Ebaysuxdotcom

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how Ebay is trying to force the small guys out of biz? It started with the no feedback left by sellers. Now they own Paypal, and want to make that mandatory. The list of B.S. goes on and on.

My Girlfriend just sold something on Ebay. They have put her money in Paypal on a 21 day hold, until she recieves a positive feedback from the buyer. What the He!! is going on with Ebay? This is just one problem. I am sure many AS members have horror stories to add.

So, I did a little investigative work. I found a couple interesting things. Here is one of them:

http://www.ebaysucks.com/

EBay has not been a good thing for a long time.

However, it will be much easier for you to report your earnings with a paypal account, perhaps soon EBay will do it for you. Good luck.

Yet another dissatisfied ebay user....I just payed my listing fees and commission bill. Takes a good chunk of the $ from the sales.

Craigslist here I come.

Like any company, the bigger they get, the more out of touch with reality they are. I agree, ebay has changed, not for the better either. They've started catering to the buyer at the expence of the sellers. There's no even ground anymore. I used to have stuff for sale all the time, now it's only once & awhile. They don't seem to realize, if they lose all the sellers, there won't be any buyers.

one thing they will never loose is the scam artists.

fleabay has been over run by greed, overhead, ridiculous executive compensation/excesses. i would estimate they have around 20% of the legit sellers they used to have.

i do not feel for ebay!

:greenchainsaw:

one thing they will never loose is the scam artists.

fleabay has been over run by greed, overhead, ridiculous executive compensation/excesses. i would estimate they have around 20% of the legit sellers they used to have.

i do not feel for ebay!

:greenchainsaw:

yea they love charging a seller tons of fees so they can sock it to a seller twice by using paypal and the auction block maybe that is why they were on the national news not to long ago

i wish there were other auction sites out there

Yet another dissatisfied ebay user....I just payed my listing fees and commission bill. Takes a good chunk of the $ from the sales.

Craigslist here I come.

yea the briggs stratton lot i sold not to long ago worth over 258.80 dealer price only sold for 25.00 - 6.95 - 8.00 so all i made is around 15 minus the fees and such

so its not good to sell on there cause ebay makes 5.00 for every 20.00 you sale for that is not fair if i can say so

after these current items i have on there get done i probily will create a seperate catalog on my own site just for bulky packages with parts in it and probily will have dealer priceing on them have you heard of google checkout ? much nicer than paypal

Last edited:
Yep, the fees are way too high now. I also see more people refusing to take Paypal in their auctions. Oh yea, there is a Paypalsucksdotcom also. I hate that new format too. If you go to the Ebay discussion boards, there are a lot of unhappy sellers. Many say they are finished, I am looking for somewhere else to sell my stuff.

Ebay has gone down the crapper. The new management has screwed things up bad.

eBay is GREAT!!! Never had a problem. I have saved so much money with eBay it is unbelievable. From $3000 new motorcycle big bore kits for $800 to my brand new MS361 for $430ish shipped.

BTW: eBay has owned PayPal for a long time and I have had zero problems with them either. I have had well over $100,000 travel through PayPal so far this year.

Ebay is great if you are a buyer! Sellers are getting the shaft, which means the shaft will be passed on to you. I used to watch another auction site, can't remember the name of it. Having a senior moment? I will be moving over there, if I can think of the dam name of it. Google to the rescue!

I may be the odd one out, but I've sold on ebay for 3 years, not a problem yet. We process thousands in PayPal every month, no problems there either.

I've been buying and selling on Ebay for a decade and haven't had much in the way of problems.

I wish Ebay had some real competition but I don't see how any other auction sites can possibly get to critical mass.

That is the problem, no competition. The sellers fees have gone crazy, and you have no recourse with problem bidders. Why can't sellers leave negative feedback? If you have some idiot who wins something, then changes his mind, seller is screwed. Then you can't warn other sellers about said idot.

Now they are wanting to make Paypal mandatory. I don't mind Paypal, except for a few quircks. I use it all the time, their fees are also high. But it is an easy way to send people money online.

That is the problem, no competition. The sellers fees have gone crazy, and you have no recourse with problem bidders. Why can't sellers leave negative feedback? If you have some idiot who wins something, then changes his mind, seller is screwed. Then you can't warn other sellers about said idot.

Now they are wanting to make Paypal mandatory. I don't mind Paypal, except for a few quircks. I use it all the time, their fees are also high. But it is an easy way to send people money online.

PayPal fees are CHEAP. You should compare it to other credit card merchant services. PayPal is up to 2% cheaper then some. People do not seem to realize that any business that takes credit cards must pay a fee to have that processed. I do run a business and choose to use PayPal because of the savings.

For parts and smaller ticket items I don't mind the fees. But on the last saw I sold between Ebay fees
and Paypal fees it was 10% of the sale price of the saw.
I've tried selling saws on Craigslist but most people will low ball you badly.
I tried selling my 084 on CL with a 25" and 30" bars brand new chains and the saw was a strong runner and wanted to get 650$.
And I never got an offer over 400$ and said screw it.
For the time being, I think selling stuff on the Tradin' Post section of this site is the way to go.
Most of the guys are stand up people, and I've never had an issue yet.

Have to agree that without the sellers being able to leave negative feedback, delinquent buyers will run wild. Can't really comment on the fees side as I've never been a seller, BUT....have been gouged more than once on the "shipping & handling" charges. Seems that is where everyone is trying to make up for lost money. It drives me mad when you pay $15 for shipping and when you get the package the postage is $5!
I always leave honest feedback. Let's face it, it's the only way the system will work. That goes both ways. If everything goes fine, but the shipping is way off, I post it just that way.
Some decent competition couldn't hurt.

Back