e-clip falls of

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate cutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm working on my uncle's ms 250 and the e-clip keeps slipping off. How soft are e-clips supposed to be? The clip is form a site sponsor not box store. Just seems to open as it goes on and not close rite. Yes it is in the grove. thanks in advance

E clips are tough and supposed to be pretty hard. I've always had to pry mine off and push / tap pretty good to get them back on. Sounds like you have one that's either a wrong size or out of spec. I'd get a new one.

E clips are tough and supposed to be pretty hard. I've always had to pry mine off and push / tap pretty good to get them back on. Sounds like you have one that's either a wrong size or out of spec. I'd get a new one.

Yep. Get a new eclip from a Stihl dealer. less than a buck, and can save a lot of potential damage!

Tough to get on but I could pull it off with a fingernail. Yes it was in the grove and the spur spins smoothly. I even fired up the saw.

I will try a new one. Never had a problem with the ones at a dealer. thanks all

Last edited:
If you can pull it off with your fingernail, there is obviously something wrong. Assuming you haven't modified the crankshaft it must be the clip, eh? Don't run it until you replace it.

My dealer sold me some crap e clip/ washer combos. The reason I go to the deale
PHP:
r is to get STIHL components. Yeah, they cost more, but quality always does. Anyway, they sold me sh*t. It wasn't the e clip; it was poor tolerances with the washer. E clips are generally pretty good steel for their job, but these half assed washers caused the e clip to distort during installation and ultimately failure (to quote Ron White, " it fell the ##### off!"). I now have the had mechanic make sure that I can buy Stihl parts. I love that guy :)

Latest posts

Back