Dried alder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TumblebugTaylor

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im the assistant manager and dozer operator at a private landfill. One of our weekly dumps is a 40 yard can of dried alder blocks from the cabinet shop. Its mostly 1x3 blocks 3 to 14 inches long. I never had heard of alder before we got this can. Every fall I divert a load to the house. I originally wanted this for the shop heater but I havent finished this yet. I cant belive how hot this stuff burns. My old Ashley wont seal around the doors really good.

what made me a beliver was I had a load of split green magnolia and oak on the 1 ton dump. I have my dry wood on pallets out in the yard. I late and the fire was out,. My wife was on the way home and I wanted the hous warm. I realixed i couldnt get the loader out to the pallets so I dumped the green wood i nthe drive way and went put the 1 yard mulch bucket on the Skid steer. I loaded the bucket with the alder blocks and dumped them o nthe porch. I filled the heater up and then put a load of green blocks on top of it. That saved my bacon till I could drag out a few pallets of dry.

Does anyone here use alder as a heat source?

I prefer the red alder to doug fir by a pretty good margin. Reason is that it makes enough ash and coals to burn a bit longer. The doug fir makes almost no ash and so the coals burn up by morning.

Much less bark with alder and no splinters.

The trouble is that your hands and clothes get dyed red from their juices when you work it green.

Latest posts

Back