Don't Buy Junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah! How 'bout now???????????

?????????????????????????????

:rock:

:yoyo:

:jester:

:msp_scared:

:alien2:

:waaaht:

:baffle:

:go:

120. I'd rather do it myself, but some things are better when they're done/made by someone who actually knows what they're doing. i love running saws, welders, motorcycles, boats, aircraft and cattle... Beyond that I'm lost...

Do I need to post it tonight?

Nope, not for me... I'll be snorin' in less than an hour. The way I figure it, you had a couple days in "cold storage" to put it together. I can wait... heck I don't care if'n I ever see the questions and AlGorizm, this thread has been entertaining enough as it stands. Always fun to see where people rate themselves.

I'll toss a log on the fire,

IS the OP is implying to not buy American made products? Are they all junk now?

Regardless theis thread is a waste of space on this forum, almost to the verge of negative rep, this does not belong in this forum.

My buck 93!

So why not pony up some neg rep? - I know i did as soon as this idiot started contaminating this forum with useless crap.

So why not pony up some neg rep? - I know i did as soon as this idiot started contaminating this forum with useless crap.

Because its the Canadian thing to and provide the poster with the benefit of the doubt!

Besides its the f'n internet, I live my own life, this forum is not my life!

As hard as we try or want to believe, man can not be a totally independent individual who believes they can make or produce all they need.

When the power goes out, we can melt the snow for water but, our clothes, the pail and the stove were made by someone else. The boots, gloves and cap were made by someone else. The shovel or the board to scoop up the snow was made by someone. The seeds for our gardens, the hose to carry water, the tools, everything was made by someone else. If your house starts on fire or your child gets hurt, then what? I can cut my own wood and heat my house but the tools that I use were made by someone else. Even my understanding in the use of the tools were once taught to me. Those are just simple examples…

I’m very independent, I remodel my home but all the lumber, nails, tools and even the clothes that I have on were made by someone. Even if I harvest my own meat, I need to keep it cold so the paper that I wrap it in and the freezer were made by someone not to mention the elect to run it.

Man will always be and has been dependent on others. I might think I’m independent but the one very important thing we all forget is our education / knowledge, if not for someone else in the past/future, we would not be capable to do the things we do.

I would put myself around 100 but in reality I would be closer to 175 because I could do the things I’ve learned in the past or my ability to figure things out. Thus, we go back to education.

“A score of 200 is someone who relies on engineers and who mostly buys the tools and supplies they need”

We all relay on some form on engineering be it the past of the future. The first cave man to start a fire was an engineer/ a teacher who taught others how to make fire.

An engineer is a professional practitioner of engineering, concerned with applying scientific knowledge, mathematics and ingenuity to develop solutions for technical problems. Engineers design materials, structures, machines and systems while considering the limitations imposed by practicality, safety and cost.

“WCTV has developed an algorithm through which you can find out where you are on this spectrum.” For you to develop an algorithm, you have to use the tools/ knowledge and understanding of others.. then you have to put your thoughts to paper. These are all tools. Your questions have an open end and can be turned around to fit your needs.

Man will always be and has been dependent on others. Just like you are with our answers to your topic...

I've got 'em. Do I need to post it tonight?

You should have posted them at the start...the more we go around and around with the multitudes of your posts the more I'm ready to just sit back and watch the dog & pony show.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

WOW! Some of y’all are really over-thinking this.

OK, so I grab some scrap steel and build a log jack. Yep, somebody else made the steel, but now it’s just scrap, just lying around like stones on the ground… that’s the age we live in. Even if the world as we know it ended, and no more steel was ever manufactured, it’s would still lying around in scrap piles and junk machinery for decades to come.

So I use my stick welder to glue the scrap pieces of steel into the item I want. Yep, someone else made the welder, but I didn’t buy it, it didn’t work when I got it, it was headed for the scrap yard. I took it apart and fixed it, and I didn’t need to buy anything to fix it, I used parts from other “scrap” stuff. So how deep is my reliance?

Yep, I buy the welding rod… but I know how to make “serviceable” welding rod if I really had to.

Yep, I’m using grid electricity to power the welder… but if the grid went down I have a generator. And yes, I bought the generator, but if need be, I know how to build one using “scrap” stuff in the junk yards. That’s the age we live in; the scrap will be there for decades.

Using the thinking of some of y’all… when the first human lashed a rock to a stick and made a club, he could score a zero… but every human after that scores a 200 because everything that happened after wouldn’t have been possible without that first club. Totally ridiculous thinking.

Y’all need to put it in simpler context… Do ya’ pay someone else, or do ya’ do it yourself?

I’m stayin’ with my 75 number.

OK, so I grab some scrap steel and build a log jack. Yep, somebody else made the steel, but now it’s just scrap, just lying around like stones on the ground… that’s the age we live in. Even if the world as we know it ended, and no more steel was ever manufactured, it’s would still lying around in scrap piles and junk machinery for decades to come.

So I use my stick welder to glue the scrap pieces of steel into the item I want. Yep, someone else made the welder, but I didn’t buy it, it didn’t work when I got it, it was headed for the scrap yard. I took it apart and fixed it, and I didn’t need to buy anything to fix it, I used parts from other “scrap” stuff. So how deep is my reliance?

Yep, I buy the welding rod… but I know how to make “serviceable” welding rod if I really had to.

Yep, I’m using grid electricity to power the welder… but if the grid went down I have a generator. And yes, I bought the generator, but if need be, I know how to build one using “scrap” stuff in the junk yards. That’s the age we live in; the scrap will be there for decades.

Then you've been dependent on the humans that produced that scrap. Just because no one else wants it does not mean you are less dependent on those who produced the "scrap."

Using the thinking of some of y’all… when the first human lashed a rock to a stick and made a club, he could score a zero… but every human after that scores a 200 because everything that happened after wouldn’t have been possible without that first club. Totally ridiculous thinking.

Y’all need to put it in simpler context… Do ya’ pay someone else, or do ya’ do it yourself?

The problem is not with different people's differing interpretation of the criteria given. The problem is that there was room for interpretation in the criteria in the first place. We've been told this is a sliding scale from 0 to 200 but everyone has been using different guesses on why based on the "clues" WCTV has given about this nebulous, half defined concept based around self reliance. A badly posed question yields bad information. Garbage in, garbage out.

Last edited:
I am with ya on your thinking WS. I am realistically in the 75 range with you. However the guidelines were not very well drawn out so I went with the extreme interpretation. Unless given strict guidlines I tend to do my own thing until brought back into the fold.

I don't see it as rediculous given the type of thread that this is. We should be talking about burning another log or cutting a monster tree... The whole thread could be construed as rediculous.

Anyway, In comparison to the general public I think most AS folks would all fall under 100. We are all pretty self reliant. We throw another log on the fire instead of turning the dial clockwise.

I fix my stuff when it brakes. I bring back the dead and junk to running condition just like you WS. I resurected a Stihl 036 that should have been stripped down and sold as parts this winter. I make my own furniture, grow my veggies, make stuff work how I want it to etc etc.

I don't know why, but I'll bite....Not the handiest guy in the world but I can hunt/fish and butcher. I also brew my own beer so thats gotta cut that 200 in half easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back