ebay buys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ebay is a risk and reward business, The rewards when everything goes well is great for the buyer. The risks come in when everything does not go great. If you get upset at playing the stock market. Dont play it. If you get upset when the item was described as a 7 a shows up a 3. Dont buy on ebay. Same holds true for sellers. You will loose on a few items here and their, But overall you get the most money on the bay. If you cant deal with a few lying buyers. Dont sell on the bay. Put it in the garage sale for pennies on the dollar. That way there is no complaining.

I will say that my good deals outweigh my bad ones and I don't really remember ever feeling completely screwed.

PS:
These threads usually go bad after folks start mentioning sellers names and they really go bad when that mentioned person happens to be a member here............

Yea I have a few saws I bought on ebay that were suppose to be runners and compression down in the 80's. I will say though I have not run into a seller yet that was not willing to work out the problem with me as long as I was being reasonable and not coming off like a total jerk. In most instances I do not believe they checked them that close and just assumed certain things about what they were selling. Besides as a buyer you have so many recourses that you can take against a seller. So I use ebay all the time but I do check the feedbacks.

I will say that my good deals outweigh my bad ones and I don't really remember ever feeling completely screwed.

PS:
These threads usually go bad after folks start mentioning sellers names and they really go bad when that mentioned person happens to be a member here............

+1

Keep to the 'for parts or not working' catagory and a limit on cost plus shipping not to exceed XXX dollars. When you get burned it won't be severe.

Biggest problem is sellers who don't know squat about what they are selling.

I.B.T.L. (in before the lock)

+1

Keep to the 'for parts or not working' catagory and a limit on cost plus shipping not to exceed XXX dollars. When you get burned it won't be severe.

Biggest problem is sellers who don't know squat about what they are selling.

I.B.T.L. (in before the lock)
I agree about the don't know squat,,,,,but it also works the other way to when people buy saws that don't know squat.

hello
Purchased over half a dozen saws through Ebay. what i have found is:
1. the more time invested in reviewing ad (reading) & asking questions = less surprises.
2. never really had a problem with something being seriously misrepresented.
Saw are difficult to assess by novice sellers- IE yes saw runs, but has 140 psi, so details like compression may only be clarifed once buyer recives.
After many,many Ebay deals and in working thru the maybe 4-5 issues I come across in 10 years, i would say 99% of sellers are willing to be reasonable and work thru any realized issues or problems.
Ebay has changed over the years, but some great deals can still be had.
Best deal I've come across was a dolmar 420 dont think it ever saw wood and had minimal run time. I based this on the fact the saw was in mint condition and the muffler was all shiny and just started to tarnish in the first 10 hours i operated it, cat muffler so once used the original golden hue darkens. pickec that one up for maybe a third of the original cost.
my sucess with deals is also a result of:
find the right deal and have a set max price, If the price goes higher than your predetermined price- wait for the next deal. dont be in a rush, dont assume.
use the ebay tools- research historic selling prices over 6 months, then you can spot a real deal easily.
for me Ebay offers the ability to get parts and saws not avaible locally, and some real nice gems can be had.
Best of luck and just remember if your outbid on a nice saw, by what looks like a canuck that really wants it, then maybe wait for the next deal- lol

Last edited:
I've bought and sold a lot of saws on eBay. But, most of the saws I buy are broke which was why I was buying them to start with.

The guys I avoid are the ones with multi thousand sales who expect a few negatives here and there but have so many sales they don't care.

You find somebody with a few hundred sales and 100% feedback you can bet they want to keep it.

i have had good luck on there,, especially when i got an almost brand new 372xp for 225.00:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

I've never really been burned on saws or parts. I was burned on other things a couple of times.
My best deal so far was a good running Shindaiwa 488 I got for $68.
I've had a couple of transactions that needed to be worked out to a mutual satisfaction, but so far most of the sellers seem to be reasonable folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've bought and sold a lot of saws on eBay. But, most of the saws I buy are broke which was why I was buying them to start with.

The guys I avoid are the ones with multi thousand sales who expect a few negatives here and there but have so many sales they don't care.

You find somebody with a few hundred sales and 100% feedback you can bet they want to keep it.

Very very true right there, I am def one of those people. I cant see screwing someone over, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. But that's me.

I've had great luck buying saws on ebay.
New 395xp for $850.00
New 372xp for $675.00
New 372xpw for $740.00
New 390xp for $815.00
Used 262xp's that run great.
141 that runs great.
242xp that ran great, just didn't live up to the hype on this forum.
246 that ran great.
That's all the saws I've bought on ebay so far. Bought alot of new bars and chains for a fraction of what a dealer wants.

Sold a 346xp, 242xp, 246 and a Homelite Super XL Auto. People paid fast and gave pos feedback.
My ebay experience has been great. Just buy with logic, not emotion.

I have never sold anything on ebay but have bought parts for my saws and tractor as well as some electronic devises. I research the items I want to buy and a price that I want to pay for them. I have never had a bad experience and sometimes it is the only place to find what I want.

Back