Don't Buy Junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
According to my Mom, my sister’s first words in life were, “I do it myself.”
Mine were, “Don’t buy junk.”
I think these represent two opposite ends of the same spectrum. There are times where you would draw from one or the other end of the spectrum to accomplish something. Some think you can do it all yourself, and others think you can buy anything you need. I think you fall somewhere in between.
WCTV has developed an algorithm through which you can find out where you are on this spectrum.
We have devised a scale from 0-200 with a score of 0 being a totally independent individual who believes they can make or produce all they need. A score of 200 is someone who relies on engineers and who mostly buys the tools and supplies they need.
The analysis involves input from participants in two parts:
1. An estimate or an appraisal, if you will, of each participant of where you think you are.
For instance I would say I’m a 170.
2. Answers to twenty topics -- how you feel about them from 1 to 10. The sum of these scores is the true score based on the algorithm. I’ve already taken the second part. I’ll post my score along with the rest. All I ask is true and unbiased input and just give it a chance.
So, if you’d like to participate, make a reply on this thread and score yourself from 0-200. Any one from the newest member right through the site administration is eligible and encouraged to participate. I’ll let it brew as I’m getting caught up on work. I need at least ten replies from AS members who will like to try this. More will be better, so if you know someone else, contact them. I’ll post the second part when the initial replies are in. I promise we’ll have some fun and a follow-up discussion which will get quite interesting.

Woodcutter TV = 170

I'm perceiving an issue here. I in fact if allowed could cull all of my meats to eat but the seasons do not run all year on most species. I could turn my entire yard into a garden and can all of my veggies.

Would trapping furbearers and the subsequent $$$ offset my need to buy clothes? I mean I could chew up the pelt to make them soft and supple for say a loin cloth or a buckskin shirt...but I have to say these clothing items really are not in style ,hence I'm forced to buy off of the rack...so should there be a penalty for these and can it be offset?

How about burning wood ,but I buy it instead of doing the logging,bucking and splitting...which I know how and have the means to do? Is there a credit for not using manufactured fuels like propane or fuel oil?

...after much thought...like 5 minutes I'll say 100.

Last edited:
I'm perceiving an issue here. I in fact if allowed could cull all of my meats to eat but the seasons do not run all year on most species. I could turn my entire yard into a garden and can all of my veggies.

Would trapping furbearers and the subsequent $$$ offset my need to buy clothes? I mean I could chew up the pelt to make them soft and supple for say a loin cloth or a buckskin shirt...but I have to say these clothing items really are not in style ,hence I'm forced to buy off of the rack...so should there be a penalty for these and can it be offset?

How about burning wood ,but I buy it instead of doing the logging,bucking and splitting...which I know how and have the means to do? Is there a credit for not using manufactured fuels like propane or fuel oil?

...after much thought...like 5 minutes I'll say 100.

If you can trap fur, you don't need to buy clothes. Thanks Keith. That's what I'm looking for. Big dogs. Ramping it up. I'm in. Who else?

If you mean totally self sufficient in terms of roof, food, clothes, etc. i'd say im around 190.

If you mean stubborn and I can do that Project without the help of professionals i'd be about a 5.

When it comes to wood i'd say about 94. Need a few things others have made for me but the nuts and bolts are a one man or 2 show. :rock:

If you mean totally self sufficient in terms of roof, food, clothes, etc. i'd say im around 190.

If you mean stubborn and I can do that Project without the help of professionals i'd be about a 5.

When it comes to wood i'd say about 94. Need a few things others have made for me but the nuts and bolts are a one man or 2 show. :rock:

190+5+94=289/3 = 96 for Cra z.

Cra z = 96.

Last edited:
No self respecting man (or woman) who owns a welder should be over 100.

I'm going 60. I'd probably be a lazy bum 180 or so if I had money to burn.

If I make it myself, I do not need to worry about buying junk.

200. We all depend on engineered products to survive now. Unless everyone made their own computer from the ground up and then generated the power to run said computer in order to respond to this we are all 200. We relied on our internet provider to connect us to the net. etc etc you get the point.

Even if we think we are self reliant we are not. I make stuff all the time with my tools. I sometimes make the tools I need to fix something. However I didn't smelt the ore that made the metal. etc etc. I didn't make the saw that I use to cut the wood etc etc.

200 for me.

200. We all depend on engineered products to survive now. Unless everyone made their own computer from the ground up and then generated the power to run said computer in order to respond to this we are all 200. We relied on our internet provider to connect us to the net. etc etc you get the point.

Even if we think we are self reliant we are not. I make stuff all the time with my tools. I sometimes make the tools I need to fix something. However I didn't smelt the ore that made the metal. etc etc. I didn't make the saw that I use to cut the wood etc etc.

200 for me.

It's true, in the words of Milton Friedman "no man is an island." The topic at hand might better be measured in the relative degree of specialization of one's labor/skill (job/career and time at home included) by the amount of proudctive time over a given period.

Not even sure why I bothered to look at this thread. Another useless thread - get a life buddy.

Not wanting to sound (too much) like an AS thread snob, but does this topic belong on the Firewood forum?

200 for me.

No way you could be 200 unless you make a ton of cash and do not lift a finger for anything.
If youfeed yourself and water yourself and deficate by yourself you are at least a 190.:blob2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back