Ebay has some competition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey sawbid,
Hope the forum-chat area does lead to:
"I got ripped off by this seller", "I got burned", "This seller sucks", ect.
Seems nothing good ever comes out of such conversing!

Teddy.Scout,

I agree with you and it WILL NOT led to anything like that. I will have strict rules against that! If a member has a problem with another member, they are required to contact the admin if they are unable to resolve it between themselves first. If they do not abide by them, they WILL be banned from both sites!

Any other ideas?

Todd

Teddy.Scout,

I agree with you and it WILL NOT led to anything like that. I will have strict rules against that! If a member has a problem with another member, they are required to contact the admin if they are unable to resolve it between themselves first. If they do not abide by them, they WILL be banned from both sites!

Any other ideas?

Todd

Ebay had rules like that too, but as time went on apparently they got lazy and wouldn't check into things when they said they would. All they care about now is that the money keeps rolling in!

I have never stuck up for ebay...and never will, but as a site grows to that size, it becomes even more important for members to report other members when needed! I do in fact hope that my site grows within this community, and as the time comes, I will be promoting moderators and admin personnel to help keep the site honest.

A good friend of mine got fried and had his listings removed because he put the Stihl logo on every part he listed. In their opinion it was infringement.

That's not "opinion", that's settled legal fact. If you don't have a license from Stihl to use their logo, any use is infringement. It's got nothing to do with whether the parts are genuine or not. No license, no use. Period.

This isn't really hard to understand, people.

Teddy.Scout,

Any other ideas?

Todd

Doesn't that further penalize the victim and in effect subsidize the thief by keeping future victims in the dark?

I don't understand how you think banning the ones that can't "play by the rules" will penalize anyone. If that member was banned, there wouldn't be any "future victims". If wanted, I can create a place in the forum where the site admin can post the banned user names so everyone can see them...as a "watch out for" forum.

trimmed, do you have any ideas on how to prevent this possible situation? I am only trying to prevent any "bashing" that would inevitably occur if given the opportunity.

chopperfreak2k1,

Thanks for the support! It is a good day for the site, they are small milestones to be sure, but we went over the 50,000 page view mark and the websites first bid was placed today!!! Thanks farley9n!

Todd

I don't understand how you think banning the ones that can't "play by the rules" will penalize anyone. If that member was banned, there wouldn't be any "future victims". If wanted, I can create a place in the forum where the site admin can post the banned user names so everyone can see them...as a "watch out for" forum.

trimmed, do you have any ideas on how to prevent this possible situation? I am only trying to prevent any "bashing" that would inevitably occur if given the opportunity.

I may have misunderstood your post. I took it as you saying you would ban those naming another member that screwed them not that you were banning the guy doing the screwing. That the ban would be for outing the thief and not going through admin first. Isn't that what you were saying?

Are you guaranteeing each deal with your money? Is there an escrow somewhere? I'm not sure why you feel the "screwed" need your approval to tell others they are getting screwed. Maybe I'm missing something, let me know what that is.

First, there is a reputation (much like feedback) system which would, could, should and eventually will indicate any amount of risk you as a buyer face from a seller. Of course this won't do much good until the site "takes off" and individual sellers and buyers begin earning their reputation marks. I have been thinking about setting members reputation to correspond with their eBay’s feedback. I haven't decided on this yet because there are good/bad and fair/not fair either way. I will allow members to link to their feedback in any listings if they choose to do so or at least put in their ebay username in their listing so others can research it if they want to.

As far as banning members and to answer your question…yes, simply put, members that are “screwing” other members will be banned. I have no way of knowing that this is happening unless I am told, however. I am simply offering a service to all who wish to use it. I am glad you asked, but unfortunately there is no escrow or backing at this time. Furthermore, I would not be giving the “screwed” “my approval” to tell others they are getting or have gotten screwed. What I was saying is that an honest mistake is just that! If a seller makes one and is willing to correct it, do you feel that you should be able to go on the forum and discredit him/her by telling everyone you got “screwed” instead of attempting to fix the issue first? That is what I WILL be trying to prevent.

Thanks for the very valid points and questions...anymore?
Todd

sometimes at the feed store someone pins up a buggered up ratty piece of paper that you can tear the phone number off of and give 'em a jingle. Or if yer lucky, they'll just put the saw back by the consignment saddles.

Best wishes Saw Bid, truly.

Your title may be a little bit inaccurate. "Ebay has some competition". I'll bet that Ebay never even notices the competition. No more ads that are currently running would hardly be called competition to a mega company like Ebay. Not meaning to give your company a hard time or anything, but competition it ain't!

Ebay had to start somewhere also. But I would say they had alot more start-up capitol. I can't really say what it would take to compete with Ebay, but trying to gain peoples trust is'nt a bad way to start.

I hope this gets going also. But I hope it never goes the way that Ebay has gone. I can remember when Ebay was the go to place to find anything you needed cheaper than you could pick it up in any store. Now you're hard-pressed to find a store thats mopre expensive. It isint the seller's fault. They have to charge more just to profit after Ebay gets in thier pockets.

I hope you realize how easy even Ebay can be hacked into by a true pro. Trying to keep the hackers at bay will be your toughest challenge I would say. And if you're site starts picking up, they will we on the attack you can bank on that.

yeah i'm in support of this too. as mentioned before this really can't be a bad thing for those of us who buy saws and saw parts, least i can't see how it could be bad.

Thanks guys...

Yes, ebay did have to start somewhere, but it honestly was A LOT more difficult for them when they started. They filled a niche and ruined it. People use to flock to that site, now people (buyers aside) run from it. I am trying to provide an option for sellers to "run back to". As far as hackers…I do have the best preventatives against that. I have the SSL securing and encrypting your personal information as well as Sitelock constantly scanning the site. A “true pro” could hack into anything they wanted to: private, city, state or federal sites are all vulnerable to them.

Todd

Latest posts

Back