Drop this spar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeAce

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I started this Tulip yesterday. I got to thinking that I may not have to rig the log all the way to the ground. The patio/sidewalk is what I am worried about. I could save some long pieces of wood and use them on the other side just past the ivy to drop on. My worry is that the butt end will slide off the stump and be enough to at least break up some mortar joints. The SOB is pretty big. I was thinking also that taking my chances with the patio/side walk may be better than risking a piece of wood swinging just enough to ding up the gutter or the siding. the spar has a half decent lean over house so I think it is possible for this to happen even taking small pieces. i am thinking of getting her down to alittle above the lowest cut for the drop. Do you think laying out plywood , say...two layers with the edges over lapped would be worth while? I bet some old truck tires would soften things up to. Although I am fresh out of old tires. Thoughts? I will sent pictures from my phone.

I'd spend a little time building a bridge of logs parallel with the walkway. If it's risky swinging those logs in the air then a little carefull planning to lay it over might be a better bet. too bad you can't get a crane over there, the mills are paying pretty good for tulip atm, at least over by me..

Last edited:
Put a good sized log on either side of the walk. If you have room, leave that last leader on there when you drop it. It will do less ground damage that way. That is if you have room. A lot of times I will not even notch one like that. Just get a pull and lay it over so it doesn't come off the stump. Of course it is risky on larger trees... Especially Poplar that tends to want to split. I would just bridge either side of the walk and lay it over as easy as I can.

I'd spend a little time building a bridge of logs parallel with the walkway. If it's risky swinging those logs in the air then a little carefull planning to lay it over might be a better bet. too bad you can't get a crane over there, the mills are paying pretty good for tulip atm, at least over by me..

Do you mean putting the logs only on the side opposite the tree? Like on the ivy? There isnt much room at all between the base of the tree and the walk. as far as a crane goes, The drive way is to tight.

well, maybe there is JUST enough room to get a little some thin between the base and the walk. That would be a huge help.

Yeah it looks like it'd be hard to pull some Murphy magic on that one. Anything you put on the stump side looks like it will be driven right into the walk from sliding off the root flare.
Notch it low as possible and keep it from dropping off the cut as much as you can. Definitely a few layers of mats or plywood down with logs on the other side.

The suckiest part is that I most likely cant get back over to finish up until June 13. Fn rain. Was supposed to work on it tues and weds but tuesday was rain and they are calling for a soaker tomorrow. The HO is OK with it. They was happy we got a nice bite out of her. I had to be somewhere else today.

Do you mean putting the logs only on the side opposite the tree? Like on the ivy? There isnt much room at all between the base of the tree and the walk. as far as a crane goes, The drive way is to tight.

squeeze one just at the base of the stump.. got to lay logs on both sides of the walk so the weight is distibuted evenly on the ground on both sides of the walkway. cut the notch low so its already touching the log before it goes completely over and step back before it jumps back in your face. fun sh#t man, I love it..

Putting a piece at the base of the tree would work if it doesn't just roll off. I don't know much about tulip tree wood, but if you took some more off the top so it doesn't jump around when it hits, you might try putting a V notch face cut and do your back cut even where the V's connect. We call that the driveway cut, then slowly pull it over. On a lot of species of trees the holding wood will stretch and the trunk will stay on the stump. I would tie it to the stump also with a big bull rope and still have a piece at the base.
That spar would ruin that walk even if it rolled off a low stump.

I've never tried it but have you considered notching the root flare a bit so you can get a bigger chunk of wood on the spar side of the walkway? Even strap that chunk in place so it can't squirt out when you drop the spar onto it. Just thinking here.

I've never tried it but have you considered notching the root flare a bit so you can get a bigger chunk of wood on the spar side of the walkway? Even strap that chunk in place so it can't squirt out when you drop the spar onto it. Just thinking here.

That thought has crossed my mind.

What if.....I was thinking, If I took my small stumper and dug out a "pit" say..oh..10 inch deep between the walk and the house right in that ivy and then stood plenty of plywood on its side along the house and a few pieces on the walk just for the heck of it I bet I could drop em right into that LZ and they would not bounce or roll away. Groundies could either wrestle em out and on the dolly or just stand em up with a cant hook and rip em in half and def move em ok then. I could put the 32 inch bar on my 046 for alittle extra ease of making so many cuts on the spar. I am thinking cutting about 16 inch at a time here, not 5 feet. Its so crazy it just mite work.....

i think murph ing that tree is out of the question, its poplar so id think id drop catch as much of the trunk as you can. Sometimes you gota just man-up and do it. if you have a guy running the rope and two on the tag line it wont be that bad. Take small chunks, YOU AN DO IT!

the only other thing i can think of is lots of plywood and tires over the sidewalk but id still chunk it down quit a bit more to minimize the shock

Back