dream truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I've never seen a Uni Mog here... Do they sell em' in the states?

Its a dream. Mine would start as an Army loader hoe model, yank the hoe, stretch the frame and add crane dump and a grapple on the bucket. Add the big C under the hood, paint it up and away we go.

Here is a UNIMOG 406 that someone cut the body off of and added a cage to. It is doing a bit of climbing. I have a 406 and it will go places others fear to tread. It's hard to get stuck but even harder to get UNstuck.
[video=youtube;s-G6vpNPb7E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-G6vpNPb7E[/video]

For PROMAC 610

Kyle, I told my wife I would sell my truck. I didn't commit to when. And yes, you can get anything stuck. Here are some pictures of the truck driving school put on for some guys at church and a picture of the truck hauling firewood. Ron

View attachment 244800View attachment 244801View attachment 244803View attachment 244804View attachment 244806

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

As long as we're dreaming, I want a Unimog with front loader and grapple, crane and dump box on the back, and a suitable off road capable hook lift trailer for easy deliveries, and a quick swap between dump box and log bunks.

Steve, they sell these things almost every week. Almost all have low hours, some are in good shape and others look to be trashed. 2420 - Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation Ron

Ron, you put a big smile on my face. Good to see those old beasts are still working and being taken care of.

Ron, you put a big smile on my face. Good to see those old beasts are still working and being taken care of.

This one is actually "recycled". Rebuilt in 1997 by AM General under the Extended Service Program initiated to save $. Goal was to re-make 2 trucks from 3 old ones and update them with a CAT diesel, Allison automatic (they don't want to train recruits to run a manual), dual circuit brakes (about time!), air assist steering, springer driver's seat, super single tires and central tire inflate and deflate. The winch models, as mine, have the winch pto replaced with a hydraulic pump and motor. You can tell they were oriented for the desert as they aren't much for bushwacking with all the plastic air lines and the winch oil tank dangling from the bumper. Last time I had it in the woods I had to rob air line fittings from one valve to another to repair the winch so we could pull out some stuck trucks and trailers. A couple of the guys in the pictures stuck the oil tank in the dirt with too much speed through our little obstacle course. I understand that they were not too successful in Iraq as they were almost overloaded and underpowered when armored against IUDs. But for the cost of a used pickup, they are pretty cool. Ron

I'd agree...the ole dueces will get stuck. I've also put some tanks in places they probably shouldn't have been...you want to talk about tough to get out. Trying tuggin 68 tons out of the mud that is over halfway up the skirts and not being able to utilize the tanks own power at all b/c of fear of blowing the turbine since the exhaust is under the mud. The M88 w/ winch doubled just was pulling itself into the mud. Had to put two M1 tanks on the other end of the M88 and have them pull to hold the M88 before she finally drug out.

Note that it is not licensed. Depending on your state that can be very hard to do……….

You'd have to think outside the box... It would have to be a tractor...
See??? But you couldn't drive it on the interstate...
When you get regulated out of more...
Think less...
:msp_wink:

You'd have to think outside the box... It would have to be a tractor...
See??? But you couldn't drive it on the interstate...
When you get regulated out of more...
Think less...
:msp_wink:

Yep, still works fairly good here in WI. Fert spreader trucks, manure tanker trucks, and silage trucks are all commonly run as implements of husbandry here with no registration. It gets sticky real quick when you go to a tractor trailer unit though. DOT's position on that is that the tractor "COULD" be used for regular purposes, and is pretty sticky about registering them. That's why most farms running the rigs I mention use straight trucks. Those running tractor trailers usually have a farm tag on the tractor. (Note to non-trucker types: when I'm saying tractor in this post, I'm referring to semi tractors, not farm tractors.)

Ron, I never ran an -A3, they look good to first sight, but the 3116 is far from Cat's best (shoulda used an 8.3 and shared pieces with the 900 series tonners), and it sounds like the makeover was a cobble job.

Now back to "my" 'mog: Who's gonna float me some cash to build it? I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today! PS Ron, I was gonna get a link up to one when I got back home to the laptop, but you beat me to it. There's a nicer one in Guam with Hyd chainsaw (CAD!), jackhammer (field expedient log splitter) and hammer drill (for boring in to place dynamite on those pesky stumps!) tool set, but how the heck do you get one from Guam to WI? The bigger question is how the heck do I pay for it?

don't have a dream truck, but rather trucks

of which, I'm lucky enough to have the first one

IMG_20110408_182646sm.jpg

8.1L, Allison, 16.5 Warn, etc...though a similarly setup Top Kick would be nice sometimes
she regularly tugs a skidloader and attachments around, and has been known to blow the doors off a powerjoke or two :msp_razz:

others...

duece.5...just to hear the turbo spool up

or maybe a newer LMTV

HMMWV

some old tractor with a brownie...preferrably a cabover so you can get good bounce when you grab the wrong combo

...I'm kinda open to red-headed step-child trucks

nice setups ya'll are dreamin' about

Oh my side hurts!I fell out of my chair laughing when you made that joke about blowing the doors off a Powerstroke.You must be talking about the 6.7 or 6.9.That thang won't hang with no 7.3!:msp_biggrin:

Ron, I never ran an -A3, they look good to first sight, but the 3116 is far from Cat's best (shoulda used an 8.3 and shared pieces with the 900 series tonners), and it sounds like the makeover was a cobble job.

Agreed. Lots of good ideas but I'm not sure they got anything right except maybe bringing the brakes up to 1968 standards. CTIS - way too complicated and unreliable; air assist steering ???; 4 speed auto with no overdrive; hydraulic oil tank exposed; speciality tires; disposable CAT. But it will run, pull a load, fairly good mpg and almost any twelve year old can drive it. Ron

Oh my side hurts!I fell out of my chair laughing when you made that joke about blowing the doors off a Powerstroke.You must be talking about the 6.7 or 6.9.That thang won't hang with no 7.3!:msp_biggrin:

I have a pair of Nikes that will out run a 7.3. My dream truck: One thats paid for.

You know, I've never seen a Uni Mog here... Do they sell em' in the states?

Yes they do.

I knew a guy who had one w/ a snow blower... They stopped using it because it liked to suck up pieces of speed bump & throw them through second story windows!

Latest posts

Back