Easy to start saw for the wife

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ms250 is a heavy saw imo for the power. Search on here for the Dolmar PS420, they are one of the easiest starting saws ever made and act like a bigger powered saw. Other than that then the obvious 346xp Husky is a good light weight saw. The ms211 has been getting brilliant reviews on here also. Good luck!
I agree, Dolmar PS420 is great, but I prefer the Dolmar PS401, much less weight. Good strong construction. Both are Pro style construction. Again, 401 is much lighter and has "Happy Start" :)

cant speak for any other saws but my 345e with the starter assist, decomp valve, and primer bulb is a joke to start. i rarely use the decomp valve (or bulb) but they definitely help.

I agree, Dolmar PS420 is great, but I prefer the Dolmar PS401, much less weight. Good strong construction. Both are Pro style construction. Again, 401 is much lighter and has "Happy Start" :)

I cant comment on either saw really, just know that the 420 has had great reviews on this site.

Easy to start saw for the wife - Since the Stihl 180 is going to be out for a while inned to get something to replace her with.

Her? As in wife?

and
Like said, take your wife to a saw shop.

Well I don't think you are going to be able to get an easy to start saw for your wife. Most of the Stihl dealers I know of wouldn't trade a saw for a wife. :)

But seriously - the 180 works, does SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED (SWMBO) want a more powerful saw? Maybe another 180 would do just fine. Then you have commonality of parts. You could get different length bars.

/edit - just read your thread on the milling forum. Definitely move up to a 60cc class saw to mill with if she can handle it.

Last edited:
Her? As in wife?

and

Well I don't think you are going to be able to get an easy to start saw for your wife. Most of the Stihl dealers I know of wouldn't trade a saw for a wife. :)

But seriously - the 180 works, does SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED (SWMBO) want a more powerful saw? Maybe another 180 would do just fine. Then you have commonality of parts. You could get different length bars.
If have a SWMBO in real, better to take any saw in trade, even straight gas, broken is better than that :)

The best thing to do is take your wife to several saw shops that sell different brands. Let her pick up, compare and make the decision on her on. If she had a 180 the MS211 would be a good choice. There again, if she picks a MS441 or a 575 she has no one to blame. Been there done that, my wife bought an 025 and ended up giving it to my son.

Well... Considering you wife likes and uses chainsaws.. your WAY farther ahead than me. I'm still trying to teach my wife what a chainsaw is and why I have to have so many of em, that task is hard enough!

The Dolmar 5105 has the easy start, and is a piece of cake to pull. Now with 4 hp behind you and only 11 pounds, that saw can work.

Easy start eh?

Buy her an electric deal, they don't make one that starts easier.

Hey guys, thanks for all the input but don't let the wife hear that I tried to trade her in :clap:
Seriously though, I feel lucky, she is a real tomboy and loves the outdoors and all that goes with it. My neighbor just asked me how I get her to work out in the woods, he can't get his to even mow the lawn.

She went to a stihl dealer this afternoon and tried out the MS 260 - no go - she couldn't start it until after it was warmed up. She also looked at the MS 250 C and she likes it. There are several on e-bay right now. She is already looking to put in a bid. Then we'll have to convert it to 3/8 rim and I get to repair the 180.

She went to a stihl dealer this afternoon and tried out the MS 260 - no go - she couldn't start it until after it was warmed up. She also looked at the MS 250 C and she likes it. There are several on e-bay right now. She is already looking to put in a bid.

so you used the dealer and plan on buying online? :laugh:

just get the new stihl ms291 it has tool less chain tension, easy to start feature and is big enough for most jobs, forgot to mention it has the secondary braking system. :hmm3grin2orange:

just get the new stihl ms291 it has tool less chain tension, easy to start feature and is big enough for most jobs, forgot to mention it has the secondary braking system. :hmm3grin2orange:

Do you mean the MS 261 that just came out? Can't afford it until they show up used.

Do you mean the MS 261 that just came out? Can't afford it until they show up used.

I believe the MS291 is available in Europe now. Stihl shows it online for them, anyway. I have a feeling the US MS290 will be one of the last saws to hang on before going strato, since it's their number 1 seller.

Last edited:
MS 210c MS211c both light and start with hardly any effort.

Back