Drop starting saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You drop start your chain saws:

• Always, every time, no matter what

Votes: 174 38.7%
  • Mostly (unless the safety boss is around)

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • Usually (unless I am feeling guilty or safety minded)

Votes: 54 12.0%
  • Sometimes (only when the dang thing will not start)

Votes: 53 11.8%
  • Rarely (only when the mother-in-law is in town)

Votes: 51 11.3%
  • Never, every time, no matter what

Votes: 64 14.2%
  • Other (I let someone else start my saws)

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters
I use the chain brake when starting a modern Stihl from cold. If you don't have it on, they scream to ridiculous RPM from stone cold - I don't like this at all. So my procedure is:

1) Brake on, full choke
2) Drop start until it coughs/fires
3) Choke off, throttle still open (position 1 on the control lever)
4) Drop start, as soon as the saw runs, release the throttle opening lever, chain brake off
5) Allow to warm up briefly
6) Cut wood.

The only saws I don't drop start from cold are the 880 and 090s/070s. Everything gets drop started from hot.

LMAO... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

After my most recent back injury... which just happened Saturday, and completely non-saw related... I might not be drop starting many saws period.

Or runnin' the V-8 next year... :cry:

My back is a mess...

Gary

Gary,

Sorry to hear that! :cry:

Even beer is no substitute for good health.

Uh oh! I think I stepped in it now.

Joat

[
QUOTE=rxe;799944]I use the chain brake when starting a modern Stihl from cold. If you don't have it on, they scream to ridiculous RPM from stone cold - I don't like this at all. So my procedure is:
QUOTE]

Your not quick enough to the throttle to unlock it. lol

I don't think free revving a 2 stroke with no load is nearly as bad for it as it tring to turn the locked clutch on start up. That is hard on the clutch and engine when it's cold.

Reving a cold engine with no load is not as bad for them as most people think. Some moden diesels will rev up to about 1000-1400 rpms when they fire up below 30 degrees. The damage is caused by loading a cold engine, before it has warmed to operating temp.

Oh yah, I Drop start always, without the chain brake on. Unless i'm in a tree. then i drop start with the brake on, but the saw is warn and just idles.

LMAO... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

After my most recent back injury... which just happened Saturday, and completely non-saw related... I might not be drop starting many saws period.

Or runnin' the V-8 next year... :cry:

My back is a mess...

Gary

Easy fix - Take 60 days off - beer -lot's of beer, sports (wide screen) and a lazyboy.

... I start the saw with my left hand and my right on the wrap bar. .....

That is the same as I do.

The chain brake is on when I feel like it, as when there are thick brush around etc, and when I rest the tip of the bar on something.....

Last edited:
Almost always lock between my knees, tip saw a little so it doesn't slide up and get me in the niblets, and pull away. I've even put the chain brake on once or twice since my safety class. I've just found this method easier on my body-nothing against drop starting when done by somebody who understands.

Once in a great while (very cold weather) I will put a saw on the ground but prefer not too.

The way I originally learned 20 + years ago was hold saw by rear handle with right hand, hold throttle open since choke lever is broke, and pull away with left hand, and "don't cut your leg, how in the hell will I explain that to your ma"

Hey, I'm at 100 posts-woo hoo!

Last edited:
I start the saw with my left hand and my right on the wrap bar.

That is the same as I do.

The chain brake is on when I feel like it, as when there are thick brush around etc, and when I rest the tip of the bar on something.....

+1, that's how ya do it.

ST, I even start my 029 that way. :cheers:

May your drop starts leave all appendages intact,

Joat

always drop start even the 090 with the 36" bar which only ever fires on the 15th pull :censored:
but then i wear full protection boots/trousers & helmet in the woods but not the yard. no piss taking for the safety gear but dont dare use the decomp button

I use the chain brake when starting a modern Stihl from cold. If you don't have it on, they scream to ridiculous RPM from stone cold - I don't like this at all. So my procedure is:

1) Brake on, full choke
2) Drop start until it coughs/fires
3) Choke off, throttle still open (position 1 on the control lever)
4) Drop start, as soon as the saw runs, release the throttle opening lever, chain brake off
5) Allow to warm up briefly
6) Cut wood.

The only saws I don't drop start from cold are the 880 and 090s/070s. Everything gets drop started from hot.

Good method and about the same as what I use.

I always wondered why the backhandle had such a big loop on it. Just thought lumberjacks all had big friggin hands!!!!

I'll do the little ones when they are warm. I haven't dropped the 372 yet, but I don't know it well enough yet, if that makes sense. The Super XL is the biggest "drop-saw" for me.

Mark

Yeah, I'm a supervisor and need to be a good example, so I either put the bar over a log and pull with my left hand or crotch start it if there isn't a log or stump around. I like the first method, avoids the whole screaming wide open vs. burning the clutch argument, my hand's on the throttle. Plus, you can get the same effect of a drop start by either pushing the powerhead down or away from you while you pull. The bar's also in a safe place where it can't hurt you either. Only downside is your weak hand is pulling. Still not a problem if you have a pair.

Never heard of somebody getting hurt from a drop start, so I can't really argue against it.

Well, it looks like the drop sawyers are well into the lead here.

Amusing that no one uses my girlfriend's method of letting me start ths saws for her. She is a lefty though, and that makes it harder.

Amusing that no one uses my girlfriend's method of letting me start ths saws for her. She is a lefty though, and that makes it harder.

It actually makes it easier, when you have severe Arthritis in the right hand, as I do.....:jawdrop: :greenchainsaw:

That is the reason that I allways drop-start, with the left hand on the pull cord.

Last edited:

On that note.....my dad recently had a nasty bought with Guillian Barres(sp?) syndrome and has yet to regain full strength. He is also a lefty and can flat out not start my 660 without the deco depressed. His low strength has yet to deter him from using it though!:)

Latest posts

Back