff while nibbling around.

Big Dawgs come in darn handy on Cottonwood, shagbark, big old Sassafrass, and even on some of the half rotten cherry that is still solid 1-2" in.

There have been plenty of times where using the spikes with a good sharp chain to get through the back cut quickly, has kept a hard leaning Red oak or Sass from chairing on me.

I suppose from all the vids I have seen from Europe, Dawgs would get in the way of making the required 37 different flare cuts, and 17 different face cuts, before the final 9 seperate back cuts to drop those huge 14" popples...so to each thier own I guess.

What's going on in New England has got to be something else though. It ain't like things have moving parts and are hard to figure out.:dizzy:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

A lot of folks in Europe, if not nearly all, like to use the back bar even for stumping. I hated it. I feel you have less control, have more risk of a powerful saw shooting out towards you instead of pulling you(ask me how I know), do more work, and are fighting the saw often to keep it in the cut. You also basically can't use the dogs as efficiently. In bucking, you often must use it, but I try to avoid it as much as possible otherwise.

Guess we've just got better control over our saws here in Europe :D (only joking matey!)

The saw in question is a saw that is produced AND only available in russia.
i purchased this saw brand new & it's never been run, as a conversation starter. :hmm3grin2orange:
it's in the felling position.the blue cover is a thermostat for operation in deep snow.the handles are for deep snow too
the idea is to keep the operator's head up in the clean air while sawing down a tree in a hole shoveled out around the tree
talk about different technique's for chainsawing and attachments :biggrin:

it's now in the bucking position. I could not amgine trying to operate this saw WITHOUT the supplied dog.
my only question is....."how handy are them handle's for limbing ?"..... :dunno:

RANDY,thanks for steppin' in and settin' them straight.....thought for a second you was gonna let my post slide bye...:cheers:

Gosh A100HVA, you are one of the 2%. The other site seems to be down or I might lifted one of your Doug Fir photos.
How is that young man of your's doing?

Dogs and spikes of different uses, an easy change to fit conditions.
I put CP125 spikes on my Super 250 to get a solid grip on second growth Redwoods, their bark is thick, but soft and fibery. I set the spikes like Ahab would have, to get through to the sapwood.

Ad40FUEL.jpg

Gosh A100HVA, you are one of the 2%. The other site seems to be down or I might lifted one of your Doug Fir photos.
How is that young man of your's doing?

Dogs and spikes of different uses, an easy change to fit conditions.
I put CP125 spikes on my Super 250 to get a solid grip on second growth Redwoods, their bark is thick, but soft and fibery. I set the spikes like Ahab would have, to get through to the sapwood.

Ad40FUEL.jpg

well he's gotten a little taller since you've seen him last.
he aint got any experience cutting them down (yet) i'm starting him off with cuttin' em up first.
i could not imagine cuttin' in your area without dogs.....is it possible there without them???

right after this pic was taken,i posted it on "the other site" and they quickly got after me for havin' him use such a short bar!!!
i then quickly upgraded him to a 24" with skip chain... :chainsawguy:

"we" should teach him to cut down out in your area first,while he's still fresh and eager to learn...don't ya think?
sure would be fun!
william

The saw in question is a saw that is produced AND only available in russia.
i purchased this saw brand new & it's never been run, as a conversation starter. :hmm3grin2orange:
it's in the felling position.the blue cover is a thermostat for operation in deep snow.the handles are for deep snow too
the idea is to keep the operator's head up in the clean air while sawing down a tree in a hole shoveled out around the tree
talk about different technique's for chainsawing and attachments :biggrin:

it's now in the bucking position. I could not amgine trying to operate this saw WITHOUT the supplied dog.
my only question is....."how handy are them handle's for limbing ?"..... :dunno:

RANDY,thanks for steppin' in and settin' them straight.....thought for a second you was gonna let my post slide bye...:cheers:

Am I reading that the saw is made in Russia? Or is it just produced for the Russians?

Maybe they just can't figure them out. Here, I've made a silly little vid for them:

[video=youtube;WZCWTim9F1I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZCWTim9F1I[/video]

Now ya done it. All those Euros are gonna be scratching thier heads in cornfusion. Just too many moving parts, and you didn't make 34 cuts on the root flare before planting the Dawgs. You also weren't wearing a Multi colored full body kevlar Condom and a space helmet...you could have gotten a splinter in your Tea Pinky, and so are clearly not an ekspurt.:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I like dawgs on my saws. I made a custom dawg for my Ryobi out of an after market 266 dawg.

attachment.php

i'm with you on the the dog thing,although they do have their place.( if you know how to use them PROPERLY.....which most wanna be wood cutters don't !!! ) lot's of good responses here in this tread. i've sold over 2,300 brand new HVA chainsaws over the past 32 years, and it's interesting to hear the people lookin' at my saws on display ask " where's the teeth on these saws"......and i say "real wood cutters don't need teeth around here"!!!!! .......

You got it right, at least regarding <20" trees, on anything but a steep hill! :msp_thumbsup:

I use the dawgs on my saws all the time. Everybody wants to tell me I don't need them. Most of these fellows saying that don't even know what theyre really used for.

If I was cutting switchpoles all day then I could probably do without them.

A guy on the east coast like me must be breaking the law for using my dawgs. Or my chain must be rocked and dull.

Well i like the control i get when using dawgs, it also seems that it would be easier on the saw by not beating the muffler and oil tank to death ,of course thats just my opinion. On a lighter note big dogs look freakin cool if i can't cut it i'll just stab it :rock: Termite

Latest posts

Back