Ebay shipping damage.....thoughts????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
Reaction score
long story short, bought a saw on ebay.

Saw arrived and there was a tear in the box, bar and chain missing. Saw was shipped to me through the USPS. There were little stickers over the tear in the box that said some contents may be missing. I contacted the seller and let him know. Anyone have any luck with the USPS? I have never filed a claim and wondered what is needed to be done to try to get the bar replaced or reimbursed for the bar and chain. It was left on my porch, so I didn't have to sign for anything...I've always been told to inspect items before signing, but this was not signed...

Last edited:
I would unload both barrels and go nuts on a claim. They have to do something...If Im wrong I will never use USPS again.

Well if it was insured you have at least a small chance. The first thing is to contact the shipper. They will have to file the insurance claim. Another option is to file a claim at your local post office for "lost/dead mail". They are supposed to then look for the item. I have had no luck with the lost bars that were supposed to be sent to me. I had a entire saw lost on it's way to me and it took 6 months for USPS to issue a partial payment.

Bill

BTW, the bar and chain were STIHL ES brand new.....It wouldn't be much of an issue to me if it was some wore out bar....

Damn I hate to hear about issues like this. Makes me super skeptical about buying saws through the mail, even though I havent had any issues so far.....Good Luck Freakingstang, hope it works out for you.

if it was insured, you fill out a form & give it to the Post Office along w/ receipt for item. Problem is: you're probably going to have to give them the saw & order another one,unless your receipt shows a separate price for Bar & chain.

This is sounding just like I imagined it....not good.

Bowtie, I have bought and sold well over 100 saws and this is the first problem I've had. The saw was packaged well, but the box was really thin. Definitely not HD saw type box...

just so you know the fact that it had the sticker saying 'something may be missing" indicates it happened before setting on your porch. That said they know something was probably missing. That said I would contact the post office and inform them that something is missing. The fact that the box tear happened sometime during transit means it was a problem through post office you should have no problem submitting a claim.

just so you know the fact that it had the sticker saying 'something may be missing" indicates it happened before setting on your porch. That said they know something was probably missing. That said I would contact the post office and inform them that something is missing. The fact that the box tear happened sometime during transit means it was a problem through post office you should have no problem submitting a claim.

Thats kinda what I thought, but I dont know what their "disclaimers" are.

This sounds promising....but I get on a plane monday morning and won't be back for a while. Any idea how long I have to file a claim? Can something like this be done over the phone, or does it have to be at the usps counter?

if it was insured, you fill out a form & give it to the Post Office along w/ receipt for item. Problem is: you're probably going to have to give them the saw & order another one,unless your receipt shows a separate price for Bar & chain.

He does not have to give up the saw and as for filling out the forms that only applies to dead mail as I noted. If it is an insurance clain the shipper needs to make the claim.

Bill

Well I just heard back from the seller and he said I needed to file the claim. He did not state whether or not it had insurance....so I am in limbo till I hear back from him

I have once before made a claim against a courier for lost items from the box, In my claim it was the person sending the item that had to make the claim. KEEP THE BOX the company will send a loss assessor round to inspect the damage and make sure the packaging was suitable, it took over 6 months to get £85 back from parcel force.

As he said if they have a sticker already made then they have had this problem before!!! Pursue the matter !

Well I just heard back from the seller and he said I needed to file the claim. He did not state whether or not it had insurance....so I am in limbo till I hear back from him
If it was shipped through UPS it will have 100.00$ worth of insurance. UPS offers this free. The shipper will have to file a claim. UPS may look at the package and determine it it was packaged well. If they say that is was not packaged properly the may not honor the claim. If they do honor the claim the shipper will have to fill out a claim and they will reimburse him the cost of the bar and chain and then he will have to reimburse you , or buy you a new bar and chain. Save all the packing material and the box because they will want to see it.

He/she is full of crap. The sender/shipper has to file the claim period.

Bill

Bill G: I am only relaying my actual experience w/ a similar problem-sorry if it doesn't agree w/ your expert opinion! I received a large offshore fishing reel in a damaged box. The reel had a cracked frame. The P O had me fill out a form, give them the reel & purchase receipt,& they paid the seller .he refunded my money as soon as I sent him a copy of the claim show him as the recipient.

I just got off the phone with the seller. he is going to get ahold of the USPS first thing in the morning with the pictures I am going to send him of the box damage. If the post office won't do anything, he said he will refund me a fair price for a bar and chain. he said he has only had one problem with the USPS in the lat 4 years and the claim took 4 months or something along those lines to get resolved. he said he would rather reimburse me for the bar than going through the usps hassle, if there is one....

Might turn out better than I thought!!!!

I just got off the phone with the seller. he is going to get ahold of the USPS first thing in the morning with the pictures I am going to send him of the box damage. If the post office won't do anything, he said he will refund me a fair price for a bar and chain. he said he has only had one problem with the USPS in the lat 4 years and the claim took 4 months or something along those lines to get resolved. he said he would rather reimburse me for the bar than going through the usps hassle, if there is one....

Might turn out better than I thought!!!!

Looks like you found a decent ebay user, good luck & keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back