Don't want to overload my trailer......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your Bravada is more than enough vehicle to pull the load...I think we need pics of your trailer...Most trailer that size have 2000 lb axles under them, but I have seen a few lite weights that only have 1000 lb axles...Where did you buy it or who is the manufacture?...

Here's a picture:

hickory_pallets.jpg

It's an old military trailer - still has the tags on it from the late 1940's. It has a diamond plate deck on it and just went through a 'rehab' of the deck, cross supports and tailgate hinge. Tires are 4-lug (which is a drawback I know now) - can't remember for sure but I think they are either 13 or 14" tires.

If we had the $$ I'd pop for a 5'x8' with a 3500# axel and A-frame tongue.

Shari

Last edited:
Shari if that trailer is in good condition it will easily handle your load of rounds...Just use a little common sense and if you feel at any point, loading or hauling, something is not right stop...

Most I would guess that even being a 4 bolt wheel that trailer axle is rated at 2000lbs, but could be mistaken...Do the tags give an actual rating?...

Most things built 40 years ago were built to last and get the job done....I would be willing to bet that, that little trailer has had more weight on it than you would ever even consider putting on it at one time...LOL

Here's a picture:

hickory_pallets.jpg

It's an old military trailer - still has the tags on it from the late 1940's. It has a diamond plate deck on it and just went through a 'rehab' of the deck, cross supports and tailgate hinge. Tires are 4-lug (which is a drawback I know now) - can't remember for sure but I think they are either 13 or 14" tires.

If we had the $$ I'd pop for a 5'x8' with a 3500# axel and A-frame tongue.

Shari

Shari,

That trailer was designed to be loaded to the top with ammo(Heavier than any wood), and hauled over lousy terrain at stupid speeds, by a scared to death 20yr old that was bieng shot at.

Assuming the civvie tires are up to it,
You cannot overload that trailer.
Many of us have tried several times, and it's just not possible. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Shari,

That trailer was designed to be loaded to the top with ammo(Heavier than any wood), and hauled over lousy terrain at stupid speeds, by a scared to death 20yr old that was bieng shot at.

Assuming the civvie tires are up to it,
You cannot overload that trailer.
Many of us have tried several times, and it's just not possible. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

As usual, what Dinger said!

Check the load rating of the tires, add 10% for tongue weight, and that's your trailer GVWR, more or less. Any load capacity tags left over from it's service days will likely be rated for off-road, double that for highway service.

I just realized there's a sticky up top that does list green wood weights (I thought that chart listed seasoned wood weights). http://www.sherrilltree.com/site/pdf...eightChart.pdf

Shagbark hickory, 18" dia. 1 foot long = 113 lbs.

So..

113 x 1.5' = 169.5 lbs./each

x 6 pieces = 1,017 lbs.

Yup....... I'm pushing my trailer's 1200 load limit.

EDIT: My math is corrected in post #20 - they are 24" diameter, not 18" (1.5').

Shari

You must be right at the max for your trailer. Must not be much of a bounce left on your springs. Best to keep the rear of the trailer a little light and more on the front so you don't fishtail as you go down the road.

7 loads in one day is a lot of work. I'd be feeling like I was 90 also.

So... my load works out equivalent to one 9' log, 24" diameter. Whats the weight, green, of this shagbark hickory log?

Do we have to figure out what portion of a cord this works out to be first?

Have at it, gurus! :)

Shari

Well, for a rough approximation to test the earlier number, that's 211 gallons of wood, about 8# each, or about 1700# if the wood weighed as much as water. I'd say the number given earlier in the thread is probably correct.

Yep what Dinger said. You will overload the Bravada before that trailer. I'd love to find one of those little buggers.

According to my green log chart, shagbark is 64 lbs. per cubic foot, or 203 pounds for a 1' section of 24" wood. That would mean your 9' of log would weigh 1809 lbs.

Well, thanks everyone. Sounds like I'm not doing too bad with the load weights then.

As far as the plywood sides: They were on there when I bought the trailer - I never stack for a road trip as tall as the wooden sides but I do feel the load is a little more secure having the wooden sides as I don't normally strap my loads.

I do kind of baby my trailer - even when it's empty I don't travel on the freeways. Part of that reason is I don't have a spare tire. Apparently the rim size is not the problem it is the 'curvature' design of the interior of the rim & the 4 bolt pattern.

Just to 'show its age' it has the old style screw-tight tongue hitch not the latch down type. I about had a fit last summer when I started down the road with the trailer empty and had not tightened the hitch. (dumb dumb me!) I hit a bump in the road and the trailer jumped off the hitch. The original chains held the trailer up but the jolt turned one "s" hook into a "j" so I had to replace the chains - bugged me to have to remove the original chains. :(

Shari

Just to 'show its age' it has the old style screw-tight tongue hitch not the latch down type. I about had a fit last summer when I started down the road with the trailer empty and had not tightened the hitch. (dumb dumb me!) I hit a bump in the road and the trailer jumped off the hitch. The original chains held the trailer up but the jolt turned one "s" hook into a "j" so I had to replace the chains - bugged me to have to remove the original chains. :(

Shari
LOL, thats funny!
Well kinda (glad no one got hurt)
I have a 6X8 trailer with that same "tongue hitch" and I did the same exact thing earlier this week but lucky for me, I thought of it half way down the block and it was still hangin on. :blob2:

Mine is a 4x6 CampOut, A-Tongue, 13" 5 lug wheels built 1985. I believe my axle is 1500 not 2000, but I have loaded it with 1 ton of pellets and drove it only about 3 miles in town and it did fine although I wouldn't want to do that too many times or farther.

My BIN has a 6x12 with the 4 lug wheels and a few weeks back a spindle ripped right off with about a ton of stone dust on it. Not that the 4 lug rim has anything to due with the spindle capability, you can just replace the hub to accept 5 lug rim.

Trailer

Shari, I have the same ex military 4 X 6 trailer. To confirm the axle look underneath the trailer, Mine has a cast I beam drop axle. i.e the spring mounts are lower then the wheel center lines. I agree with the consensus here, you can not overload it. I recently rebuilt mine with 1/4 sawn oak decking and replaced some of the original 2 X 2 cross members. At that time I did get rid of my screw down hitch. I kept forgetting it as well. I also doubled the tongue by adding a channel on top of the old one. It had a rust hole in it and needed some help. Great old trailers. Mine was a gift from my neighbor. He moved in to the house 50 years ago and the trailer was there then. Cool stuff.

Latest posts

Back