DR 10 Ton "Dual" Electric vs. Ramsplitter 16 T Electric Owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logbutcher

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Attention: Owners with time on either the latest DR 10 ton "dual action" electric or the Ramsplitter 16 Ton Electric ?
Comments. Problems. Power. Durability.

Getting rid of the old gas 22 Ton so I can sing, listen to NPR, argue with Rush on air, have solo intelligent conversations. :rolleyes2:

Wood averages < 20" DBH. 6-8 cords/year. Red/Soft Maple, Paper Birch, some Red Oak, some White or Green Ash, a little Apple, plenty of shoulder season spruce and fir.

Want electric on a 110v, 20a circuit.

Leaning towards the DR 10T: the build "looks" more robust --boxed beam, hoses out of the way of the action, dual action. Exceptional QC and customer service. Also a 6 month no questions trial ( pay shipping both ways of course ). The Ramsplitter has an excellent rep online from owners. Price is ~ $1000 for both splitters.

Last edited:
I have the ramsplitter 16 t electric , bought it last summer, have split about 10 cords of wood so far and it works fine no excess noise or gas fumes or gas to buy.
As far as power it will split almost eveything, and i get some pretty ugly wood, there are some little leaks on the hoses but not enough to worry about.
just plug it in and split
I am also wondering if I can use it in the winter, or is the fluid to thick

I have the ramsplitter 16 t electric , bought it last summer, have split about 10 cords of wood so far and it works fine no excess noise or gas fumes or gas to buy.
As far as power it will split almost eveything, and i get some pretty ugly wood, there are some little leaks on the hoses but not enough to worry about.

Thx for the recommendation.

You can get lower viscosity hydraulic fluid for colder temps. Used here in northern Maine for hydraulics--skidders, excavators, harvesters-- in winter. Check the rating on what you have now.

Attention: Owners with time on either the latest DR 10 ton "dual action" electric or the Ramsplitter 16 Ton Electric ?
Comments. Problems. Power. Durability.

Getting rid of the old gas 22 Ton so I can sing, listen to NPR, argue with Rush on air, have solo intelligent conversations. :rolleyes2:

Wood averages < 20" DBH. 6-8 cords/year. Red/Soft Maple, Paper Birch, some Red Oak, some White or Green Ash, a little Apple, plenty of shoulder season spruce and fir.

Want electric on a 110v, 20a circuit.

Leaning towards the DR 10T: the build "looks" more robust --boxed beam, hoses out of the way of the action, dual action. Exceptional QC and customer service. Also a 6 month no questions trial ( pay shipping both ways of course ). The Ramsplitter has an excellent rep online from owners. Price is ~ $1000 for both splitters.

Hi Logbutcher.

All I have is a little Ryobi 4 ton electric job from Home Depot for $299. Light, easy to maneuver around, reliable as dirt, and cheap to operate. Had it for 7 years now and it's split virtually everything I've thrown at it. Split over 50 cords with it so far, 10 cords a year. Most of my stuff is 14 to 18 " in diameter, but I've split some MUCH BIGGER stuff. I use it summer and winter with the same viscosity fluid. Nice thing about Home Depot is they said I could take it home and try it, and I could bring it back if I didn't like it. Cycle time is about 10 seconds. I can split a face cord by myself in 45 minutes. Don't let it's diminutive size and tonnage fool ya. For the kind of wood I collect in Northeast Wisconsin, she flat gets the job done !

4-Ton Electric Log Splitter-RY49701 at The Home Depot

Here's a vid of a guy splitting a 25"Maple.
[video=youtube;0lVtwFGuGqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lVtwFGuGqc[/video]

Here's a guy that put it on a table. That's what I did. But I also built a table to hold the rounds to be split so I can just roll them on to the splitter. I load the table up with 10 or 12 rounds and split away, throwing the splits in to my trailer.
[video=youtube;gophm8tGHMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gophm8tGHMc[/video]

Just giving you some food for thought.

Don <><

This is the kind of stuff I generally split.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Dear Don:

You have been warned about your faux pas in owning a white shiny pickup.
Your hubris is unacceptable. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Kindly get the beast to look like a PU, change the color (colour in Canadian ), or have a GTG for AS people to apply real dirt so that it doesn't look like it belongs on a city street ....at night for soliciting. :yoyo:

Respectfully,

LB

Last edited:
Sorry, I might be responding too late to be useful, but I have the Ramsplitter for several years, and it has been fine in every way. When I bent the wedge "sled" by running it over a hard bolt, Doug at Ramplitter sent me a new wedge and "forgot" to charge me. Mine is wired 220 because in cold temperatures, 30 F or below, it was tripping the 20 amp breaker at startup, even with the Dextran atf fluid. I plug it into a drier outlet.

It has no drama to it, flick a switch, splits the wood. It sits in my wood stacking area under a old barbeque grill cover, until the winter when it moves into the garage to split kindling. The lack of noise, exhaust fumes are great. Oddly my biggest complaint is that I have left it on overnight on several occasions.

It has worked" commercially" when a family (husband not working due to injury, so the wife and kids split, sold wood) used it to pay bills. They put the splitter into an enclosed shed ( to keep out the snow and wind), brought a load of rounds in with a tractor bucket, dumped it, threw the splits into the tractor bucket and then dumped the splits into a trailer. It worked most every day all winter. Slower than some splitters, but inside a shed, it worked where a gas engine would have been problematic.

Complaints, I had to replace the motor mounted switch with a heavy duty switch, rerouted some hoses to be out of the workstream, replaced the leaky pneumatic tires with foam filled wheel barrow tires. I put a wooden board, over the motor as I have dented the capacitor cover with errant wood.

Likes, you can work either side, good working height for most people. Splits anything most people can lift on the beam. Quiet, fume free, can work inside a shed or garage.

Oil does not heat up, and at 1750 motor rpm, the lovejoy connector, pump should last a long time.

No experience with the DR splitter, but I would get this splitter again.

Looking at your pictures, be aware that this splitter has an 18 inch ram, with a twenty inch opening between wedge and foot. If you want something to split longer wood, this the wrong splitter. With this caution, this splitter will work up anything I saw on your truck.

Maybe helpful

Last edited:
Info

I have a 20 ton Ramsplitter 220 it has split wood for so long I don't remember when not that first problem. It had a 16 gpm and I had to change it to a 11 gpm do to it was to fast for what I was doing. I have a bark stripper on it and I had to hold wood to take the bark off. It stay in my shop but I have a 30 ton and a 20 ton three point on my tractors with princes pumps. They RamSplitters and when I want to get banging some firewood. They do the job. I split wood year round for sale. My electric gets used 3 days a week year round. Talk to Doug RamSplitters he nice fellow later my electric is a 24 inch ram not the short ones. I have split a Oak 23 inch by 4 ft and 8 inchs had to hold it with fork lift and cut chunks off it. It never stopped. The only thing it works hard on is rock cherry
it even works my 30 ton on ideal. My friend makes fun of my electric so I had a 20 x 3 and a half chunk I saw him splitting so I rolled it in my bucket to it to him he has a 35 husky he stuck it in the splitter and it straight killed the engine . Got my tractor went home laughing have not heard a word about my electric. I mounted mine on a steel table so I would have a place to put my split wood. Go to my Facebook you can see my set up Charles Thomas.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back