Eastern PA GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, We pack the old man's Trail blazer with 16 saws, not just little saws, 3 with 50"+ bars and a hot saw.

Jack, I am counting on you to provide additional pics of the saws, etc!

Thanks for the complements on our arsenal of Homelites! We love them, I hope it helps bring them a little more respect!

Jonathan

Last edited:
Nice meeting a great bunch of guys. I finally got home at 7:30. Lots of great saws,those Homies brought back memories. I will be hosting a GTG in Western Pa in March,all are welcome. I know some of you will not want to travel 350 miles,but I promise it will be worth it. Thanks John,great job,I hit a couple of yard sales and made out pretty good. Also visited my boy,his wife and 3 grandchildren on Saturday. Had a good trip home except for about 100 miles of rain.Thanks again, Dave.

Got a few photos today.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

First thing I gotta say is that Jack's camera is more impressive than any of the saws were. Sensational detail in those pics.

Heck of a day we just had. Met lot's of cool folks, that I look forward to GTG-ing with again in the future.

John; it was very nice of you to open your home to all of us and make sure that we had a good lunch and all. First class job.

I can't possibly remember to mention everyone, but what a great group of people, huh?

Volks obviously gets the Engineering Award for fitting that 038 cylinder on the 034 frame. My first reaction is "You can't do that", but I cut with it, so I guess you can. :laugh:

Jonathan: Thanks for making me run that big Homelite 2100. Not torque, but TORQUE! Lot's of it. How many saw can you fit in the back of a Trailblazer? 16 and counting.

Albert, great to meet you and run our 70E's together. Classic Jonnys in stereo! If your daughter ever wants the "pretty blue saw", it's all her's. What a sweetheart. Stay in touch, and if you ever need any old Jonny parts or whatever, let me know. And that ported MS260 you did had quite a snort to it.

Pete: Yeah, I know. Call Tilton and find out when the 2172WH is going to be available. I'm on it on the morning.

Glad you guys liked the 560XP, and I'll be passing on your opinions to the Husky folks. Might have to up my order some more. Same for the 372XT, which I originally thought wasn't such a good idea. Geez, I'm glad they didn't listen to me on that one.

Overall, the variety of saws at this GTG was quite a bit better than average. Plenty of Stihls which don't seem to be as plentiful up here in the North Country. That 037 or whatever we're calling it was just great. A real strong 038, a MS441 at it's peak, an 064 with a 660 jug; real good stuff. A Husky 2101, a Dolmar 112, some half blue/half orange Dolkitas. And "The history of Homelite" spilling out of the back of that Trailblazer.

See ya next time.............

Okay Volksman? I'm dying to hear about the saw!! You know the one.

the 037:

well, it runs. it idles and blips great.
but it will not rev over 12400 rpm no-load. no amount of leaning with the H screw would turn it up. :confused:
mind you, it cuts o.k. but not nearly as strong as it should given its 72cc displacement. my first thought was that the case was so small that it was limiting the amount of intake charge. albert thinks that the stock 036 carb venturi may be a huge bottleneck and i am inclined to agree (i will mic it and an 038m carb when i get home).
another theory i am working on is the 'air cusion' theory. my thoughts are that the intake and transfer timing have been altered greatly. i think that when the piston drops in to the case and for a portion of the bottom of the stroke the charge is completely trapped in the case. i'm thinking that it is actually compressing the trapped charge a bit before the piston rises again and this compression is what is limiting my no-load rpm.
some time after i get home i will investigate this phenomenon more.

i assembled the p/c without porting or major alterations as a 'proof of concept' first simply to see if the 037 could be done. now that i have the proof of concept i can justify opening it back up and doing all the fine measuring required to tweak the port timing and start making POWER.

stay tuned for a full writeup with dozens of detailed pics,from concept to the gtg, in the next few days. the later tweaking will be added to the thread as time permits.

to all:
the 037 would not be possible without parrisw's machining skills!!!

I ran it.
It was lightweight and fast. And it was a Stihl!
Thats as far as I can go.

Arrrrrr. I've actually known about the saw for a long time. Thanks though.

the 037:

well, it runs. it idles and blips great.
but it will not rev over 12400 rpm no-load. no amount of leaning with the H screw would turn it up. :confused:
mind you, it cuts o.k. but not nearly as strong as it should given its 72cc displacement. my first thought was that the case was so small that it was limiting the amount of intake charge. albert thinks that the stock 036 carb venturi may be a huge bottleneck and i am inclined to agree (i will mic it and an 038m carb when i get home).
another theory i am working on is the 'air cusion' theory. my thoughts are that the intake and transfer timing have been altered greatly. i think that when the piston drops in to the case and for a portion of the bottom of the stroke the charge is completely trapped in the case. i'm thinking that it is actually compressing the trapped charge a bit before the piston rises again and this compression is what is limiting my no-load rpm.
some time after i get home i will investigate this phenomenon more.

i assembled the p/c without porting or major alterations as a 'proof of concept' first simply to see if the 037 could be done. now that i have the proof of concept i can justify opening it back up and doing all the fine measuring required to tweak the port timing and start making POWER.

stay tuned for a full writeup with dozens of detailed pics,from concept to the gtg, in the next few days. the later tweaking will be added to the thread as time permits.

to all:
the 037 would not be possible without parrisw's machining skills!!!

Thanks Volks. That's really great that it worked out, I'm real happy for ya, and glad it held together. Now my fingers can finally come uncrossed that my pieces held together. Can't wait to see more.

Its got me thinking of a Hybrid saw as well, that I'd like to try, someone else's idea, but I think I can make it happen a little better though. And its a Husky.

Will

..... Same for the 372XT, which I originally thought wasn't such a good idea. Geez, I'm glad they didn't listen to me on that one.

As you surely know, I shared the your original thoughts about that idea - but I have been wrong before.....:)

By now, the question may be how long the 576xp is going to be with us, considering how good the 372XT turned out to be! :jawdrop:

As you surely know, I shared the your original thoughts about that idea - but I have been wrong before.....:)

By now, the question may be how long the 576xp is going to be with us, considering how good the 372XT turned out to be! :jawdrop:

troll,
We thought about you when Spike let us run the 560. It was lights out. if felt like a 346 with a 372 slug on it. It rips, and weighs and looks about the size of a 346 which we put side by side because we were troubled about the power it was making.

Alberts ported 260 was a close second for me when it comes to "holy cr@p" that thing rips. Not bad for a 20 something y/o chassis and motor design.

of course the old homey's stole the show. They weren't so much cutting wood, they were assaulting it. Very interesting comparisons between the tourque display of pure displacement and the speed display of technology.

Angelo- I got your hoodie safe and sound. PM me your address and I can ship it out to you. Also I found a pair of leather Mechanix Wear gloves. Not sure who they belonged to. Sorry I didn't post earlier, but I've been busy with those desserts and searching craigslist for old homelites. :givebeer:

Funny thing is I found the gloves and hoodie right away and brought them inside, but I left an 064 with a 32 on it outside all night to get rained on. LOL

Angelo- I got your hoodie safe and sound. PM me your address and I can ship it out to you. Also I found a pair of leather Mechanix Wear gloves. Not sure who they belonged to. Sorry I didn't post earlier, but I've been busy with those desserts and searching craigslist for old homelites. :givebeer:

Keep the hoodie safe, It'll give me an excuse to take the Dyna out for a ride and pick it up. You might have to ride some with me on the 3 armed Sporty death machine though...:dizzy:

A

10-4 bro. Nothin cooler than jockey shiftin gears on a HD. Well, until you hit a pothole mid-shift....in a turn.

Back