Dumb, Dumb, Dumb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I am infuriated with myself, as I almost lost my life yesterday. I was cutting some Elm that recently died from Dutch Elm Disease. 3 were quite close to each other. I cut one that was just moderately entangled with the other, and as it was falling, I followed it to the ground with my eyes. 1 second later, a 10" diameter branch nearly 12 feet long came down from the other tree from 20 feet in the air, and landed 3 feet from me. It would have killed me for sure had it hit me in the head. What a TERRIBLE mistake to make.

Thanks Much. The sad part is, I'm not a novice. Been sawing for over 25 yrs. which makes me even more mad.

Good to hear you did not get hit. Never stand at a stump, back away swift in a clear escape route and keep eyes out for anything! Many people meet their doom at the stump, especially loggers that are felling through thick canopy as; the standing trees always throw it back at the stump. Of course, a limb could snap and kill you getting into your truck in the mourning.

I am infuriated with myself, as I almost lost my life yesterday. I was cutting some Elm that recently died from Dutch Elm Disease. 3 were quite close to each other. I cut one that was just moderately entangled with the other, and as it was falling, I followed it to the ground with my eyes. 1 second later, a 10" diameter branch nearly 12 feet long came down from the other tree from 20 feet in the air, and landed 3 feet from me. It would have killed me for sure had it hit me in the head. What a TERRIBLE mistake to make.

Don't feel too bad Dale,

I just posted about this yesterday I think after seeing the pix of a crushed helmet over in chainsaws. Clearing some aspens for my Brother to put a cabin in and they were in tight with some spruce. the "widow" branch was hidden in the green or got snapped off as the tree fell by. It snicked off my head and left shoulder and put me into the dirt. Wasn't very big either, but was a huge wake-up call. Ropensaddle is absolutely right about getting out of dodge at the stump. That's just where i was when beaned.:cheers:

Zodiac said what I was thinking "widow". We call those "widow makers" here in Michigan but it's really all the same. Dead is dead!

Thanks Much. The sad part is, I'm not a novice. Been sawing for over 25 yrs. which makes me even more mad.

That's why it happened. Sometimes we ALL get complacent about this stuff and then get burned because of that.

It didn't kill ya' so I'm guessing it will be forever before you make that mistake again.

25 years ago a friend of mine and I were cutting the dead elm left in Northern Michigan (gone now..) and he kept watching the trees fall. I kept telling him NOT to look at the damn tree while it was going down but to get the hell out of the way and watch what it brings down with it.............

.............when I got him home from the hospital with 17 stitches in his head his wife looked at him, shrugged, and said; "at least it hit you in the head Brad, not much damage to be done there....."

I almost fell over laughing................GLAD you're OK though.

Not following proceedure

When things start to fall, what do you do next? Stand there??
You leave. Quickly. 45 deg angle from falling direction.

Sometimes if I am dropping tiny stuff, I only take a few steps.
But if there is any size to the thing, I am gone. :jawdrop:

-Pat

I'd certainly rather hear about it here , from you. Then to read about it in the mishaps, accidents and fatalitys forum. We've all had our "Zen moments" when all seemed to be going so well. That really was a good wake up call.

Thanks for the reminder !

Back