Ebaysuxdotcom

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ebay and paypal have been joined for years. I use paypal for my online business to take credit card payments and it has been well for me. If i was to set my business up to use credit cards via the normal way it would cost me between 50 & 125 bucks a month if i sell anything or not. Paypal only charges when it gets used so it dosen't cost me that much. As for ebay sure they may charge an arm and a leg but i can find stuff there faster and easier than any where else i just watch what i sell....Bob

ebay used to be great back in around 1998-2000.

you wouldnt believe how many straight up good sellers there were on ebay then.

I never paid anything with a credit card then, only checks, and money orders.

Now you have to pretty much pay with a credit card to be sure you wont be ripped off.

Oh and the frenzy of buying stuff online then was amazing. I could go to Best Buy, pick up a open box laptop, sell it on Ebay the next day, and make 200$ dollars.

Never got ripped off once, and you could buy cool stuff on ebay then as well like guns., now all guns, gun parts are banned. even gun holsters I believe. ( maybe not, i coulda sworn all you could sell for holsters before was .22 or airsoft gun holsters, but it seems there is regular holsters on there now.

ridiculous.

Last edited:
Never got ripped off once, and you could buy cool stuff on ebay then as well like guns., now all guns, gun parts are banned. even gun holsters I believe. ( maybe not, i coulda sworn all you could sell for holsters before was .22 or airsoft gun holsters, but it seems there is regular holsters on there now.

There is still http://www.gunbroker.com and http://auctionarms.com for the good stuff :) ...Bob

PayPal fees are CHEAP. You should compare it to other credit card merchant services. PayPal is up to 2% cheaper then some. People do not seem to realize that any business that takes credit cards must pay a fee to have that processed. I do run a business and choose to use PayPal because of the savings.

Well speaking strictly fees, paypal is more expensive than through our merchant acct. But the processing company tacks on so many extra charges that PayPal comes out just a wee bit cheaper.

PayPal fees are CHEAP. You should compare it to other credit card merchant services. PayPal is up to 2% cheaper then some. People do not seem to realize that any business that takes credit cards must pay a fee to have that processed. I do run a business and choose to use PayPal because of the savings.

yea come to think of it they are cheaper than credit card processing companys like authorize .net etc.

currently i pay the online gateway 39.95 month plus merchant services 3.89 % plus 0.35 per transaction

but google checkout charges $ 0.00 if you have a adwords acct with them

in reality when you figure in cost of goods to sell versus cost of transactions cost of server fees to host the site etc. it adds up i have actually went from buying postage tape for packages to buying stick on labels already ready to print and stick 250 labels only costed me $ 35.00 with shipping

for people who own Homelite 330s me and kyle are your cheapest place for boots for them we are about the same price shipping and cost of the part

but go to ebay you pay 16.99 to a certain person plus shipping so you know them boots are cheaper thru one of us before going to ebay

Last edited:
For parts and smaller ticket items I don't mind the fees. But on the last saw I sold between Ebay fees
and Paypal fees it was 10% of the sale price of the saw.
I've tried selling saws on Craigslist but most people will low ball you badly.
I tried selling my 084 on CL with a 25" and 30" bars brand new chains and the saw was a strong runner and wanted to get 650$.
And I never got an offer over 400$ and said screw it.
For the time being, I think selling stuff on the Tradin' Post section of this site is the way to go.
Most of the guys are stand up people, and I've never had an issue yet.

is craigslist a good way of advertiseing ?

if so where on there do you do that at

I just read that Ebay, on Feb 20 will lower listing fees.

BUT! They are going to RAISE fees on items sold!!

I checked my Paypal, they take about 10 bucks from me when I sell a saw. Between Paypal and Ebay, they are getting a good chunk of change. Paypal is handy with the credit/debit card. They actually pay me a few cents to use the card at stores.

I checked my Paypal, they take about 10 bucks from me when I sell a saw. Between Paypal and Ebay, they are getting a good chunk of change. Paypal is handy with the credit/debit card. They actually pay me a few cents to use the card at stores.

same here scootr on the dividends

For real? They just did that same thing earlier this year. Drop like 5 cents from the insertion fee and add 4% or so to the final value fee. What a bunch of losers.

Say what you want about ebay, but I'd like to know where else you can get world wide advertising for their price.

Like any company, the bigger they get, the more out of touch with reality they are. I agree, ebay has changed, not for the better either. They've started catering to the buyer at the expence of the sellers. There's no even ground anymore. I used to have stuff for sale all the time, now it's only once & awhile. They don't seem to realize, if they lose all the sellers, there won't be any buyers.

You'll notice a lot of these new "changes" coincide with the departure of former e-bay CEO Meg Whitman.

Fleabait

I must hear from about 5 people a week asking if there's anything we(I work for an ISP) can do about them getting ripped on that site. I know alot of people have good results, but I know alot more that don't. Even paypal is slacking I think. I think are starting to use foreign phone customer service also. If I could give any advice about that site at all is STAY FAR AWAY. I like buying from people I meet anyways. That's just me, OLD!!!!! hehehehehehe

:cheers: eh?

Not to mention about once a week paypal gets hacked and they get your credit card number and charge lap dances with it, lmao...

Back