Drinkin' Stump ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrow13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's the story. I friend needed a good sized coastal pine (SW Washington) taken down last year. As spring came around he decided to pull the stump. His imagination kicked in. He decided to try and make a a drinkin' table next to the fire pit, with the stump up side down. Neat idea. I offered to get my c-saw mill out and help him with this. It's not pretty but it was a fun job to experiment. I used my Stihl 076 Super with a Cannon 33" bar. I used my Alaska Mark III mill for a couple cuts then free-handed the rest. The 36" mill just wouldn't fit well for all the cuts. My full wrap handle interfered a lot too. I removed the dogs to get more cutting room with the mill. After I removed the mill, I needed one dog to get leverage for cutting these roots. This was a first so, here it is. My friend continues to peel all the bark off and plans to try and prevent much cracking by sealing it. Not sure yet what he plan to do. Has anyone else done this?
After the cutting was done, he sprayed water over all to see the grain. He is now debarking as much as he can and sanding the flats as much as he can. Some folks are actually wanting to buy it. Not happening. Fun idea though.
This is my first thread to start, so bear with me to get pictures posted.

Attachments

• DSCF0074[1].JPG
    DSCF0074[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 245
  • DSCF0076[1].JPG
    DSCF0076[1].JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 231
  • DSCF0078[1].JPG
    DSCF0078[1].JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 223
If you get it close with the saw, build a sliding table around it that you can run a router on with a big straight bit and really clean it up and flatten it out.
That's a neat idea. I had not thought of that. I'll suggest it to the owner and see what he says.
How would a sliding table be set up?

I just did a test search for "router sled" to see if it got the results I thought I wanted you to be able to find. You will see how routers have been used to plane large slabs. Sliding table, or framework, level all the way around that stump, that your router sled can be used with. I made a router sled, but haven't used it much, but enough to know that sometimes there is more variation in the slab to be leveled (planed) than what the router depth adjustment can accommodate. Then you have to reset your table / framework, keeping it parallel to the first set-up. Hmm, maybe a series of shims, (maybe half-inch each) all around, that can be removed one at a time to lower the level of the table / frame until the whole surface can be planed down.

Oh, by the way, that is awesome. I can see why there have been offers to buy it.
Thanks X2. It sound like it would be an expensive challenge to set up a router table for this big job. I doubt the owner will want to take that challenge. Perhaps in the future with a smaller stump project. I'll share the info with him.

That's a neat idea. I had not thought of that. I'll suggest it to the owner and see what he says.
How would a sliding table be set up?
A box long enough to reach across paralell supports attached opposite sides of blank that needs to be planed or flattened. This is reffered as a "hat" in my metal working history even tho the brim is on the inside to supportr the router base with room in between for the bottoming bit. A stop on the outside bottom of the hat both sides keeps the box supported by the guide rails so it won't tip in. The larger the diameter of the bottoming bit the slower the router speed. The box has ends that holds the box sides firm.
Take router feed the right direction, make a pass down the box disengage bit from cutting ,to the side, feed in original direction, repeat. Bring bit lower , discrepency needed as depth of cut, repeat first series of passes.
There are vid's in AS that show this off, but I needed the reminder for my near future.
Stay safe

From the looks of that thing it might end up with different height tops anyway. Just make the sled big enough for the largest surface.
And this type of router bit works well. The larger the diameter the less /RPM!IMG_20170524_154250.jpg And seeing that table got me to cut the top this way.IMG_20170524_141257.jpg I will have to level and then level plane. Pictures to follow once I've sliced log and limbs into movable bits and make the router slide box. Please note I'm old and slow (-;

And this type of router bit works well. The larger the diameter the less /RPM!View attachment 581206 And seeing that table got me to cut the top this way.View attachment 581207 I will have to level and then level plane. Pictures to follow once I've sliced log and limbs into movable bits and make the router slide box. Please note I'm old and slow (-;
SeMoTony,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and pics. The pic of your stump is a bit blurry for me but the router bits are clear. Glad to see you showing an example of what can be done.
I'll plan to post some pics of the progress of the original drinkin' stump. The owner has pretty much finished his idea. Standby for pics soon.

Very cool idea - but is it anchored to the ground in any way? I 'd hate to have it topple over on someone.
As far as the surfaces, I would keep different levels but flatten them with a powered hand planer and maybe pour on a layer of clear epoxy. That would be flat and self-leveling.

Very cool! It's amazing the ideas that pop up sitting around a fire with some brain lubricant! I second Buzz Sawyer's idea, I've had good luck with power planers when I need to hog some wood off, use the router option for the thinnest amount possible, it takes forever. That said, if you ever need to scarf a couple pieces of wood together, a couple angled blocks and a router sled work awesome!

buzz sawyer, JDP,
Good thoughts to remember. The owner used Thompson's water seal on all surfaces. There is a bit of punkiness going on in one of the roots. He is trying to keep the sow bugs from infiltrating from the ground side. On that root he tried to seal some plexiglass on that spot to see if it would help. Moisture soon built up behind it so he's contemplating how effective that idea is.
The stump sits on fresh gravel. He's pretty confident that it will stay up-right without anchoring it. Will try to add some photos here.
BTW, he relocated the stump and put it next to the "Liars Den" area. He's still getting offers to buy it.

Back