Don't want to overload my trailer......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wife'nHubby

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't want to overload my little 4'x6' trailer........

If I've got six rounds of hickory, 24" diameter x 18" long, green wood, how much weight is that?

Shari

? 1708 pounds green.... this is a guess!! or each piece around 285 pounds.....

I can pick up a piece of bur oak that big with another guy. they can't wieght 250+ pounds can they!!! i mean, it isnt THAT heavy, i can pick them up by myself if i REALLY have to.

Just thought I'd add: I seem to have fallen into a fairly steady supply of this shagbark hickory so I should get some idea of the weight I'm hauling.

I think I am pushing the limits on my trailer even hauling only 6 rounds per trip. I keep an eye on how my tires and fenders look as I am loading.

Smaller rounds are loaded front & rear; larger rounds are loaded over the axle. "Squat" is not a look I want. :)

I 'think' I have a 1200# axle limit on the trailer. Tow vehicle is a Olds Bravada, SUV.

Shari

you guys might be right. I can put 4 rows of them in my pickup and put 5 in a "decent" stack per row. I just know i can load my entire pickup by myself without dying it just takes a little bit. That'd be 20 rounds though.. weighing almost 300 pounds each.... god that makes me feel a lot older now :)

lol just going by the log weight calculator, so there are variables to be unsure??dry is another weight ratio!!

So... my load works out equivalent to one 9' log, 24" diameter. Whats the weight, green, of this shagbark hickory log?

Do we have to figure out what portion of a cord this works out to be first?

Have at it, gurus! :)

Shari

So... my load works out equivalent to one 9' log, 24" diameter. Whats the weight, green, of this shagbark hickory log?

Shari

or.... i can just figure out why my back hurts after i load my pickup by myself :)

I can pick up a piece of bur oak that big with another guy. they can't wieght 250+ pounds can they!!! i mean, it isnt THAT heavy, i can pick them up by myself if i REALLY have to.

:laugh::laugh: They get heavier as the day wears on.... :laugh::laugh:

Last year I loaded & unloaded 7 trailers worth in one day. I felt about 90 yrs. old at the end of that day. :) I do admit I was using a dolly and my trailer sits low but still... it was a workout.

Shari

Shari

not enough differance in a log to 6 rounds ! except if you want to weigh the amount of saw dust you just threw out the back end of your saw?? but then again you would have to calcuate the bar oil that stuck to the chips and dust as well ?? lol

Shari

===

24 Cubic ft or 1/5th of a cord...approx...

I just realized there's a sticky up top that does list green wood weights (I thought that chart listed seasoned wood weights). http://www.sherrilltree.com/site/pdf...eightChart.pdf

Shagbark hickory, 18" dia. 1 foot long = 113 lbs.

So..

113 x 1.5' = 169.5 lbs./each

x 6 pieces = 1,017 lbs.

Yup....... I'm pushing my trailer's 1200 load limit.

EDIT: My math is corrected in post #20 - they are 24" diameter, not 18" (1.5').

Shari

Last edited:
I'm going with 28.26 cubic feet... :)

AND MINE IS 28.27...... LOL:laugh::laugh:

Both of you are 'Right On' because split/stacked I figured I came up with around 1.5 cords.

Now, if I could have hauled all that hickory in 2 or 3 loads I would have been a lot happier! All it takes is $$ for a larger trailer...

Shari

I just realized there's a sticky up top that does list green wood weights (I thought that chart listed seasoned wood weights). http://www.sherrilltree.com/site/pdf...eightChart.pdf

Shagbark hickory, 18" dia. 1 foot long = 113 lbs.

So..

113 x 1.5' = 169.5 lbs./each

x 6 pieces = 1,017 lbs.

Yup....... I'm pushing my trailer's 1200 load limit.

Shari

Originally you said logs were 24"dia not 18". If they are 24" dia then log chart says 201lbs per one foot length. So each piece would be about 300lbs.

Your Bravada is more than enough vehicle to pull the load...I think we need pics of your trailer...Most trailer that size have 2000 lb axles under them, but I have seen a few lite weights that only have 1000 lb axles...Where did you buy it or who is the manufacture?...

Here is a picture of my Jeep Wrangler with a 6½ x 10 trailer with probably 3000 pounds of elm on it...

92269d1236560467-dsc00490-jpg

Originally you said logs were 24"dia not 18". If they are 24" dia then log chart says 201lbs per one foot length. So each piece would be about 300lbs.

Yup - I read the chart wrong. They are 24" dia. so each one is around 300 lbs.

300 lbs. x 6 = 1,800 lbs.

Ouch! I am slightly overloaded!

Shari

Back