Doubling Stihl warranty not apply to pro saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Bought a 500i yesterday, and was told that buying a six pack of oil to double the warranty only applied to homeowner saws, not to pro saws. Reading the Stihl warranty policy, the written policy only applies to homeowner use vs. commercial use, and doesn't specify by saw model at all.

Anyone have any input on this? I intend to call Stihl corporate tomorrow and ask them directly, but I know we have Stihl dealer owners here too and would appreciate their input.

Bought a 500i yesterday, and was told that buying a six pack of oil to double the warranty only applied to homeowner saws, not to pro saws. Reading the Stihl warranty policy, the written policy only applies to homeowner use vs. commercial use, and doesn't specify by saw model at all.

Anyone have any input on this? I intend to call Stihl corporate tomorrow ask them directly, but I know we have Stihl dealer owners here too and would appreciate their input.
I bought my 500i a bit'over a year ago and the dealer entered it online with Stihl and it states 2 years (1 year standard + 1 year bonus) because I purchased premix oil too….

That's a load of crap,or the ms400cm I bought last week isn't a pro saw. The dealer I got it from knows I do firewood and the occasional job for family or friends. Not commercial. I got the 6 pack of hp ultra on the same invoice and they registered the saw as non commercial use.

That's a load of crap,or the ms400cm I bought last week isn't a pro saw. The dealer I got it from knows I do firewood and the occasional job for family or friends. Not commercial. I got the 6 pack of hp ultra on the same invoice and they registered the saw as non commercial use.
Stihl must not be paying that well for warranty work…. Lol

Stihl must not be paying that well for warranty work…. Lol
Figured for $27.00 it's the cheapest extended warranty I could get. Even if they (typically) think my saws sit all winter with the same fuel in it. 🤣 fat chance lol.

The difference lies in commercial or residential use, not the grade of the saw.
Find a new dealer, that’s complete bs.
You may also want to call corporate and let them know what this dealer told you.
This wasn't a dealer, much less my preferred dealer. Just somewhere I stopped in which happened to have a 500i, so I jumped on it.

Will definitely be giving corporate a call tomorrow.

Thanks folks.

Anyone have any input on this? I intend to call Stihl corporate tomorrow and ask them directly, but I know we have Stihl dealer owners here too and would appreciate their input.
Bought my ms462cm a little over a year ago and was able to get the 2 year warranty with the 6 pack purchase. It’s a “pro” saw.

Under the Double Warranty Coverage Program, it States, "Machines... That are used for personal non-income producing household purposes, coverage will be doubled" if the original consumer purchases a 6-pack HP Ultra 2-cycle engine oil (any size) or minimum of 1 gallon of Stihl MotoMix pre-mixed fuel at the time the machine is purchase. (TS cut-off machines, GS concrete cutter, top handle chainsaws and pressure washers are not eligible).

Some saws are not eligible for the Double the Warranty. IE. The MS 194T or the 200T. These are Professional only saws.
If your dealer can register it on- line /In-Store (at the stores computer terminal) it will let you know right then and there that the saw is eligible. You have to enter that it's for "Home Owner" use and the next step will ask you if the customer bought the oil or the gallon of Moto-Mix. If you purchase a top handle saw, you will never get that chance. (Top Handle saws only have a 3 month warranty)

If you input that you are a Landscaper, Business, Government... etc. you will not get the chance to enter if you bought the Ultra oil or Moto-Mix. Again.. Homeowner only.

You can still get the "double the warranty" from the dealer if he/she enters that you bought the oil and really didn't.. same if they know your are a logger or a tree arborist and input "Homeowner." Stihl doesn't check the receipts. They rely on the dealers.... I imagine though if you get caught doing this too many time you can lose your Stihl license... that would be bad for the business.

I'm pretty sure your MS 500i is eligible for the Double the warranty as long as your a "Homeowner."
I know that a MS261 C-M and a MS 462 C-M, both "Pro Saws" are eligible for the Double the warranty.

The dealer can delete your registration and re- register it for you and correct that if they are so inclined .. if they don't... then I would call Stihl and let them know the situation... Maybe your salesperson just needs an education.. but that option should have been made available to you at registration.

The official wording is "Double limited warranty protection applies to select STIHL gasoline-powered products purchased for personal non-income producing, household purposes only. "

Don't worry about the oil not being on the original receipt.. explain to the manager that you tried to get the extended warranty and were denied by the salesperson who didn't know better... ask them to delete the registration, buy the oil or gallon of MotoMix and have them re-register the saw with the extended warranty... we've done it before, once or twice, when a new salesperson doesn't offer them the warranty and they call us back and ask about it.
Stihl wants the purchase at the point of sale, but if you didn't get offered or were denied, then you can buy it a day or two later.. Stihl just wants you to use their Ultra oil or their MotoMix.
Good Luck

Latest posts

Back