Easy to start saw for the wife

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phred45

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Since the Stihl 180 is going to be out for a while inned to get something to replace her with. Are there any chainsaws that are fairly easy to start but still have enough cc to do some real work? My wife fells ERC and cleans them and uses the log wizard to debark. The 180 ran and cut really well with a more agressive chain VXL.

Since the Stihl 180 is going to be out for a while inned to get something to replace her with. Are there any chainsaws that are fairly easy to start but still have enough cc to do some real work? My wife fells ERC and cleans them and uses the log wizard to debark. The 180 ran and cut really well with a more agressive chain VXL.

Has she ever tried a Stihl with "Easy Start" or a saw with De-comp like MS260?

I would take her to a dealer and ask them to let her try to start a few saws.

TT

It looks like something odd happened when you made the post - it is hard to understand what you wrote.

What does it mean that the "180 is going to be out for a while"? :confused:

Although a self professed stihl head, I would look at the line of efco saws sold by Baileys, a site sponsor, they are a fantastic saw, five year warranty, easy to start, excellent performing saw. If nothing there that meets your needs go look at the Stihl 211, it gets great reviews on here.

Try a Dolmar 420. It has an excellent easy start design and is very strong runner for its size. Pro saw build too!!

i believe he is talking about his MS180 that his wife was using. he was talking about how he messed up the 180's piston in another thread so looks like he needs a replacement

i believe he is talking about his MS180 that his wife was using. he was talking about how he messed up the 180's piston in another thread so looks like he needs a replacement

I understand more after looking at the other thread, but still think that something odd happened with the first post here. There has been some oddities after the site was changed. ;)

My remaining question is if he is looking for a direct replacement, or for a more capable easy to start saw.

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I butchered my wife's Ms 180 and want to replace it for her with a stronger but still easy to start saw. Another consideration is the overall weight of the saw. If it gets too heavy for her then more power won't help because she can't run it long enough. The 180 will get repaired eventually but it needs parts and it will take time.
I am looking at the MS 250 and Efco 152 on Ebay. What do you think?

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I butchered my wife's Ms 180 and want to replace it for her with a stronger but still easy to start saw. Another consideration is the overall weight of the saw. If it gets too heavy for her then more power won't help because she can't run it long enough. The 180 will get repaired eventually but it needs parts and it will take time.
I am looking at the MS 250 and Efco 152 on Ebay. What do you think?

I think MS250 can be had with "Easy Start"
Plus your 180 bar will fit the 250..........you do have to drill the bar for log wizard correct?

TT

Plus your 180 bar will fit the 250..........you do have to drill the bar for log wizard correct?

TT

Right!!! Didn't think of that. She has several bars for the 180 so that would save some money;)

Right!!! Didn't think of that. She has several bars for the 180 so that would save some money;)

Are you running .043 or .050 gauge chain on the 180?

If .043 you may have a problem with 250 breaking .043 gauge chains.

I use .050 on my 180

TT

The ms250 is a heavy saw imo for the power. Search on here for the Dolmar PS420, they are one of the easiest starting saws ever made and act like a bigger powered saw. Other than that then the obvious 346xp Husky is a good light weight saw. The ms211 has been getting brilliant reviews on here also. Good luck!

TT

Yes - the question is if the weight increase is acceptable to her......

The Husky 440e is another option, and a lighter one.

another option, Redmax GS400

They can be had for < $200 delivered in US from E-Bay vendors, supposedly have
a vertical split pro style crankcase.

Husqvarna 340.

Very easy to start and work with. Light and easy to run for a few hours at a time. Good for felling smaller trees, and cutting firewood. I have one with a 16" bar and it's never giving me any problems, and I bought it new in 2001 and it's cut a ton of hard-wood.

my wife has the echo cs-310. It is easy for her to start and when she gets it started she won't shut the thing off to take a break:D:D

Husqvarna 440E easy start?

I have a 435, basically same saw as 440 & I ordered and installed an E-type
starter assembly and left the lateral chain adjust as is. It is harder to start
than the 55, but runs great once started; light & nimble saw for smaller wood.
(40.9 cc)

Latest posts

Back