Door Glass and Gasket Materials

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodTick007

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello and Happy New Year !

I am looking to replace the door glass and gaskets on my Appalachian Gemni XL wood stove. I was looking for a cost effective source to acquire both. It seems the gasket material I buy from my local shop is expensive and does not last very long...... I usually get one season out of the gasket rope. With regards to my glass i just can't get it clean.... So if anyone has something to suggest on cleaning the glass I would be more than willing to try a new process to clean my current door glass.

Thanks again for your input.

The worst of it can be scraped off using a new razor blade and the remaining cleaned up using a paper towel and a paste made of some cool ashes mixed with a little water, works good.

I have a Comfort wood stove and I replace the gasket about every two years

I get the gasket material at local hardware store that comes on rolls and I buy by the foot and there is two sizes he has; 3/4" and 1 1/4" when it gets flatting out it works great (I use the 3/4")

The stove gasket cement I use is "Rutland Black" it's rated to 2000 F it's made for steel and cast iron

I get 6 ft of 3/4" gasket material for $24 and the stove gasket cement is $4.50 a tube

I keep all this info on my computer because I have CRS :jester:

Last edited:
The best method I found to clean to glass was to wet a paper towel, and dip it in some ash from the stove. The ash works as a slight abrasive to scrub the tough stuff. Then I would do a final cleaning with just a slightly wet paper towel.
Since I've been burning drier wood and hotter fires I haven't had to clean the glass all season so far yet. My stove does have an air wash system to clean the glass itself. However with wet wood it couldn't keep it clean on its own.

No......lol Would you like to share the procedure used and what brand of oven cleaner?

Ez off I guess just open the door when it’s cool and spray some on. Wait than wipe off. It’s been a while. Lately it’s been staying really clean. Wife broke the original piece and the new one hasn’t been a problem? Not sure why. I do know that’s stuff isn’t cheap. Also I got a piece of steel to use in and emergency. Wife broke it on a nail or something in a piece of wood.

Box store will have wood stove glass cleaner, it works great. Also the glass is pretty cheap at a glass place. Its actually ceramic. Portland glass around here sells it.

what you call cheep? got it from glass company in Fargo i remeber paying 50 buck for a 10x14 piece they called it PyroCeram®

I bought a piece several years back and a 9 x 17 piece was well over $100.... I bought my stove pre-enjoyed and the people had plain old window glass in the door.... I was like WTF??? lol I may just pull the glass and put a piece 1/8-3/16 plate steel in. I never look at the fire. To me the glass is just a way to do a quick visual on how the stove is burning.
I don't think the oven cleaner will work for me..... I burn my stove 24/7 from November to April. I will try it in the spring and let you know how it works

Glass Cleaner

Here is what I use for the glass on my stove's door. Knight's Fireview Premium Cleaner.
I don't remember which store I got it from but I am thinking it was Lowes.

While the stove is cold I just swing the door open and spread a couple layers of newspapers underneath to catch the drippings. I just spray a coat across the top of the glass and the goo begins to ooze down. A paper towel will wipe the biggest part of the goo right off and then a lighter second spraying will get the rest.

DO NOT TRY TO CLEAN THE GLASS IF IT IS HOT.

Nosmo

Latest posts

Back