Double Fir tree removal with the help of a crane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work! How big was that crane and how much an hour? if you don't mind disclosing.

Cheers Ricky, I believe it was either a 100 or 150ton crane, was a monster, had a huge trailer just to carry the pads for the outriggers. As far as price goes I think it was around $4000 for the day.

that was beauty! did you have another guy up the other tree with a cam or did you just jump around? looked like a lot of fun

Didn't have another guy in the tree, I had an extra camera so jumped across to the second tree once I'd cut a section and attached the camera to a branch, thought it would look cool from that angle.

Another film me and the boys at work shot. Always fun when the machine does the hard graft, and the climber gets to take in the views.

hope you enjoy.

Dan

Double Fir tree removal with the help of a crane - YouTube

Im just an hour or so south of you in seattle, were you able to make any money on that job seems doubtful? What you spent on the crane alone is on the high end of what I typically bid on removing a couple basic firs. Looked like you could of taken the fence down and bought a descent used mini with yours savings.
Those huge shelf cuts and lack of pretension seemed a bit sketchy .Instead of making the co break the picks off, why not just make one cut through into the direction of the end weight?

Im just an hour or so south of you in seattle, were you able to make any money on that job seems doubtful? What you spent on the crane alone is on the high end of what I typically bid on removing a couple basic firs. Looked like you could of taken the fence down and bought a descent used mini with yours savings.
Those huge shelf cuts and lack of pretension seemed a bit sketchy .Instead of making the co break the picks off, why not just make one cut through into the direction of the end weight?

I was wondering about the shelf cuts as well? I don't use them. Where is our almighty banned OD to help us out? I am sure Don has a good answer for us as he knows his s##$ Fill us in

I was just there to do the job, it wasn't a job i'd bid on. But the price was $7500.
Whenever I work with a crane I always use shelf cuts because then you get a clean snap, rather than it tearing or trapping the saw. All of the sections with branches on were tensioned just to take the weight so when they snapped off the piece could be taken away nice and slowly rather than having lots of pressure on the crane and it bouncing around like a nutter (as I've seen happen before) The only pieces the operator broke off were the bottom sections of each tree, which was to prevent the sections swinging around and hitting fences etc. Hope that explains my technique

Nice vid. $7,500 bucks, wow, wish we could make that kinda money here. That's a 3 maybe 4k job around these parts. Lucky SOB,s. looks like you had fun.

I was just there to do the job, it wasn't a job i'd bid on. But the price was $7500.
Whenever I work with a crane I always use shelf cuts because then you get a clean snap, rather than it tearing or trapping the saw. All of the sections with branches on were tensioned just to take the weight so when they snapped off the piece could be taken away nice and slowly rather than having lots of pressure on the crane and it bouncing around like a nutter (as I've seen happen before) The only pieces the operator broke off were the bottom sections of each tree, which was to prevent the sections swinging around and hitting fences etc. Hope that explains my technique

Shelf , mismatch, snap, whatever its called its no good for crane work but if you are gonna keep doing it I suggest you use a shallow face cut instead of going in that deep.

There will come a time when the CO will try to break one of your shelf cuts and the whole trunk will split right down to the ground with you tied in to it with your lanyard. Ouch!

What works for you is all that matters for the most part. With respect, no climber in our parts would make those deep shelf cuts. Personally I think that cut is way more dangerous then a strait cut towards the end weight. If you could please p.m how your estimator pulled $7500 of that job ill buy you a beer or 9 if you make it down to the motherlandView attachment 248885.

What works for you is all that matters for the most part. With respect, no climber in our parts would make those deep shelf cuts. Personally I think that cut is way more dangerous then a strait cut towards the end weight. If you could please p.m how your estimator pulled $7500 of that job ill buy you a beer or 9 if you make it down to the motherlandView attachment 248885.

Are those Calvin Klien underwear you are wearing?

Hey Holden, don't think you'll be teaching me anything.
Check the difference in our avatar pic's. Me large and in charge ..you small and no ball s!

Thanks for the explanation

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back