drill adapter for GRCS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coydog

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have seen a drill used to power the GRCS winch. can anyone give me the specifics of this operation?

Carl, You nailed it right.

Its about 2-3" long, has a 1/2" shaft on one end and a squared other end. It fits a 1/2" drill (either gas or electric) and is placed where the handle would go.

The normally retail at about $55. Its a great deal to have in addition to your grcs.

Specially if you have a gas drill!:)

I dont, but when I get my GRCS I am going to get the stihl gas drill. Seems too much like doing it right; minimal operator fatigue, consistant pull speed/load, use it to hual me up the tree (maybe), and just plain cool:cool:.

Sherrill part number #28220 $82. Phone number is: 1-800-525-8873

They offer price matching on any mail order company, so if you find a lower price, they will match it, call them for the details.

As part of the kit for a 2000.00+ peice of gear I was expecting something a little better machined. but whatever. :Eye:

There ya go!

I figured if ya had it you woulda PMed him or posted it here.

I assume you carry the GRCS? How much? (PM me if needed:))

don't buy a gas drill

A gas drill will not pull a climber up a tree. I've tried. I have the best gas drill made by Stihl and it won't do it. I have used a heavy duty corded drill (dewalt) and it works like a charm. These are the big fat drills that look like but are not hammer drills.
Greg

funny thing: I just bought a gas drill today. Well, guess i'll just have to try that out as soon as i buy the grcs. Bought it mostly for verti-mulching and fertilization.

Greg said:
A gas drill will not pull a climber up a tree. I've tried. I have the best gas drill made by Stihl and it won't do it. I have used a heavy duty corded drill (dewalt) and it works like a charm. These are the big fat drills that look like but are not hammer drills.
Greg

Have you tried using a friction saver or something?

with this pulley and this drill.... No go. Charley Portif (sp?). who sold me the adapter also said you are much better with the elec drill, not gas.
Greg

wow, Isn't that somethin. At least they're good for vertical mulching. I've only used the big electrics w/ the grcs and didn't have any problem there however it is such a pain dealing w/ cords.

What they said.

The gas drills are not high torque, I don't like thgem for bolting big trees either.

A heavy duty electric is the way to go, they are not as heavy and don't stink as bad. Very rarely are we far away from an electric outlet.

The gas drills are good for forwarding brush out of ravines though, when using the GRCS.

JP,

We just finished up doing a job with GRCS doing exactly the same thing pulling brush up hill, miserable tangled mess hanging out over the edge of a lake with a steep slope.

We sure could have used a gas drill to power the GRCS for this job, but I don't have one. For the next job a drill is going to be a must have to save cranking, that gets old but is much better than trying to untangle the mess with a chainsaw and muscle power and still be able to move it uphill and have energy left at the end of the day.

I have been doing a search on this gas drill verses electric drill for the GRCS. so far everyone has mentioned the drill from Sthil, no one seems to be impressed with it for doing GRCS work. Echo makes a similar product. Anyone ever use one these drills ??? Is the Echo any better or about the same as the Sthil in power and torque??? Not just for pulling brush, but doing some light to meduim tree work with the GRCS.

I don't have a clue on this one as I don't have any experience with any of Echo's products or gas powered drills.

Larry

Last edited:
JP,

We just finished up doing a job with GRCS doing exactly the same thing pulling brush up hill, miserable tangled mess hanging out over the edge of a lake with a steep slope.

We sure could have used a gas drill to power the GRCS for this job, but I don't have one. For the next job a drill is going to be a must have to save cranking, that gets old but is much better than trying to untangle the mess with a chainsaw and muscle power and still be able to move it uphill and have energy left at the end of the day.

I have been doing a search on this gas drill verses electric drill for the GRCS. so far everyone has mentioned the drill from Sthil, no one seems to be impressed with it for doing GRCS work. Echo makes a similar product. Anyone ever use one these drills ??? Is the Echo any better or about the same as the Sthil in power and torque??? Not just for pulling brush, but doing some light to meduim tree work with the GRCS.

I don't have a clue on this one as I don't have any experience with any of Echo's products or gas powered drills.

Larry

Larry i can tell you first hand cuz i just bought the grcs and used a gas stihl drill and used a pulley up in the tree and the set up could barely haul me up. I just pulled down on the line and got up but it wasn't what i thought it would be. the grcs video shows a electric and that's what i would use. As for using a gas drill to pull i have two words "no power"

Thanks Ricky,

Your basically saying the same as thing as I have been finding out from others who have tried it. Might as well go that extra mile and get a generator with the drill. I have been looking at electric drills lately, still haven't gotten one, probaly go the route like the GRCS video shows a Milwaukee right angle drill. More stuff to lug around just to do a tree removal:)

I did picked up one those Sthil gas drills at the saw shop just to see how it would feel, they are awkward and a some what off balanced to me for a hand tool . I was kind of turned off by the whole idea of using one, I could see they would be more of a pain to use than a electric drill, I don't think you would have quite the control either like you would a regular electric drill.

Latest posts

Back