Easy to start saw for the wife

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Dolmar 5105 has the easy start, and is a piece of cake to pull. Now with 4 hp behind you and only 11 pounds, that saw can work.

Where did you get those "specs" from? They are quite "optimistic", even more so than the ones published by Dolmar.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
A grandma here runs a Stihl 360. I run a 440. Another younger woman runs a 460. We can start them easily because they have a decomp valve. We like the power because we don't have to take as long to cut stuff up. We have all had to use them cutting over our heads and I do mean lifting the saw and limbing. Two of us had to do that as part of our bucking recertification. Questions? :confused:

I agree, Dolmar PS420 is great, but I prefer the Dolmar PS401, much less weight. Good strong construction. Both are Pro style construction. Again, 401 is much lighter and has "Happy Start" :)

But the 401 is discontinued. New ones may still floating around however. The 420 is strong! And looks good too!

A grandma here runs a Stihl 360. I run a 440. Another younger woman runs a 460. We can start them easily because they have a decomp valve. We like the power because we don't have to take as long to cut stuff up. We have all had to use them cutting over our heads and I do mean lifting the saw and limbing. Two of us had to do that as part of our bucking recertification. Questions? :confused:

That is Soooooo Cool...
Gals that run big saws and get big work done...
Mrs. Bounty Hunter Loooooooves her 440 w/BB kit...who could blame her, it's a whole lot of power in a nice, balanced, complete package.
She can start it herself...it has a decomp...but she doesn't always use it. She can start the 044 too, and it has no decomp.
I haven't let her try to start the 880 tho...but I bet she could...Any gal that can throw our 19 year old son accross the room shouldn't have any problem with that...:cheers:

cant speak for any other saws but my 345e with the starter assist, decomp valve, and primer bulb is a joke to start. i rarely use the decomp valve (or bulb) but they definitely help.

Assuming you mean easy I agree. Mine does not have a starter assist? but the primer bulb is quite nice in that it cuts down the number of pulls to start. I do use the decomp though. The lighter saws need decomp more than a heavy saw. Less inertial mass to hold it still when pulling.

If I think of it a bit better, I don`t see why a lady should have a harder time starting a saw; therefore she should get the saw she likes and start it just the same.

I don't think it's so much that they are female but the size matters some. My wife is a lightweight and hates it. It causes her no end of frustration.

I bought a nice clean 250C-B from a guy here yesterday. Do you think the Easy2Start assemby from the 180 C-BE would fit on a 250C-B?
There is one for sale on E-bay that claims to fit 180 and 250 but when I looked the parts numbers up they are quite different and the rope diameter is also.
STIHL Chainsaw Easy2start Recoil Starter Add-on - eBay (item 220723697337 end time Jan-18-11 06:03:08 PST)

If that works I could just strip the 180 and put it on the 250.

Back