e-Bay safety...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeSwede

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just won the bidding-process on an Alpine Magnum on e-bay, I was the only one bidding..., don´t know why....? Have I missed something....? The price was 3000$ for a one year old Alpine with the Husky3120-head, I thought that was reasonable.

My question is what payment-methods do you recommend?
And is it true that e-Bay protects you if you pay for something and then not get it?

The seller´s user-name was turk6222 and it seemed to be the first thing he was selling on e-Bay, it all seems to be OK- just wanna know if there are any beginner-mistakes to avoid when paying....

Thanks

Johan

I just won the bidding-process on an Alpine Magnum on e-bay, I was the only one bidding..., don´t know why....? Have I missed something....? The price was 3000$ for a one year old Alpine with the Husky3120-head, I thought that was reasonable.

My question is what payment-methods do you recommend?
And is it true that e-Bay protects you if you pay for something and then not get it?

The seller´s user-name was turk6222 and it seemed to be the first thing he was selling on e-Bay, it all seems to be OK- just wanna know if there are any beginner-mistakes to avoid when paying....

Thanks

Johan
For $3,000 with an unknown user, you might want to use an escrow service.

Hello. From Ohio.

Ok, well first of all you bid in an auction that stated that the buyer will only ship to the United States. Did you have Prior communication with the seller that stated he would ship to Sweden?

There are a few things that make me think scam here.
The guy is absolutely new. The Item is extremely expensive. And I did a search with the guys user name, and a guy with the name turk6322 came up with (-1) feedback and the guys feed back said this.... "BUYER IS A SCAM! HAD TO CALL POLICE AND FILE CHARGES! DO NOT TRUST!"

Not to say that if this is the same seller that he has turned over a new leaf and actually does have what he is selling and is willing to ship it out of the country.

You Actually might be lucky and have the deal work out fine, but are you in a position to risk it?

eBay does offer fraud protection for up to $20,000. Not sure if people out of Country qualify, or if people who were not elegible to participate in an auction are eligeble.

Also he wants cashiers check or money order only. So you are not able by his listing demands to pay any other way.

I buy and sell on eBay all the time. When I see a buyer or seller with no feedback, the hairs on my neck stand on end. Especially when there is a ton of money involved.

If its worth it to you, pay the guy and see what happens. You might be surprised.

Also you could ask to have the unit picked up by a AS member. tell the guy you will pay him cash when you pick it up. If this is a problem then you will know right away, everyone loves cash.

Scott

Last edited:
So what´s an escrow-service then?

An escrow service is a in-between company that makes sure neither side gets screwed. You send payment to the escrow service, they clear the check to assure your payment is real. The escrow service lets the seller know that the payment is received. For the buyers protection, once you receive the item, you let the escrow service know, and they release the payment to the seller.

Anyhow, this looks awfully fishy to me. I'd proceed with the utmost caution.

BTW, the auction did state "Ships to United States" so you're off to a rough start to begin with. Sounds like having an AS member go get it is going to be almost mandatory.

Another thing you can do is request that he take a picture of the saw with a specific item in the picture. This will at least insure that he has the item in the picture. You might request something like "take a picture of the saw with a 2 liter Pepsi bottle beside it."

The chances of him producing such a picture without actually having the item are slim to none.

Another thing you can do is request that he take a picture of the saw with a specific item in the picture. This will at least insure that he has the item in the picture. You might request something like "take a picture of the saw with a 2 liter Pepsi bottle beside it."

The chances of him producing such a picture without actually having the item are slim to none.

Great idea!!!! I would rep you but i am out!

Thanks all for helpful tips!!!!! Maybe I was a little too quick with the bidding, it was just that I´d been looking for that kind of grinder for a while, and it´s half the price compared to buying a new one from England.

The shipping to Sweden won´t be a problem if it just gets to a "Swedish" company in Arizona who ships containers to Sweden every week.

Johan

Last edited:
So I guess the next thing to do is finding a beefy and reliable AS-member who lives in New Castle, PA and has a job on the side as bountyhunter!!!!!!!

Just kidding, but this just started to feel a little tricky, well you always learn something from everything....

What happens if I decide to not complete this auction, do I only get a negative feedback ( bad enough ) ?

Is PayPal a bulletproof system?

Thanks

Johan

Supposedly the bid is a legally binding contract, but I doubt he's going to go to Sweden to prosecute you if you back out, and I doubt he can get jurisdiction over you in this country. So yeah, bad feedback is likely and a non paying bidder alert. I think probably the worst that can happen is losing your ebay account.

However, you can probably get the bid canceled by saying that you didn't notice he wouldn't ship to Sweden. He may even let you out of it.

So I guess the next thing to do is finding a beefy and reliable AS-member who lives in New Castle, PA and has a job on the side as bountyhunter!!!!!!!

Just kidding, but this just started to feel a little tricky, well you always learn something from everything....

What happens if I decide to not complete this auction, do I only get a negative feedback ( bad enough ) ?

Is PayPal a bulletproof system?

Thanks

Johan

Pay pal is good. you have 30 days to file a complaint.

I would not bail on the guy. Do everything in your power to complete the transaction. Times are very hard in that area. If the guy is legitimate, you would be doing him great harm. If he is unwilling to have the buyer pick the unit up then you will know. Start looking for an AS member close to newcastle.

eBay and Pay pal is only as good as its members. Almost nothing is Bullet Proof.

Scott.

Make sure he uses a shipper that can provide a tracking number from start to finish like FedEx or maybe DHL.

From New Castle General Area

Hi there.
There are two different New Castle, PA's. One is in Western PA, the other is in Eastern,PA. From the area code, it looks like it is the one in Western PA. Anyway, I live about an hour away from there. I don't really have time to make the drive, but I would like to offer some assistance if I can somehow. PM me if I can help.
Brian

Paying with a money order is as good as sending cash.. DON'T.

Paypal will only protect you IF there is something misdescribed or fraudulent, AND if they can get the money out of the sellers account... if they can't, you're on your own. They are not an insurance company.

Unless you can get someone local to look at it, I'd walk away from it...

BTW.. look into shipping a unit internationally that has had gasoline in it...

Last edited:
Back