Ebay screwup!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dapper Dan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Must be the week for it!
This will be my 3rd saw from ebay.
First two were a Ok.
This one looked the best of all and...was the worst!
026 Pro
Even has a video of it starting with one pull.

Got it UPS today, eagrly unpacked it.
Cleaned it up pretty good then put some fresh gas and bar oil and pulled her over.....and over...and over!
Started a time or two on full choke, ran for two seconds and died.
Would not restart.
Pulled the plug...soaking wet.
Musta flooded it.
Cleaned plug and pulled and pulled.....and pulled.
Went to Autozone, got a new plug....same thing.
Squirted some mix in the carb and it started and died.
Third time...it ran.
Sluggish to accelerate, picked up a little, stuttered awhile and then went to FULL SCREAM (15,000 tached) and I let off!
HMMMM....Carb adjustments all screwed up...me thinks.
As i'm working on this thing I'm thinking what a P.I.A it is to work on.
The filter cover removal and re-install is best described as "Mickey Mouse".
You really need to remove the top cover to deal with the plug.
I check the compression....160 lbs
Spark is good.
Finally get it fired up again with the top cover, filter cover and air filter removed. (after more squirts of mix.)
Finally get the low set so it idles decent and accellerates Ok.
Try to set the high and it either bumbles along, four stroking badly at about 10,500 , then momentarly about normal (12,500 or so) followed by a suden burst that, if held WOT, will surely blow it to smitherens.
I'm guessing either a junk carb or a bad air leak?

Better you than me!

That really sucks. It sounds like if you get it straightened out you might have a good saw.

I especially like the full sized start handle...

Sorry you're having issues with it. It can't be that bad though with 160 psi compression and running. I'd disassemble and clean the carb. If everything looks good in there, I'd say you need a new coil. I had an 084 coil that didn't want to rev. Replaced it and all was good.

That sounds like at least one air leak, I chased that with my 026. Pressure test and vac test, its worth it.

I really don't think you have an air leak. Does it idle consistently and return to the same RPM each time? I'm still seriously suspecting the coil if it's not the carb. Do you have another coil to swap onto this saw?

Fuel line inside the tank are bad to collapse. This could cause the poor accelaration and the hish rpms. Just a thought... Good luck.

The most common "airleak" in the 026 is flywheel side cranks seal.

026 Coils issues are rare - they either work or they don't.

Last edited:
Sorry too hear that Dan,

Strange that hi speed behavior? Almost sounds electrical? like a shorting plug wire/coil? It's that or the carb. Sort of makes you wonder now about that handle on there! Like maybe this previous owner had some experiance yanking on it?

Strange that hi speed behavior? Almost sounds electrical? like a shorting plug wire/coil? It's that or the carb. Sort of makes you wonder now about that handle on there! Like maybe this previous owner had some experiance yanking on it?

I don't see how the handle could have anything to do with it. Maybe a coil problem. But if it was a ground wire shorting out, it wouldn't start and idle correctly nor turn 15K RPMs.

The seller probably had one working 026 and several bad ones. He was showing the video of the one working and selling the others. Thats why I'm scared of ebay... hard to trust people you don't know.

I don't see how the handle could have anything to do with it. Maybe a coil problem. But if it was a ground wire shorting out, it wouldn't start and idle correctly nor turn 15K RPMs.

Brad my man, The handle was a joke:) because of the snowmobile handle on a 026 and Dan saying he pulled his arm off?

I didn't mean a ground wire I mean the plug wire/coil. I've had one short intermitently and bounce a bit and scream. It's more than likely the carb but it's easy and cheap too check the former.:cheers:

If not electrical,You might have a metering problem in the carb.Check the diaphrams and screen in the carb.And blowout the jets while you have it apart.That should fix it.Mark:)

LOL!

I almost bought that saw! I passed up on it though because I already have a mint 026 Pro and didn't need another toy. I do specifically recall thinking to myself...

"Whoever gets that saw will get a good deal."

Guess not!

icon10.gif

Hope you get it running good.
icon14.gif

StihlRockin'

The carb does not respond well to adjustments.
At one point, with the air cleaner off, it was stumbling, trying to rev and spraying out fuel mist OUT of the carb. Next second it takes off like a jet!
I'm thinkin this may have to go to the dealer as it's probably beyond my very limited experence.

Probably end up close to what I coulda bought a new 260 pro for!

Reminds me why I just bit the bullet and bought most of my other saws new.

Don't do that yet. Get that carb off there and take it apart. There's VERY little to it. If it needs a kit, they're only like $10-$15. Coils are cheap too for that saw. I'd rather throw parts at something and fix it myself. It usually ends up cheaper in the long run.

Last edited:
Back