Doubling Stihl warranty not apply to pro saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have seen saws under warranty not honored anyway..same dealer customers have purchased nearly $20k worth of saws parts equipment every year...I almost grabbed the service manager by the neck after he said it was "bad gas" ..showed me some BS computer printout stating "starts, hours run ect" ...I asked for thr fuel analysis proving "fuel" ...
"We just know bad gas when we smell it..."
He had three guys behind him...I had one
Decided I should leave before we get to jail over a $600 garden tool

I thought all stihl dealers were required to have a stihl certified mechanic on staff. Is that not true?

The same thing happened to me when I purchased my 462. I emailed Stihl customer service and rep told me that is was covered for homeowner use and got it straightened out. I never said a thing to the dealer. My next saw was an Echo. I'll keep the creamsicles that I own and maintain them.

The same thing happened to me when I purchased my 462. I emailed Stihl customer service and rep told me that is was covered for homeowner use and got it straightened out. I never said a thing to the dealer. My next saw was an Echo. I'll keep the creamsicles that I own and maintain them.
What brand will you go to when you get an unfavorable response from your Echo dealer?

So how do you go about that? Special dealer relationship? 🤔
Probably , have bought 12 saws from him since 2015.
He always gives a decent discount w/ cash , 15-18 % off list. I called all the Stihl dealers w/i a 100 mile radius year ago and asked if they gave some kind of discount w/ cash .

This dealer said "yes" so he has gotten my business over the years.
The dealership is a 160 mile round trip.

Still waiting on a 462R with 25" light bar that I ordered back in December 2021

Probably , have bought 12 saws from him since 2015.
He always gives a decent discount w/ cash , 15-18 % off list. I called all the Stihl dealers w/i a 100 mile radius year ago and asked if they gave some kind of discount w/ cash .

This dealer said "yes" so he has gotten my business over the years.
The dealership is a 160 mile round trip.

Still waiting on a 462R with 25" light bar that I ordered back in December 2021
Used to be a handful of dealers like that around here. I was quite upset with how my preferred dealer (about a 45 min drive, close by your comparison) acted when I called to get a new saw last week. They did end up knocking some money off it, but don't do cash deals anymore, and they claim they are no longer doing wait lists or pre orders for saws. Nice to hear there's still some decent places around yet.

Have seen saws under warranty not honored anyway..same dealer customers have purchased nearly $20k worth of saws parts equipment every year...I almost grabbed the service manager by the neck after he said it was "bad gas" ..showed me some BS computer printout stating "starts, hours run ect" ...I asked for thr fuel analysis proving "fuel" ...
"We just know bad gas when we smell it..."
He had three guys behind him...I had one
Decided I should leave before we get to jail over a $600 garden tool
Had same thing happen with the first husqy I bought Years and years ago. I cut year round, not as much as over winter as I do in summer but it's rare for a saw to sit more then a month. Dealer said it needed a carb and had bad gas in it. (I knew this was a load of bs.) Told them to fix it and call me when it was done. About a week later I got a call that the saw was fixed. Asked what was wrong and they said it had an air leak. Apparently they replaced the carb and it ran the same. Joke was on them. Now they replaced a carb that wasn't faulty and realized it wasn't a fuel problem. Haven't used that dealer since.

Well, the one you started the thread about.
Just curious as to what the problem is?
You probably have an idea of the problem. Stihl sales folks and parts counter folks have a habit of acting like they are doing you a favor by lecturing you but later on you figure out that accidentally or on purpose they were baffling you with ********.

I bought an ht250 maybe 6 months ago. Was the sales person (in this instance the owner) supposed to pitch buying oil to extend warranty? I would not but in the case of the fuel injected chain saw at three times the cost a different dynamic.

Sort of a diversion, Stihl still only has one of their various displacement two cycle demo saws a fuel injected version. I believe this is the case at any rate. Why?

Some saws are not eligible for the Double the Warranty. IE. The MS 194T or the 200T. These are Professional only saws.
If your dealer can register it on- line /In-Store (at the stores computer terminal) it will let you know right then and there that the saw is eligible. You have to enter that it's for "Home Owner" use and the next step will ask you if the customer bought the oil or the gallon of Moto-Mix. If you purchase a top handle saw, you will never get that chance. (Top Handle saws only have a 3 month warranty)

If you input that you are a Landscaper, Business, Government... etc. you will not get the chance to enter if you bought the Ultra oil or Moto-Mix. Again.. Homeowner only.

You can still get the "double the warranty" from the dealer if he/she enters that you bought the oil and really didn't.. same if they know your are a logger or a tree arborist and input "Homeowner." Stihl doesn't check the receipts. They rely on the dealers.... I imagine though if you get caught doing this too many time you can lose your Stihl license... that would be bad for the business.

I'm pretty sure your MS 500i is eligible for the Double the warranty as long as your a "Homeowner."
I know that a MS261 C-M and a MS 462 C-M, both "Pro Saws" are eligible for the Double the warranty.

The dealer can delete your registration and re- register it for you and correct that if they are so inclined .. if they don't... then I would call Stihl and let them know the situation... Maybe your salesperson just needs an education.. but that option should have been made available to you at registration.

The official wording is "Double limited warranty protection applies to select STIHL gasoline-powered products purchased for personal non-income producing, household purposes only. "
I got the double warranty when I bought my 500i a year ago. I own a tree farm but I use the saw for personal firewood collection. I don't do timber harvests. I leave that to real pros. The 500i is one heck of a firewood saw!

Latest posts

Back