Ebay has some competition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just in case you are wondering what sawbid's site statistics are, here is a screen capture of them. Of course they are not mind boggling numbers, but keep in mind the site is VERY young (23 days). I was pretty amazed in the amount of traffic that was viewing the site...there is a lot of interested people visiting.

The majority of those are Google, Yahoo, and similar spiders and indexers.

Nice, I got my AS user name but when I click the e-mail activation link I get this:

sawbid webpage said:
Error: Account activation is not possible using this feature or the activation details you have submitted are invalid.
WTF?

Biker Dude,

I approved you manually. Sorry about all of this. We are trying to track down the issues. I was doing maintenance on the site so it could have messed something up...anyways, you are able to list if you choose.

...problem fixed!!

Todd

Last edited:
I even take pictures of the filter, fuel line etc.. showing the oregon, forester packaging and part #. Because I buy parts off ebay, and hate getting aftermarket when I though I was buying oem. So don't do it to my customers either.
I ordered a "genuine" 272 air filter a few months ago, only to get a aftermarket one that I could have bought (direct from where he got it from) for half of what I paid!
I did complain to Curt, he refunded me a few bucks, and I do notice that Curt is not claiming its genuine anymore, So at least he did the right thing (eventually).
I'm definitely with you Blood -I'll disclose that its aftermarket, I don't need to take the risk of getting bad feedback, These big sellers aren't effected as much by negs when they have 11,000 feedbacks. :cheers:
P.S. I do hope sawbid gets off the ground, and it keeps its fees fair because I'm tired of getting reemed by eBays fees.
I use Craigslist for certain saws (that are popular in my area) if I can get within 10-20 percent of what ebay will fetch.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing an alternative myself. However, it's going to be years before this sawbid thing has the exposure that e-bay currently does. Also, is sawbid going to be worldwide? I buy a lot of saw parts for my vintage stuff from overseas...

I always figured ebay would be out of business if someone else started a selling site and didn't have all the fees and nonsense that ebay had. You have to be willing to sell something for next to nothing when you list it on ebay because of their increasingly higher fees. Ebay also has lots of scammers who cheat people a few times then change their user name. Eventually if this is ever corrected on another site ebay will be history.

The whole "internet as a modern-day wild west" thing does bite us all in the keester, doesn't it.

So what can we do? I'm sure Ebay doesn't care, so long as the profits keep rolling in...

Would we agree with some sort of guaranteed identity bonding scenario to sell on a website? Sites that have a brick and mortar storefront haven't gone away, probaby because we trust them a little more.

And there are other online auction/sales outlets. But none of the others have the presence and recognition Ebay does. I'm sure their business plan recognizes that, and they will react quickly as soon as someone pops up to eat their lunch.

Ebay will announce laying off 1200 people, new controls and rules, etc. Maybe in the end, some sort of open-source model will infect the online auction business.

My wife was at a yard sale last week, and many of the more expensive items had screen shots of Ebay completed sales or B-I-N's taped to them. She offerred $10 for a working scroll saw, and they took it, so perhaps their strategy was rake in as much as they could, but make some people feel good about getting a deal on unneeded stuff, too.

Now I need some scroll saw blades...

Each website does in fact have unnecessary risks because of dishonest people. It is a risk that most people are willing to accept. As far as fees on my site, the only reason they could or would go up is if the cost to maintain or better the site goes up. This is by no means a get-rich-quick scheme for me. In fact, even as it stands now, it will probably take a few years to break ahead of the initial costs couple with sponsorships and advertisement for me to break even. I do this out of passion for this community (good people), and the strong “dislike” of ebay! :chainsaw:

The option to use "amazon payments" has just been added for those of you who wish to use it. I am trying to diversify your options so your not stuck with Paypal as your only online option. So far you can choose to use Paypal, google checkout, or amazon payments.

Hope this helps,
Todd

Between ebay and paypal you lose right at 10% of your selling price to them in fees. I hope this works out so we can not be robbed by ebay to sell something.

It depends on the how you list and how high the reserve and all of that. I've sold some that was 9% and one that was 14%. I won't list in 2 categories anymore for sure.

If you look at their fees it is any insertion costs that you choose (on average about $1), final value fee 9%, and then paypal is 2.9% + $.30...so if you are selling something for...say $20 it will cost you ABOUT $3.20 in fees from ebay and paypal...that is roughly 16%. So for you guys selling parts on ebay...I don't understand how you survive...

Todd

The option to use "amazon payments" has just been added for those of you who wish to use it. I am trying to diversify your options so your not stuck with Paypal as your only online option. So far you can choose to use Paypal, google checkout, or amazon payments.

Hope this helps,
Todd

This is a great idea. I didn't know this was in the works. Agreed sleeze bay and pay pal are robbing us. I hope this works out and maybe I can find what I need.

steve:cheers:

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share that the interest in the site continues to increase significantly everyday...as far as people checking it out. I am in the works of incorporating a forum on it as well. It will NOT be a forum such as this, but about the sawbid site. Topics will include stuff like what you like about the site, what you don't like, ideas for the site, members chat areas, ect... any other ideas on topics for that forum? I attached the site stats for the site...we just went over 50,000 page views in only 6 weeks!!! There is still that hesitation from people that I am trying to overcome, but it will just take time I suppose...

Back