Dump Truck Question...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
theres a guy in the next county over has a big flatbed wrecker that he put the cab off an early 40's on and hit it with a custom paint job. that thing is gorgeous! about run off the road looking at it. maybe thats the point LOL
-Ralph

driving a wore out clunker through some of the upscale neighborhoods i work is an open invitation to being pulled over and harrassed by the police. i see it all the time. In 5 years i've never been stopped.

I have never been stopped in either of my two older fords and I drive the 70' daily into neighborhoods where the houses are over a mil each... I hate to soulnd like an ass but you wont win this topic with me:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Apples and oranges

I have never been stopped in either of my two older fords and I drive the 70' daily into neighborhoods where the houses are over a mil each... I hate to soulnd like an ass but you wont win this topic with me:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
People have a good idea what their expecting to pay for a load of firewood. Most don't have a clue what a stump removal job should cost. The point is nice truck and equipment looks "PROFESSIONAL" and thereby commands top dollar. I will give you an example, When Katrina winds removed half the shingles on my home our subdivision was flooded with roofing contractors. Several came by in old wore-out trucks with tar under their nails and a 3 day beard. They submitted a bid to me to re-roof my home. I also got a bid from a man that was clean and neat driving late model truck with a fully itemized bid sheet along with proof of insurance.His bid was $900 more . Call me stupid but he got the job along with many of my neighbors. Professional look = professional pay!

If a guy passed through those upscale neighborhoods in a truck like this he'd get pulled over by the cops?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1981...095333593QQcategoryZ39416QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I someone came to my house in a truck like this that was in good condition I would hire him just to see the truck again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1951...oryZ6173QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In Most of my jobs i'm dealing with the housewife with the husband at work. I can assure you she isn't interested in any "vintage" vehicle i drive up in. Hey, i love old vehicles too, but were not in a parade... this is bussiness!

Several came by in old wore-out trucks with tar under their nails and a 3 day beard. They submitted a bid to me to re-roof my home. I also got a bid from a man that was clean and neat driving late model truck with a fully itemized bid sheet along with proof of insurance.His bid was $900 more . Call me stupid but he got the job along with many of my neighbors. Professional look = professional pay!

You are missing something here. Read my lips! Old truck but well maintained and in good shape. Same for the guy driving the truck as well.

On a side note, I bet that grubby looking guy was so busy he didn't care whether he got your business or not!

You are missing something here. Read my lips! Old truck but well maintained and in good shape. Same for the guy driving the truck as well.

On a side note, I bet that grubby looking guy was so busy he didn't care whether he got your business or not![/QUOTEIf that was you in the old "well maintained " clunker that bid on roofing my home i apologize for any derogatory remarks. I really don't think i was talking about you. Just talking about my first impression i had regarding a prospective contractor.Don't take things so personal.

If that was you in the old "well maintained " clunker that bid on roofing my home i apologize for any derogatory remarks. I really don't think i was talking about you. Just talking about my first impression i had regarding a prospective contractor.Don't take things so personal.

Lol, it wasn't me. I'm in Virginia, and I'm not taking anything personally. It's just that people seem to think all old trucks are clunkers. My truck is 12 years old, and people comment all the time on how nice it is. Of course its not a work truck either, but I think folks can maintain their older trucks and keep them looking nice.

Great looking truck

Lol, it wasn't me. I'm in Virginia, and I'm not taking anything personally. It's just that people seem to think all old trucks are clunkers. My truck is 12 years old, and people comment all the time on how nice it is. Of course its not a work truck either, but I think folks can maintain their older trucks and keep them looking nice.
You have a great looking truck. I can assure you that the guy that showed up at my home was driving a "clunker". I wish i had thought to take a few digital pics. so i could share with everyone.

While having new equipment is nice. I think more respect is gained when someone shows up in an older piece of iron that still looks good.

If its paid for and still running, theres no reason to get rid of it. If its still making you money without costing you more than its making, no reason to get rid of it. JMO.

You have a great looking truck. I can assure you that the guy that showed up at my home was driving a "clunker". I wish i had thought to take a few digital pics. so i could share with everyone.

I know what you mean. I myself would probably hire someone with a decent looking rig over a heap. Now if I got 2 guys with decent trucks one old and one new other things would definitely come into play.

when i hire guys to do work for me i look at the vechile and if its real new i wont hire them to do the job cause i don't want to make his payments for him. id rather hire a guy with a older truck who has confidence in doing the job. i like to see older trucks doing the work and going down the road they dont make them today like they used too. i see tree companys in my area with 200k worth of equipment the owner has to be paying some healthy payment to the bank where me and my older trucks etc are pocketing the money.

when i hire guys to do work for me i look at the vechile and if its real new i wont hire them to do the job cause i don't want to make his payments for him. id rather hire a guy with a older truck who has confidence in doing the job. i like to see older trucks doing the work and going down the road they dont make them today like they used too. i see tree companys in my area with 200k worth of equipment the owner has to be paying some healthy payment to the bank where me and my older trucks etc are pocketing the money.

You ever thought that the guy with nice vehicle and payments that go along with it my be MORE motivated to work long and hard in order to pay his bills? The quickest way to make a man lazy with a don't care atitude is to have no financial obligations. I once owned an auto and truck dealership. All my new salesman were encouraged to buy a nice new house and car. I wanted them HUNGRY AND MOTIVATED!

You ever thought that the guy with nice vehicle and payments that go along with it my be MORE motivated to work long and hard in order to pay his bills? The quickest way to make a man lazy with a don't care atitude is to have no financial obligations. I once owned an auto and truck dealership. All my new salesman were encouraged to buy a nice new house and car. I wanted them HUNGRY AND MOTIVATED!

Some are motivated by different things. Im more motivated if I know the money Im earning is going into my pocket. Not having financial obligations leaves one open to work as much or as little as they like, rather than needing to work to pay the bills.

forgot something

By the way the guy with 200k worth of equipment is probably grossing at least 750k a year in bussiness. When you think about it thats not much equipment. you buy a loader,dump truck, chipper, chip truck, service truck and stump grinder and your there. You got to spend $ to make $.

I run an 81 chevy 1 ton that I picked up at an old farmers auction for $600. If I was a little sharper it would of been $500. The advantage I got is Iam a licensed mechanic as well as a kerf hound. Not that you need a lot of mechanical inclination to work on those old girls. It needed Front brakes and an E-cable for safty. I,ve been running that truck for a year and a half now.
The first job I took it to it was paid for. As for cost of fuel, It's all local driving...don't worry about it. I would not trade that truck for a new one at half price.

If you've got the money go ahead and buy a newer truck. Keep that older one for a backup. I ran a 76 3500 when i first started out, and still use it sometimes.

Crappy looking old equipment + crappy personal appearance = conveyance of poor professionalism = commands lower $

Good looking new equipment + crappy personal appearance = conveyance of good or poor professionalism depending on who your client is = commands moderate $

Crappy looking old equipment + clean personal appearance = conveyance of both poor or good professionalism depending on who your client is = commands moderate $

Good looking new equipment + clean personal appearance = conveyance of good professionalism = commands top $

Good looking old equipment + clean personal appearance = conveyance of good professinalism = commands moderate to possibly top $ but you may inevitably lose some work to the type of clients who get hung up on material things.

If you're going to run older equipment, the key is to keep that equipment it tip-top shape and looking like it's new even if it's 10, 20 or even 40 years old.

These first two photos are before and after shots of my 1990 F350 when I first bought it from another tree service that was going out of business. I spent a weekend and $500 fixing it up and giving it a paint job. The next two pics are of my 1995 F700 after I gave it the same kind of treatment. Before, I fixed it up, the chassis looked just as bad as the pickup and the cab guard was all bent up and rusty. The chipper in the third photo was given some much needed tlc and was repainted also. I recently sold it for $3000 more than I paid for it after having used it for 2 years. The last pic is of the 1983 F800 Crane/dump truck that I also recently sold. After fixing an oil leak, replacing a broken grill and fender and giving it a new paint job, I ran it hard for 3 years and then sold it for $4000 more than I paid for it. It was 24 years old, ran great and didn't have a scratch on it. (FYI- I sold the crane and chipper because I decided to scale down, NOT because I felt I needed to replace them with new).

Would anyone like to tell me that these pieces of equipment - 7, 12, 17, and 24 years old look unprofessional just because they're not new?

1- No warranty - right, so if the alternator goes out, you pay $100 and take 30 minutes and replace it. with a new one, its going to sit in the shop parking lot a minimum of 1 day before it even goes in. why do they even have warranty? because new stuff breaks too. at least on an older truck, most issues are sorted out long ago.

2- Already 16+ years old -you can't legally touch a woman until she's 18, so whats your point? see #1, #4 and #5

3- If you look at a new or newer truck they are actually CHEAPER to run then an older truck.... -sometimes yes, sometimes no. lets call this one even, ok?

4- Not going to last much longer- says who? even throwing on a new set of fenders and doors and a paint job, and go thru the driveline, he's still much cheaper than a new truck. heck a new motor can be had (with a warranty) for the cost of a payment, 2 or 3 at the most. you're still 57 payments ahead at 60 months. not counting insurance costs of a new model.

5- I doubt its dependability- I don't. older trucks were built right and heavier duty, and built simpler. they actually last forever with a little maintence. I'd like to know why you automatically assume that an older vehicle is junk, or waiting to break down. Lots of early 80s chippers still grinding brush while 06 vermeers are sitting in the shop. there are things called parts stores, and a thing called maintence. you do the same to a new truck as you do an older one. see #6

6- I don't like running anything older then 6 years old- thats your personal choice. sounds like you just drive them until they fall apart so then yes, you will need a new one every 5-6 years. like your saw, maintain it and it will last a lifetime. try doing a little maintence on it and you will likely find that after its paid off, you still have a great truck without the big payment and actually make money. then you can take care of the other commitments you enter into instead of stringing them along and finally blowing them off. :)

7- Eye appeal..what do people think when they see that truck??- around here? they say COOL! check out that old truck! man, that thing runs sweet! boy, they sure don't make them like they used to!! no one cares what you are driving, and if they actually do, you probably dont want to work for them anyway. Most only care that your equipment looks good and functions good, and you get the job done. I have a few clients that have a million in just an extra lot they bought to keep neighbors away. funny that they keep an older truck around too, they tell me they hate to get rid of it because its never let them down, its still a good old truck. but hey, keep staying in debt for a new model if you want to. finance companies love guys like you.

-Ralph

Hey I couldn't agree with you more also a well taken care of antique appreciates, I have never seen a new truck do that. However it helps if you are mechanically inclined to help cut labor costs where you can . I can see that if you don't know a spark plug from an injector you may go new, my personal truck is newer; but my equipment older well maintained, paid for equipment.
A good paint job covers a whole lot and I prefer diesels for longevity but a good gas burner is ok too:clap:

In the past,I would use a truck,then fix it up and sell it for a nicer one when I was ready..I haven't bought any trucks in a while,but I think I'm gonna quit selling them unless absolutely necessary.

Latest posts

Back